Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The 'what you had for your tea' thread.

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Correct but when it rests it will creep up a few degrees, I reckon 72C is better and more on the safe side 

https://blog.thermoworks.com/chicken/chicken-internal-temps-everything-you-need-to-know/

Time and temperature. 

This does require accurate temperature measurements of course!  

I generally use a Meater which measures both the internal and ambient temps and even calculates a rough cooking time. 

Absolute God send for beef as well and guaranteed you won't overcook it.  

All of that said I'm usually on the cautious side with chicken but I'm with you on 72, especially if it's been held there for the appropriate time.  

Personally though I much prefer juicy thigh which requires a higher temperature to break down the collagen etc and is much more forgiving.  Juicy breast is harder to achieve.

What do you think is better juicy thigh or juicy breast @Jattdogg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Truly grotesque. How, presumably it must be sous vide? Why, however, is a mystery.  

I looked at sous vide for it - but that still cooks it (albeit less than thoroughly cooked) and the client wanted raw chicken. From memory I ended up trying about 3 hours at 60 degrees. 

I looked at super-freezing a la sashimi grade fish, and also salting. 

But the ball ache to do it, and to trust that the chefs would do it without killing everyone was too much of a liability - coupled with the amount of lab testing and validation needed  - so I binned it. 

Chefs 🙄

5 minutes ago, Milo said:

I looked at sous vide for it - but that still cooks it (albeit less than thoroughly cooked) and the client wanted raw chicken. From memory I ended up trying about 3 hours at 60 degrees. 

I looked at super-freezing a la sashimi grade fish, and also salting. 

But the ball ache to do it, and to trust that the chefs would do it without killing everyone was too much of a liability - coupled with the amount of lab testing and validation needed  - so I binned it. 

Chefs 🙄

I'm clearly missing something, it sounds absolutely horrendous.  I'm open to trying most things but raw chicken, even if totally safe, just does not appeal.  The texture 🤮

1 minute ago, Tommy G said:

Good effort, but cautious about giving it full marks - bun looks a bit too charred and the gherkin a bit thick otherwise 8/10

Made the burgers too thick (hence the charring). It was about 4 times the height of a Big Mac, had to dislocate my jaw to take a bite lol

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

https://blog.thermoworks.com/chicken/chicken-internal-temps-everything-you-need-to-know/

Time and temperature. 

This does require accurate temperature measurements of course!  

I generally use a Meater which measures both the internal and ambient temps and even calculates a rough cooking time. 

Absolute God send for beef as well and guaranteed you won't overcook it.  

All of that said I'm usually on the cautious side with chicken but I'm with you on 72, especially if it's been held there for the appropriate time.  

Personally though I much prefer juicy thigh which requires a higher temperature to break down the collagen etc and is much more forgiving.  Juicy breast is harder to achieve.

What do you think is better juicy thigh or juicy breast @Jattdogg

I like thigh meat for chicken.

• Haha 1

My Mrs had a a little Xmas party at work today and everyone had to take something in.

One of her co-workers made an aubergine curry and a lentil curry, then told Laura to bring some home for me. 

I warmed them up at half time and had them with some plain rice.

Absolutely delicious. 

Screenshot_20231213_205457_Gallery.jpg

22 hours ago, tom27111 said:

My Mrs had a a little Xmas party at work today and everyone had to take something in.

One of her co-workers made an aubergine curry and a lentil curry, then told Laura to bring some home for me. 

I warmed them up at half time and had them with some plain rice.

Absolutely delicious. 

Screenshot_20231213_205457_Gallery.jpg

Fook sakes grew up on eggplant sabji. Sick of it when you eat it so often lol.

• Haha 1

Not sure if anyone else struggles with this but do you ever get tired of planning meals for the week (more so dinner/tea)?

Before we had kids, the wife and I experimented with different international cuisines but the kids killed those creative meals haha

I find it such an effort to think of what to make that all 4 of us will enjoy. Feels like i have made everything there is over the years and tired of the same old. Kids can be a bit picky although most times i say "deal with it".

Easy weeknight meal ideas are always appreciated. Weekends are saved for the bigger feasts. I do take notes when i see things in here though :)

I love cooking but mannnnnnnn!

Side note, incredibly blessed to have food on my table no matter what it is especially in a time where so many are struggling.

• Like 2

Had some leeks and sprouts left over so fried them up, added to mash and fried again to make some bubble and squeak fritters. 

Had it with a few slices of homemade slow cooked honey and mustard gammon and... baked beans. Big dollop of piccalilli on the side. 

Used to have a simple version of this meal to use up leftover roast when I was a kid. Proper nostalgic treat. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 3

On 15/12/2023 at 01:12, Jattdogg said:

Not sure if anyone else struggles with this but do you ever get tired of planning meals for the week (more so dinner/tea)?

Before we had kids, the wife and I experimented with different international cuisines but the kids killed those creative meals haha

I find it such an effort to think of what to make that all 4 of us will enjoy. Feels like i have made everything there is over the years and tired of the same old. Kids can be a bit picky although most times i say "deal with it".

Easy weeknight meal ideas are always appreciated. Weekends are saved for the bigger feasts. I do take notes when i see things in here though :)

I love cooking but mannnnnnnn!

Side note, incredibly blessed to have food on my table no matter what it is especially in a time where so many are struggling.

I don't have kids and it's still a chore planning meals for two people week in week out.  

The weekend stuff where you've got time to prep and cook something different or fun is what I enjoy.  

Grinding out the weeknight meals and trying not to have the same thing week in week out is a ball ache.  

3 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

I don't have kids and it's still a chore planning meals for two people week in week out.  

The weekend stuff where you've got time to prep and cook something different or fun is what I enjoy.  

Grinding out the weeknight meals and trying not to have the same thing week in week out is a ball ache.  

100% this. I know people cook alot on weekends and freeze but i prefer freshly cooked food daily. Tastes better.

That said, only certain things freeze well. Some of my wifes colleagues literally make big batches of soup and will literally eat it 2 or 3 times that week for dinner. I am spoiled and can't do that.  If i make a a curry chicken then we will make it with roti's on the weekend and then later in the week have it with rice and a salad or something. 

The struggle is real. I told my wife, over the holidays we need to list out like 60 different meal ideas that are a mix of weekend intensive or weeknight simplicity. We have our own cookbook of  recipes and we are thoroughly done with them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

100% this. I know people cook alot on weekends and freeze but i prefer freshly cooked food daily. Tastes better.

That said, only certain things freeze well. Some of my wifes colleagues literally make big batches of soup and will literally eat it 2 or 3 times that week for dinner. I am spoiled and can't do that.  If i make a a curry chicken then we will make it with roti's on the weekend and then later in the week have it with rice and a salad or something. 

The struggle is real. I told my wife, over the holidays we need to list out like 60 different meal ideas that are a mix of weekend intensive or weeknight simplicity. We have our own cookbook of  recipes and we are thoroughly done with them.

It depends what you freeze. I batch cook on my days off, and everything I freeze tastes just as good as if it were fresh. In my freezer at the minute off the top of my head we have homemade lasagne, chilli, chicken satay, Mongolian beef, tagine, sweet and sour chicken, loads of things are just as good out of the freezer as they were the day they were cooked. Things with cream in don't tend to fare well, and I don't like vegetables which have been frozen, but it's quick enough to add them in later. 

Batch cooking is my saviour, we'd be forever eating out if I had to cook from scratch every evening after work lol

Edited by FoxesDeb
  • Like 1