Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

14 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

If we got promoted, the squad would be strengthened

Which is exactly what Burnley said. Right now they are tactically inept and losing to the most basic passes that nullify their positions. Similar to Marsch's Leeds where a single diagonal route 1 pass would undo their entire midfield and defence, Ironically the space that Ricardo is leaving open is the exact same space Leeds got hammered by in the Premier League, every week Leeds would activate their press and the opposition would just lump it diagonally to the space left by the full back who was pressing into the middle.
I fear that we wouldn't have the finances to strengthen enough to make what we want to do work, as Burnley are also finding out. It then comes down to whether the manager has the ability to be flexible, so far Kompany hasn't really addressed this issue but very early days. Worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Which is exactly what Burnley said. Right now they are tactically inept and losing to the most basic passes that nullify their positions. Similar to Marsch's Leeds where a single diagonal route 1 pass would undo their entire midfield and defence, Ironically the space that Ricardo is leaving open is the exact same space Leeds got hammered by in the Premier League, every week Leeds would activate their press and the opposition would just lump it diagonally to the space left by the full back who was pressing into the middle.
I fear that we wouldn't have the finances to strengthen enough to make what we want to do work, as Burnley are also finding out. It then comes down to whether the manager has the ability to be flexible, so far Kompany hasn't really addressed this issue but very early days. Worth keeping an eye on.

They've also had a very hard start to the season

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cropstonfox said:

Man city would still have won the past Trophies playing 4.321 or 433 as they have the best players.

Players win games ,formations are important but secondary in importance. 

If we get promoted with this squad we will be in a relegation battle regardless of tactics.

They very likely would, but they would also have been far better matched IMO if they were playing these rigid roles. When you have the players capable of playing really fluid and dynamic styles where for the most part a formation is just for paper, and you have midfielders ending up between your own winger and the opponents centre back, and a full back ending up in a Central position and sometimes even outside the box, you can do it because everyone else is good enough to cover. But you do need top class players to make it work.

This is the difference, Man City could play the system of any team in this league, but hardly anyone else can play Man City's system.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

They've also had a very hard start to the season

They definitely have so it will be interesting to see how they evolve, but from what i've seen they are creating their own mess. Their midfield and back 4 is so agressive they leave themselves open to the most basic of attacks.. This was their first goal conceded vs villa (Villa in white), the 3rd goal their defensive line was just as high. Also conceded a couple similar against spurs.
image.thumb.png.b36b76c20e1d80cb665a9ce1a7320f6c.png

Edited by cityfanlee23

41 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

They very likely would, but they would also have been far better matched IMO if they were playing these rigid roles. When you have the players capable of playing really fluid and dynamic styles where for the most part a formation is just for paper, and you have midfielders ending up between your own winger and the opponents centre back, and a full back ending up in a Central position and sometimes even outside the box, you can do it because everyone else is good enough to cover. But you do need top class players to make it work.

This is the difference, Man City could play the system of any team in this league, but hardly anyone else can play Man City's system.

Good point from both sides.But still believe that desire and motivation are equally important to clever tactics.

Great players make great teams.

Mahrez,Kante,Vardy world class players in a 4.4 1,1 won us the premier league.

This was with the support of hungry well drilled top players.Yes football has moved on, but in 2016  4.4 1,1 was old school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Never thought I'd see the day people were pining for the brexit Burnley of old lol

I'd definitely wait for them to play some teams that won't be in and around the top 6 before deciding they're useless.

Love the response but just to be clear, I don't think they are useless altogether, but in their 3 matches this season they have been pretty useless and their 11 goals conceded was just as much their own fault rather than the opposition being world class. Long way to go, but if they continue to play how they are now and they don't fix these glaring high line issues they will go down with a whimper. Either way they will definitely be one of the teams we should be watching as a warning sign should we not improve dramatically between now and the end of the season and we scrape up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Love the response but just to be clear, I don't think they are useless altogether, but in their 3 matches this season they have been pretty useless and their 11 goals conceded was just as much their own fault rather than the opposition being world class. Long way to go, but if they continue to play how they are now and they don't fix these glaring high line issues they will go down with a whimper. Either way they will definitely be one of the teams we should be watching as a warning sign should we not improve dramatically between now and the end of the season and we scrape up.

I'd agree and I assume they'd have expected that to be the case. I suppose if you want to be well drilled, you can't keep changing how you play as the players will get no rhythm to their performances. So I suppose you go into those games knowing there's a good chance you'll get slapped.

When managers seem to change style for each game I think it likely affects performance levels as a whole and you start seeing meek performances against teams you should be taking the game to. Look at how Rodgers reacted to the Liverpool and Man City games, he stopped backing his style and it was just a downward trend from there.

The first big test for them this season is Monday night I reckon. These are the games where they need to make it count.

• Like 1

Might not be the correct topic but there you are.....

SCOUTED logo
Cesare Casadei
A cutout photo of Chelsea's Cesare Casadei set against a white background
Stephen Ganavas
August 9, 2023

Who is Cesare Casadei?
It’s hard to imagine Cesare Casadei could ever have envisioned the 2022/23 season he was about to have 12 months ago. The first surprise came with his shock move to Chelsea as he became caught up in the loan deal that saw Romelu Lukaku return to the Blues.

Date of birth: 10/01/2003
Position: Box-to-box midfielder
Height: 1.85 metres
Preferred foot: Right
Then came the struggles with adapting to England, being stuck in Chelsea’s U-21 team for half the season, before a January loan to Reading allowed him to show his promise, despite playing in a struggling side.

All that experience gained eventually culminated in some remarkable performances at this summer’s FIFA U-20 World Cup, in which the big midfielder earned the tournament’s Golden Ball and Golden Boot awards, scoring six goals in seven games, driving Italy to the final. We had him in our bespoke team of the tournament too,

More here - https://www.scoutedftbl.com/best-young-football-players/cesare-casadei/

9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

@StriderHiryu I am expecting a post with a breakdown and a gif from you later about the build up to that Ndidi goal :thumbup:

Pure Enzo-ball

No pressure eh? :ph34r:

So far one big tactical thing to notice is that JJ brought into the team to cut out the long diagonal to Ryan Christie. I haven't seen enough of Southampton play to comment, but this seems like a specific tactic they use, and he's dealt with it well several times already.

On 14/09/2023 at 16:33, StriderHiryu said:

This one came up on my YouTube feed today, and whilst it might initially appear to be about Chelsea, it actually goes into why the 3241 system Pep and Maresca use is good at breaking low blocks. We see so much of what Man City were good at in our play already, which is pointed out in this video. A lot of this was new for me, so I found it very interesting!

• Crosses come from our number 8's instead of our wingers. That's because crosses from the byline against a deep block are much easier to defend against.
  • Our wingers are good at dribbling and 1v1s so on paper they can go either way against a defender. Helps create more space to make goal opportunities.
  • In a 4231 / 433, you usually try to play around a defensive block. In this system, you try to play through it.
  • The structure of the 3421 means defenders have tough choices. If you push up, the ball in behind for the striker is on. If you step back too much, the 8's can do whatever they want.
  • The 3421 system means attacks should be distributed evenly across both wings and the middle.
  • You create goal threats from multiple players, not just the striker.

In the clip, if you look at the structure and moves that Man City make, it's near identical to what Maresca is trying to do.

In my opinion it's just a matter of time before things start clicking for us. Players need to get used to playing this way and playing with one another. But we already see the movements, the positions and runs into the right spaces. Maresca in his Southampton pre-match mentioned the review with players that stayed and teaching them to control the tempo and playing the right type of pass at the right time to open teams up. It might take us a few weeks and months to get good at that, but I am convinced it's coming!

Will watch this soon but actually now that I think of it, how many times have we seen that Kevin De Bruyne cross from that right sided 8 position where he either clips it into the back post, or puts in a fast whipped crossed curled across the box. Makes sense!

I think Maresca has been a great appointment for LCFC.

He’s tactically good, we’ve signed players sensibly, he’s giving the youth a chance and he’s outed the players he didn’t want.

He’s also very cool. Didn’t seem to give a shite when we lost to Hull and seems very stable and level headed.

I’m really liking what I’m seeing. I’m still confused re Ndidi’s role, but what’s that now.. two for the season already?

LG under Enzo methinks

• Like 2