Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The 'what you had for your tea' thread.

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Speaking of mash, we usually make it using just butter. Sometimes we put a small drizzle of milk in there.

But, some people swear of cracking an egg in to make it really creamy.

Never tried it, very sceptical. Does anyone do this? 

Lots of butter, lots of salt and pepper. If theres any cream in the fridge lob that in - find milk makes it taste a bit....meh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kenny said:

Always an egg. Makes the creamiest mash. Its a bit like an egg carbonara that doesn't need cream to be creamy.

Also grated nutmeg brings out the earthy flavour in potatoes.

I'm making mash tonight.  I'll add an egg. 

By all that's holy if this is some sort of sick joke and I end up with an inedible mash/scrambler hybrid I will hunt you down and egg your kitchen window. @tom27111will be for it as well.  

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

I'm making mash tonight.  I'll add an egg. 

By all that's holy if this is some sort of sick joke and I end up with an inedible mash/scrambler hybrid I will hunt you down and egg your kitchen window. @tom27111will be for it as well.  

Mash first then move quick once its in so you don't get scrambled egg!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bordersfox said:

On the general subject of mash if you're feeling particularly bourgeoisie then a small amount of truffle oil with the butter (and possibly egg) is delicious.  

What are people's views of potato ricers Vs the traditional mashing implement? 

Love my potatoe ricer,  but hate cleaning it after (if i forget to rince it straight after use.) 

Mash = Butter AND an egg..touch of salt and pepper.. 

• Thanks 1

Best mashed potato is this. Bake the potatoes in skin and then remove from skin and put through a ricer. Get a saucepan on the hob, add the riced potatoes a shit load of unsalted butter, salt and white pepper. Then stir but not over doing it, then add an egg yolk and mix in.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2023 at 17:42, Bordersfox said:

Saturday nights homemade KFC.  Hate me but respect my fried chicken game.  

Also don't drink and deep fry kids, you will end up getting burnt.  IMG_20231021_190617.thumb.jpg.b8321995f5079771d3cc86593c8385e4.jpg

That looks great mate! Have been on a journey myself  trying to perfect fried chicken. 

Did two buffalo wings, two sticky siracha and a standard chicken burger here. Love trying different approaches to brining the chicken and different flour dredge. 

IMG_20230818_193347.jpg

Edited by BrummieFOX
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BrummieFOX said:

That looks great mate! Have been on a journey myself  trying to perfect fried chicken. 

Did two buffalo wings, two sticky siracha and a standard chicken burger here. Love trying different approaches to brining the chicken and different flour dredge. 

IMG_20230818_193347.jpg

Superb work my friend looks delicious.   I've done drums and thighs so far (boneless and bone in/skin on) and wings are my next project. Did you brine or buttermilk the wings?

Love sriracha as well, I went through a phase of putting it on everything!   

Definitely can become an obsession, when fried chicken is good it's just about the best thing going to eat.  

I've just done various buttermilk and spice/salt marinades so far and some different flour mixes as well like plain mixed with cornflour etc.  I've seen some people make a batter rather than a dredge but I think the dredge results are good.  

For the KFC 11 herbs and spices clone I've found white pepper to be key to recreating the taste, I was being lazy and using black pepper as that's what I had in, but the white pepper makes a huge difference.  

If you haven't already check out Quan Tran on YouTube.  Guys a lunatic but great value and he's got some good fried chicken videos.  He is Mr Fried Chicken.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Superb work my friend looks delicious.   I've done drums and thighs so far (boneless and bone in/skin on) and wings are my next project. Did you brine or buttermilk the wings?

Definitely can become an obsession, when fried chicken is good it's just about the best thing going to eat.  

I've just done various buttermilk and spice/salt marinades so far and some different flour mixes as well like plain mixed with cornflour etc.  I've seen some people make a batter rather than a dredge but I think the dredge results are good.  

For the KFC 11 herbs and spices clone I've found white pepper to be key to recreating the taste, I was being lazy and using black pepper as that's what I had in, but the white pepper makes a huge difference.  

If you haven't already check out Quan Tran on YouTube.  Guys a lunatic but great value and he's got some good fried chicken videos.  He is Mr Fried Chicken.

Thanks mate. I've tried both but buttermilk is definitely my preference, with a fair bit of hot sauce and seasoning in. 

Never actually tried a batter so will have to go e that a go, but I always use a mix of corn flour and regular flour for the dredge. Interesting in the white pepper though, I'm the same, not used it out of laziness as I never have it in. Will definitely give it a go. 

Thanks for the channel suggestion too, will look him up. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Quang is YouTube royalty aint he!

Tried a few of his recipes over the years and that boy can seriously cook.

Love how he gets the most simple, basic words mixed up yet cooks like an absolute boss.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Has anyone been brave enough to put an egg in their mash yet?

Think we're stupid enough to fall for that one?

I enjoy grating turnip in mine...

Edited by Zear0