Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

22 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Q: Why have we "not got out of second gear?"

A: Because it takes time. Lots of it. LOTS!

Coaching a new style of play is extremely difficult. Doing it with tons of new signings even harder. Below is a comparison of Brendan Rodgers versus Jurgen Klopp after 85 games. That's almost 2 whole seasons. It looked like his style wouldn't work in the league, but slowly but surely it clicked.

People are massively underestimating the work Enzo Maresca has done. We got relegated last season because we conceded 68 goals. This season, we have conceded just 6. Look at how many goals Southampton and Leeds have conceded by comparison. He's fixed one huge problem with the team. We are even scoring a decent amount of goals too. The complete team performance will come, but it will take time. Honestly, we might not see it at all this season based on what we saw with Klopp, so that's a warning for you.

Personally, as someone who has spent hours coaching real players at all different levels, I find the level of play from our team in such a short space of time breathtaking. Southampton are a great example of where if players aren't standing in the right positions at the right times, it goes wrong spectacularly. And if the improvements in Vestergaard, Ndidi and McAteer don't impress you, then nothing will!

Screen+Shot+2017-02-07+at+6.41.37+AM.png

Great post and I agree with your points overall. 
One big reason we have amassed so many points so far though is because Championship teams are garbage at finishing compared to Premier League teams. We’ve been in the EPL so long I’d forgotten how ruthless it was. We could have conceded so many more this season had the opposition been more ruthless. And those wins we have could have easily been draws or losses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Leicester City vs Preston Pre-Match (Serious)

This is so far the most defensive team in the league. They have made a great start, but the underlying data suggest they've over performed quite significantly

• Typically, play a 541 shape. Don't let their 3-5-2 lineup on the pre-match graphic fool you, these guys are safety first and have 9 men behind the ball at almost all times.
  • Whilst they don't create much, they really don't give much either. They just lost 4-0, but that was a harsh scoreline. It is telling though that despite being 4 down, they only had one shot on target in the entire game.
  • An early goal here would be the ideal scenario.
    • Equally, conceding early will mean we are in for a long night.
  • Be prepared for a frustrating evening, these guys will make the Bristol City game look like an open game of football.
  • I expect Iheanacho to start instead of Vardy, this is one of those games where a false 9 is good, as you ideally want to draw the centre backs out to make space in behind them.
    • That said, there is a big chance they will just sit in their block and let us play in their third. If ever there was going to be a game for a 25 yard banger from Abdul Fatawu, this game has his name on it.
  • Most likely it will be a case of tiring them out and grabbing the win late on with subs.
    • Casadei could be a good option in this game. They play quite a physical style, his size and frame could give us an additional focal point when attacking.

SHHFLGK.png

^ As you can see, Preston are one of the least attacking teams in the league. That said xGA of 0.3 and 0.5 is some going.

a109Qe0.png

^ A recent away game at Stoke. Did they even play a striker? lol

Innovative 2-8-0 formation!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is so far the most defensive team in the league. They have made a great start, but the underlying data suggest they've over performed quite significantly

• Typically, play a 541 shape. Don't let their 3-5-2 lineup on the pre-match graphic fool you, these guys are safety first and have 9 men behind the ball at almost all times.
  • Whilst they don't create much, they really don't give much either. They just lost 4-0, but that was a harsh scoreline. It is telling though that despite being 4 down, they only had one shot on target in the entire game.
  • Be prepared for a frustrating evening, these guys will make the Bristol City game look like an open game of football.
  • I expect Iheanacho to start instead of Vardy, this is one of those games where a false 9 is good, as you ideally want to draw the centre backs out to make space in behind them.
    • That said, there is a big chance they will just sit in their block and let us play in their third. If ever there was going to be a game for a 25 yard banger from Abdul Fatawu, this game has his name on it.
  • Most likely it will be a case of tiring them out and grabbing the win late on with subs.
    • Casadei could be a good option in this game. They play quite a physical style, his size and frame could give us an additional focal point when attacking.

SHHFLGK.png

^ As you can see, Preston are one of the least attacking teams in the league. That said xGA of 0.3 and 0.5 is some going.

a109Qe0.png

As ever @StriderHiryu, thank you. Love reading these.

What on earth is that formation from the average positions 😅.

3 hours ago, Reginaldo said:

Innovative 2-8-0 formation!

Think Reg has nailed it here. Yikes. Going to be a looooong game tomorrow!

• Like 1

On 01/10/2023 at 20:30, StriderHiryu said:

Don't shoot the messenger, but I guess looks can be deceiving...

pMLSjwG.png

JJ isn't quite as far up as Doyle, but it's pretty close. I guess he's not as far out wide either. I think Norwich is the best comparison, as that was another team that came to play against us and didn't park the bus like Bristol did. If anything the bigger surprise is that Vestergaard pushed up higher. To me, that's because he's getting more confident at his role in the team.

Felt to me that JJ offered far less as an option for JV than doyle does - JV seemed to be stranded in the middle - am I imagining this?

On 01/10/2023 at 22:42, Aleksz said:

I understand @Ashley’s point to be fair, it did seem that Justin was a lot less “marauding” Doyle is. Which is bizarre considering he’s the more natural full back of the two. Perhaps has a lot to do with being right footed and Enzo not wanting him in advanced areas on his wrong foot with Mavididi already cutting in a lot onto his right from the left side himself.

I've said it numerous times elsewhere, but JJ seems to still be really struggling with his confidence, and i can't imagine his terrible performance against liverpool will have helped things.  I guess, with doyle out, he'll have plenty of game time to try to claw some confidence back.

On 02/10/2023 at 11:22, Babylon said:

You can't argue with the results and Maresca has done a grand job. But, I've still not been that overly impressed with how we've played (granted I've not seen all the games), a bit like under Rodgers, where by we were winning many games thanks to the quality of the players. We've putting together just enough to win the games, and you see the comments about us not being out of 2nd or 3rd gear from our own fans and opposition fans. It certainly feels like there is far more we're capable of, but I'm just not sure why we don't see it yet. 

Is it just a case of us still learning the system, is it because that's just our style, do we even have it in us to get into a perceived higher gear... because often comments like that suggest we're just doing what we need to do and not pushing ourselves that extra yard, which I'm not sure is the case. 

I'm not sure sure this is actually the case (the performances, not the comments).  I think the way Maresca plays will never see us playing what i suspect people imagine top gear to be.  I think the way he plays is that for much of the time we sit in cruise control and then, when it opens up, we go into sports mode.

Effectively, this is it, this is the mixed tempo pace we'll be paying at.  That's not to say that every game we'll be at our best, or that we' won't be more swashbuckling at times, but those expecting a sea-change to some wild, up tempo game, i suspect, are going to be waiting a long time.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2023 at 17:03, Les-TA-Jon said:

Struggling to remember chances that have come from it, let alone goals - other than Blackburn's? 

I think it's also telling in the blackburn game, generally our passing around the defence was the worst i've seen this season - ricardo looked jaded and JJ is a poor alternative to Doyle.  If it was going to happen, combined with blackburn's press, this was the game it would happen.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I'm not sure sure this is actually the case (the performances, not the comments).  I think the way Maresca plays will never see us playing what i suspect people imagine top gear to be.  I think the way he plays is that for much of the time we sit in cruise control and then, when it opens up, we go into sports mode.

Effectively, this is it, this is the mixed tempo pace we'll be paying at.  That's not to say that every game we'll be at our best, or that we' won't be more swashbuckling at times, but those expecting a sea-change to some wild, up tempo game, i suspect, are going to be waiting a long time.

Well that was one of my points “Is it because that’s just our style”, I think it’s too early to tell yet, and the answer is probably a mix of the points I made.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

SHHFLGK.png

a109Qe0.png

Can anyone else smell a long ball over the top from these lot a mile off?

I refuse to be shithoused by this lot. One of JJ or Hamza to sit a little deeper and offer some protection please. Mads can spend most of the game outside his box as well frankly.

What's the odds on Mads having a higher average position than their cbs?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ts_1010 said:

Can anyone else smell a long ball over the top from these lot a mile off?

I refuse to be shithoused by this lot. One of JJ or Hamza to sit a little deeper and offer some protection please. Mads can spend most of the game outside his box as well frankly.

What's the odds on Mads having a higher average position than their cbs?

I can only see these guys scoring from a set piece, as far as I'm aware they don't even have that much pace on the break, a big weakness in my opinion. They are really a dogged team that make it as hard as possible to score against. And apart from their last match, had achieved that very well.

I think sometimes you have to put yourself in their manager's shoes. Not everyone has the luxury of playing a free-flowing attacking team backed by millions. At worst, they will be in the top 3 after 10 games, and I'm sure all of their fans would have taken that come the start of the season. However, their data shows they are getting lucky, and they won't keep this up across the whole season, whereas Ipswich are legitimately very good and unless they get by tons of injuries are probably going to be fighting us for top spot. Preston will easily stay in the division, but unless they start changing some aspect of the way they play, I can't see them getting to the play-offs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Slightly off topic, but relevant. I'm sure a lot of us are taking great delight in the current demise of Man United. But why are they a team that went from having one of the best defences in Europe to one of the worst, and structurally being a complete mess? The easy answer is their new Goalkeeper but there's a lot more to it than that.

Ten Hag is trying to play a style very similar to peak Klopp, a 433 with two high pressing 8's and just one CDM pivot in Casimeiro. But the players aren't used to the pressing triggers, or in some cases like Rashford, don't press at all. As a result when they lose the ball they are wide open and there are so many gaps between the lines that teams can easily create threatening situations against them. Now compare that style to Enzo's system. So far we have definitely not unlocked our attack, it's not like we are creating 10 high quality chances a game. But on the transition and defensively we are in much better shape. That defensive confidence then gives the rest of a team a platform to build on.

So for those that think we should make more chances, I agree! But I think the Maresca has approached this the right way, get that fundamental platform stable and consistent first, then develop the attack.

Petrifies me we could lose Maresca to a team like this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nick said:

Petrifies me we could lose Maresca to a team like this.

It's going to happen at some point no matter what. I think the big PL teams will be watching him closely but strongly doubt they will pull the trigger this season. We are not far from the managerial sack race and Ten Haag is clearly in sights to get fired, but i think there are other options out there they would go to first (Potter is still without a job right now).

The concern should be if we get promoted and Enzo gets us to mid table after about 15 games, but he didn't quite get the players / squad he wanted. Then i can see one of the bigger clubs offering him silly money if they hit troubled times. I know Enzo is seen as a builder, but so was Potter, and he dropped everything to join Chelsea. Its easy to say managers like Enzo will look at Potters failure as part of that decision making, but as a Manager with some experience, you will always back yourself of one of the big clubs does come calling.

Maybe i am being pessimistic, but unless it goes Pete Tong and Enzo gets the sack and he goes sooner, the maximum time i see Enzo here is 2 seasons.

Slight tweak to the in possession shape tonight for the first half - Ricardo playing in an advanced area along with KDH and Ndidi. 

Enzo mentioned on RL that they sprung a bit of a tactical surprise on him, think he obviously expected them to turn up with a back 5 and so wanted to go 6 (Mavididi, Ndidi, Vardy, KDH, Ricardo, Fatawu) vs an expected back 5… so maybe expect to see that again when the next back 5 low block team rock up at the KP.

Normal service resumed once we tweaked and Ricardo dropped back alongside Winks second half. Much more control, and it showed. 

But nice to see Enzo had something new up his sleeve nonetheless.

PS. Not having a left footer in that back three is killing the fluidity a bit in possession, but we’re riding it out. :scarf:

Edited by Aleksz
  • Like 2