Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The 'what you had for your tea' thread.

On 15/12/2023 at 01:12, Jattdogg said:

Not sure if anyone else struggles with this but do you ever get tired of planning meals for the week (more so dinner/tea)?

Before we had kids, the wife and I experimented with different international cuisines but the kids killed those creative meals haha

I find it such an effort to think of what to make that all 4 of us will enjoy. Feels like i have made everything there is over the years and tired of the same old. Kids can be a bit picky although most times i say "deal with it".

Easy weeknight meal ideas are always appreciated. Weekends are saved for the bigger feasts. I do take notes when i see things in here though :)

I love cooking but mannnnnnnn!

Side note, incredibly blessed to have food on my table no matter what it is especially in a time where so many are struggling.

Say what you like about paying bills, going to work and the normal stresses of everyday life. Undoubtedly, the hardest thing about being an adult is having to plan what to eat for dinner every single night until you die.

We typically rotate the same old stuff over and over.

If we do discover something new and everyone likes it, we'll make it too regularly and everyone gets bored of it.

I usually phone my Mrs around 9ish every morning, one of us, without fail, will say "what's for dinner?" lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

100% this. I know people cook alot on weekends and freeze but i prefer freshly cooked food daily. Tastes better.

That said, only certain things freeze well. Some of my wifes colleagues literally make big batches of soup and will literally eat it 2 or 3 times that week for dinner. I am spoiled and can't do that.  If i make a a curry chicken then we will make it with roti's on the weekend and then later in the week have it with rice and a salad or something. 

The struggle is real. I told my wife, over the holidays we need to list out like 60 different meal ideas that are a mix of weekend intensive or weeknight simplicity. We have our own cookbook of  recipes and we are thoroughly done with them.

Yes!  Every now and then I go on a hunt for new easyish recipes but at the moment I'm just recycling the same shit day in day out.  

I will generally make stuff that will do a couple of nights.

The reality is I'm just not organised to batch cook and freeze regularly, I wish I was.  

I do bake all the bread, naans, brioche buns etc etc we eat so I don't make my life massively easy in that sense as I'm often baking at weekends.

Soup for dinner several times a week?  I suggest you ghost those muthers asap.

Maybe people can start posting links to weeknight recipes...

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It depends what you freeze. I batch cook on my days off, and everything I freeze tastes just as good as if it were fresh. In my freezer at the minute off the top of my head we have homemade lasagne, chilli, chicken satay, Mongolian beef, tagine, sweet and sour chicken, loads of things are just as good out of the freezer as they were the day they were cooked. Things with cream in don't tend to fare well, and I don't like vegetables which have been frozen, but it's quick enough to add them in later. 

Batch cooking is my saviour, we'd be forever eating out if I had to cook from scratch every evening after work lol

Problem is if I make another chilli I'll scream.  I've made every variety of chilli under the sun.

Haven't made tagine for ages, good call.  

I'll have that recipe for Mongolian chicken please Debs...

We make lasagna probably once every other month and i find it doesn't taste as great upon reheat. My standards aRe too bloody high or my tastebuds suck. 

I do agree that only certain things freeze well. 

Tom has the right idea, just keep posting daily what your having and it will make our lives somewhat easier .

Btw, fresh home baked bread is the best both taste wise and the aroma in the house!

Productive couple of hours in the kitchen this afternoon. Peanut butter chicken for dinner tonight, and chicken and pineapple, honey and garlic chicken thighs and chicken and tarragon pie all ready for another day. Tomorrow I'll cook the meat sauces for a cottage pie and a lasagne, and make the meatballs for a meatball and garlic bread bake.

@Jattdogg I just 'assemble' the lasagne before I freeze it, I don't cook it, so it's not reheated, maybe that's the difference?

@Bordersfox I will find the online recipe for the Mongolian beef and post it

If someone has a good recipe for KFC style chicken I would like it please,  there are lots online but they vary, I'd like a tried and tested one :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Productive couple of hours in the kitchen this afternoon. Peanut butter chicken for dinner tonight, and chicken and pineapple, honey and garlic chicken thighs and chicken and tarragon pie all ready for another day. Tomorrow I'll cook the meat sauces for a cottage pie and a lasagne, and make the meatballs for a meatball and garlic bread bake.

@Jattdogg I just 'assemble' the lasagne before I freeze it, I don't cook it, so it's not reheated, maybe that's the difference?

If someone has a good recipe for KFC style chicken I would like it please,  there are lots online but they vary, I'd like a tried and tested one :)

Thanks Debs, I've seen many online but tried and tested are best.  

Here's a link to the KFC YouTube video I use

He also has the recipe on his website just stick in Wiessman KFC to Google.  I've printed it because I use it whenever I want to make KFC at home.  

I guarantee if you follow it to the letter you'll get the KFC flavour but a far better, crunchier fried chicken.  Sourcing buttermilk can be a pain.   The white pepper for me is key, definitely the dominant flavour so if you have to sub any of the spice don't sub that! 

I don't make all those sides because I'm not aiming to be fifty stone for a while.  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Do you cook the pasta noodles or just stick them in uncooked?

5 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Thanks Debs, I've seen many online but tried and tested are best.  

Here's a link to the KFC YouTube video I use

He also has the recipe on his website just stick in Wiessman KFC to Google.  I've printed it because I use it whenever I want to make KFC at home.  

I guarantee if you follow it to the letter you'll get the KFC flavour but a far better, crunchier fried chicken.  Sourcing buttermilk can be a pain.   The white pepper for me is key, definitely the dominant flavour so if you have to sub any of the spice don't sub that! 

I don't make all those sides because I'm not aiming to be fifty stone for a while.  

Thank you! I don't think I'd find buttermilk over here, we're starting the red cabbage hunt tomorrow that caused me so much pain last year, @tom27111 lived through it with me though lol

It seems easy enough to make buttermilk yourself though, so I'll be giving this a go soon

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm more offended by the mushrooms. Absolutely no place for it in the game. 

Lol missing out mate.

How people can have artichokes on pizza is more puzzling to me but to each their own.

I have tried pizza with toppings that I have never thought of before and it tasted good (tandoori chicken, kebab etc).  

People have strong opinions on pizza toppings no doubt. Sometimes a simple pepperoni pizza just hits the spot.

16 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Lol missing out mate.

How people can have artichokes on pizza is more puzzling to me but to each their own.

I have tried pizza with toppings that I have never thought of before and it tasted good (tandoori chicken, kebab etc).  

People have strong opinions on pizza toppings no doubt. Sometimes a simple pepperoni pizza just hits the spot.

Less is more with pizza IMO. Agreed, pepperoni is probably my favourite.