Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is one of the big reasons why I prefer to do the videos and just talk about it, because it takes a long time!

Honestly you should make a Youtube channel and upload videos about tactics, gameplay, predictions, etc.

You'd probably get a lot of views with the right editing and thumbnails. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I have thought about it, and in some ways some of this stuff is for "practice" for if I ever go that way. It's extremely time-consuming though, and I absolutely hate influencer culture with clickbait titles, "orgasm face" style You Tube thumbnails and appealing to the lowest common denominator.

So expect to see all of these and worse in the next 6-12 months lol

It’s dead easy. Just do what you’re doing now but start every video with “Hi guys, it’s your boy StriderHiryu here” then 30s in pause and go “5 second like and subscribe challenge. 5… 4… 3 etc”. Millionaire in a year!

• Haha 1

On 29/09/2023 at 10:44, StriderHiryu said:

Blackburn vs Leicester Pre-Match Quick Preview

Next up is Blackburn, who dumped us out of the FA Cup last season in unceremonious fashion:

^ Blackburn were very impressive in this game. They didn't just come for a smash and grab, but dared to press us high up the pitch, robbing our defenders of the ball several times and making chance after chance. Honestly, that we only conceded two on the day was fortunate for us. John-Dahl Tomasson had his team setup extremely well, despite missing some of their best players at the time for the match.

^ Moving onto this season, there has been a bit of player turnover, but the style of play is much the same. Blackburn play 4231, but push everyone up high to make a high line and try to take the game to their opponents:

PTMd6W8.png X01ic8E.png

Here are Blackburn's average pitch positions against Ipswich and Sunderland, two of the more attacking teams in the division. You can see how far up the pitch they push their fullbacks, CBs and even their goalkeeper. As a result, Blackburn make a lot of chances, and pose a goal threat, but they also leave a lot of gaps in if you can play through their press. They have already conceded 3 goals in 3 games already. The Ipswich game is an interesting one to see the highlights for as they play a similar style of play to ours. Blackburn scored 3 times, but they were also a bit lucky only to concede 4. Still, you have to admire them for daring to be so attacking away from home against one of the current pacesetters in the division.

I would expect to see games similar to Norwich and Southampton. Blackburn will press us and cause problems at time, but our ability to play through their press should mean we have too much quality of them. In recent weeks our ability to score on the transition has improved notably, if that side of our game in on point, we should have too much and secure the points. Playing away usually suits us because teams are more open, though I think in this case, Blackburn would play the same way either home or away!

Love your insight into this type of thing. 

From how the average position looks, we could have a lot of luck down our left hand side with Mavididi and JJ

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

From how the average position looks, we could have a lot of luck down our left hand side with Mavididi and JJ

Or anyone else from Enzo's box of crazy rampaging scary wingers. Looking forward to this

Edited by Bourbon Fox

Looking past the slight gripes I have with the way we play at times.
Enzo has done an absolutely phenomenal job, far more than I think any of us expected, we were in serious decline, the sort of decline that can swallow clubs if we don't make the right appointment, the sort of decline that clubs end up in League 1 from.
Enzo has come in, completely stopped the rot, turned the players attitudes around, brought in some young, hungry talent with a point to prove alongside proven quality, we are spending far more than anyone else in the league and with that for the teams that get relegated there is often an arrogance that with that quality we should trounce the league, but not with this group, we are working for it and delivering based not only on quality but on effort.
I don't want to get too carried away because things can change very quickly, but the early signs show Enzo is building a blueprint here, rebuilding the strong ethos and foundation that was left by Pearson/Ranieri/Puel.

He was a gamble when you consider the more proven names we could have gone for, big credit to Rudkin also on this appointment (not ignoring he's a big reason we are here though).
We have a long way to go, especially financially as I think we are potentially in trouble if we throw this away and don't go up, we still have a lot of players on big wages to clear out, but we look to be heading once again in the right direction.

Vestergaard and Wilfred Ndinho have been the standouts for me, 2 of the worst players in the club over the last couple of seasons completely revitalised, and I don't think it's down to the level of opposition, they way they are playing right now they are showing they are a class above this level. Hamza has also been a huge breath of fresh air since coming in, really surprised by how easily he's slotted in to what is relatively quite a complex role as an inverted fullback.

Very positive signs in a very short period of time!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Looking past the slight gripes I have with the way we play at times.
Enzo has done an absolutely phenomenal job, far more than I think any of us expected, we were in serious decline, the sort of decline that can swallow clubs if we don't make the right appointment, the sort of decline that clubs end up in League 1 from.
Enzo has come in, completely stopped the rot, turned the players attitudes around, brought in some young, hungry talent with a point to prove alongside proven quality, we are spending far more than anyone else in the league and with that for the teams that get relegated there is often an arrogance that with that quality we should trounce the league, but not with this group, we are working for it and delivering based not only on quality but on effort.
I don't want to get too carried away because things can change very quickly, but the early signs show Enzo is building a blueprint here, rebuilding the strong ethos and foundation that was left by Pearson/Ranieri/Puel.

He was a gamble when you consider the more proven names we could have gone for, big credit to Rudkin also on this appointment (not ignoring he's a big reason we are here though).
We have a long way to go, especially financially as I think we are potentially in trouble if we throw this away and don't go up, we still have a lot of players on big wages to clear out, but we look to be heading once again in the right direction.

Vestergaard and Wilfred Ndinho have been the standouts for me, 2 of the worst players in the club over the last couple of seasons completely revitalised, and I don't think it's down to the level of opposition, they way they are playing right now they are showing they are a class above this level. Hamza has also been a huge breath of fresh air since coming in, really surprised by how easily he's slotted in to what is relatively quite a complex role as an inverted fullback.

Very positive signs in a very short period of time!

I wasn’t sure about signing Winks. He’d spent a large part of last season injured at Sampdoria.

But he’s fast becoming my favourite new player. He orchestrates the midfield and we haven’t had that style of player for ages.

If he stays fit, he’ll be amazing value.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ashley said:

We looked to have a different shape today at the back anyway.

JJ was very close to JV, compared to Doyle hugging the touch line. Be interesting to see heat maps/average positions(JJ v CD) @StriderHiryu

Don't shoot the messenger, but I guess looks can be deceiving...

pMLSjwG.png

JJ isn't quite as far up as Doyle, but it's pretty close. I guess he's not as far out wide either. I think Norwich is the best comparison, as that was another team that came to play against us and didn't park the bus like Bristol did. If anything the bigger surprise is that Vestergaard pushed up higher. To me, that's because he's getting more confident at his role in the team.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

pMLSjwG.png

JJ isn't quite as far up as Doyle, but it's pretty close. I guess he's not as far out wide either. I think Norwich is the best comparison, as that was another team that came to play against us and didn't park the bus like Bristol did. If anything the bigger surprise is that Vestergaard pushed up higher. To me, that's because he's getting more confident at his role in the team.

I understand @Ashley’s point to be fair, it did seem that Justin was a lot less “marauding” Doyle is. Which is bizarre considering he’s the more natural full back of the two. Perhaps has a lot to do with being right footed and Enzo not wanting him in advanced areas on his wrong foot with Mavididi already cutting in a lot onto his right from the left side himself.

• Like 1

When teams are going narrow and making it hard for us to play through can someone explain why when we've got a counterattack or quick break available we often stop, play it back and let the opposition regroup and get back into their positions? I find it really frustrating and have seen it happen so many times this season.

At first I thought it was just a lack of confidence or missing opportunities but it's happening so often it must be coached. 

I'd have thought when you're playing against a team that are looking to stifle the play who eventually get forward and lose it, that should be the opportunity to punish them and unlock them? 

Yes, we're top of the league so things are going well in general but I've counted quite a few missed opportunities this season. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Collymore said:

When teams are going narrow and making it hard for us to play through can someone explain why when we've got a counterattack or quick break available we often stop, play it back and let the opposition regroup and get back into their positions? I find it really frustrating and have seen it happen so many times this season.

At first I thought it was just a lack of confidence or missing opportunities but it's happening so often it must be coached. 

I'd have thought when you're playing against a team that are looking to stifle the play who eventually get forward and lose it, that should be the opportunity to punish them and unlock them? 

Yes, we're top of the league so things are going well in general but I've counted quite a few missed opportunities this season. 

My guess is that it’s based on statistical analysis showing that retaining possession and resetting the attack is more effective than slightly higher risk through balls. 

But I don’t really know. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I think it’s that they’re coached not to play a pass that they’re not sure will reach its intended recipient.  It generally happens when one of the wide players breaks. At that point the game structure is broken and I suspect the thought is that giving away possession in this phase also exposes our defensive structure as we aren’t set. I would think that if we’re chasing the game then we’ll take chances but whilst we’re not, we generally won’t 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

pMLSjwG.png

Possibly the case, but I'd say it's got more to do with Blackburn not pressing us much before the halfway line. They did as the game progressed and they were chasing it, but for large proportions they were clearly drilled to encourage our CBs to advance into their half before pressing and taking advantage of the space in behind.

22 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Really interesting point, I've noticed this quite a few times too. I presume it's because there isn't a pass on, or we don't have enough bodies ahead of the player with the ball? Yesterday I saw it happen with AFI a number of times, and he didn't drive on beyond his man. Seemed like there wasn't many options, so he checked back because he was anticipating it being a dead end.

28 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I have thought and asked this question. I saw it again at Blackburn. My only possibly explanation is that when a player breaks unless he sees x number of players breaking with him he will pass back. This happened at Blackburn, and the numbers escape me now but someone broke forward, and say there was 1 player more advanced and maybe 1 more coming up behind, perhaps this was judged to be not worth the risk - hence the pass back? Having said that Vardy’s goal isn’t consistent with that, so perhaps it’s purely based on the judgement of the player. But I agree it seems to be more measured like they are weighing up risk and reward in their head before committing to the forward break. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

pMLSjwG.png

Can you get the passing maps from previous games too at all? 

Be interesting to see what the passing lanes were like too. Doyle seems more of an out ball for us? And I think that's where the early problems came from yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Can you get the passing maps from previous games too at all? 

Be interesting to see what the passing lanes were like too. Doyle seems more of an out ball for us? And I think that's where the early problems came from yesterday.

I could, but I'm sure you could also find the passing maps :thumbup: