Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

Accounts 22/23

49 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I picked the outlier as he was a more recent signing than the others except for Borca who had a release clause, highlighting a shift in their spend patterns. There are also hidden add-on fees due for Enciso and Buananotte will eventually cost double his £5.3m fee. I’m not disputing Brighton’s clever use of ‘moneyball’, I’m just suggesting that there’ll be a squeeze at both ends of the market they are moving in and pointing out that they have won nothing  other than accountancy plaudits. 

Brighton would never have got themselves into the mess we did with rodgers 

you think bloom is scared of de zerbi leaving?  He took 23m compensation for potter and he’ll likely take another double figure sum. He’s a proven negotiator and he knows that you buy at the bottom and sell at the top (as best you can). 

• Like 3

Brighton sitting 1 point ahead of Wolves and 2 ahead of Bournemouth - this isn't great stuff for supposedly a brilliant team. Few times i've watched them its been pretty average, although they have had their moments. Not inconceivable they could finish 12th this season. 

I suppose the PL and its favourite 6 clubs will continue to bang on about them whilst they are willing to carry on being a feeder club for everyone else (which the top 6 seem happy to pay a premium for - its a win win for Brighton and the top 6). But if Roberto De Zerbi wants actual success then things might start to look different. Been a bit of lining him up for Liverpool but if not there he will have to go somewhere else. Unless of course, they decided to 'tweak' that model for a season or 2 to try and compete. 

PL is an unforgiving monster. If they get their offloading wrong and suffer a few injuries, or replace De Zerbi with someone who doesn't quite work out, they can drop to where Brentford currently are next season. Its happens all too easily and when you get sucked in its hard to get out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the draper said:

The party is over 

Back.to being a yo yo club 

That's what I'm most gutted about . I thought we'd turned a corner a couple of years back 

If the team were struggling we'd sack the manager ( Rodgers at the time ) regroup and continue in the top flight for many, many years .

In reality we're just like everyone else below the big boys . Have a few years in the sun then back in your box .😒

Just now, Chelmofox said:

Brighton sitting 1 point ahead of Wolves and 2 ahead of Bournemouth - this isn't great stuff for supposedly a brilliant team. Few times i've watched them its been pretty average, although they have had their moments. Not inconceivable they could finish 12th this season. 

I suppose the PL and its favourite 6 clubs will continue to bang on about them whilst they are willing to carry on being a feeder club for everyone else (which the top 6 seem happy to pay a premium for - its a win win for Brighton and the top 6). But if Roberto De Zerbi wants actual success then things might start to look different. Been a bit of lining him up for Liverpool but if not there he will have to go somewhere else. Unless of course, they decided to 'tweak' that model for a season or 2 to try and compete. 

PL is an unforgiving monster. If they get their offloading wrong and suffer a few injuries, or replace De Zerbi with someone who doesn't quite work out, they can drop to where Brentford currently are next season. Its happens all too easily and when you get sucked in its hard to get out. 

You’re right about them  having a tough season with a youngish squad. Injuries aplenty and possibly the coach with his mind elsewhere.  Some of this sounds familiar.  But their financial position is such that they can withstand a poor season and infact have the headroom to invest substantially and still not be at any risk whatsoever. their assets are generally young, and very saleable at a profit. Their wages not something that is of concern.  

they are a smaller club than us but showing that they can punch well above their weight because they are run very well with backroom staff and football executives who are sought after rather than laughed at.   I know that we did this for a few seasons but it’s now clear that we decided we needed to spend big on wages to get there. 

• Like 1

I have been trying to work out what this year our losses would look like and I’ve been thinking quite strongly about the situation of our signings, considering they must have known what mess we’d been in.
I’d be interested to know what Mavididi is on. At Montpellier he was probably on between 15k-25k, wouldn’t be surprised if he is on 35k-40k. Same with Winks, Coady, they’ll be on a minimum of 40k. The signing that actually makes some sense will be Cannon, amortisation of 7m and probably on a wage of less than 20k. We just signed him for the wrong manager but at the time, Daka is likely off and this is quite likely to be Vardy’s and Iheanacho’s last year. Akgun was an Enzo signing (Montella links) and as much as I try to like him, he’s a nothing player in this league. Abdul makes sense, don’t imagine his wages are huge to cover for this season. Hermansen has been outstanding, 4 million and probably reasonable wages. Clearly a player who could go for 30 million plus, if he had a year in the Premier league. The frustrating thing about this signing is that we then decided to reject an offer of the same amount for Iversen. As for Doyle, I think he’s been a sensible loan signing and a player we’ve missed, especially at home where the onus has been on us to attack and we’ve needed to pass the ball quicker and longer, something Justin can’t do. 

57 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I'm a bit puzzled why some people are getting all snooty at Brighton and their approach.

Brighton look like they have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C and probably even a Plan D. We threw the kitchen sink, forgot to plan for disaster and then hired a lawyer to try and get us out of the hole we got ourselves in.

They're the in-flavour model and one suspects they will have planned and modelled for if the money dries up.

And they now have a prime case study of what not to do, as does every other club up there.

16 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I have been trying to work out what this year our losses would look like and I’ve been thinking quite strongly about the situation of our signings, considering they must have known what mess we’d been in.
I’d be interested to know what Mavididi is on. At Montpellier he was probably on between 15k-25k, wouldn’t be surprised if he is on 35k-40k. Same with Winks, Coady, they’ll be on a minimum of 40k. The signing that actually makes some sense will be Cannon, amortisation of 7m and probably on a wage of less than 20k. We just signed him for the wrong manager but at the time, Daka is likely off and this is quite likely to be Vardy’s and Iheanacho’s last year. Akgun was an Enzo signing (Montella links) and as much as I try to like him, he’s a nothing player in this league. Abdul makes sense, don’t imagine his wages are huge to cover for this season. Hermansen has been outstanding, 4 million and probably reasonable wages. Clearly a player who could go for 30 million plus, if he had a year in the Premier league. The frustrating thing about this signing is that we then decided to reject an offer of the same amount for Iversen. As for Doyle, I think he’s been a sensible loan signing and a player we’ve missed, especially at home where the onus has been on us to attack and we’ve needed to pass the ball quicker and longer, something Justin can’t do. 

When trying to work out what our losses will be this season I think the most relevant question is whether the players who have taken a deduction are due it returning as a promotion bonus ??

if they are then our loss will be crazy 

and if there were no deductions then our losses will be crazy! 

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

For those who are still very much in the mindset that PSR is a load of bull shit and owners should be allowed to spend what they like, please can you consider why our ownership has opted to regularly take out loans with this Australian bank despite hikes in interest rates that have led to the unforeseen increases in our costs.

If our owners were as cash rich as many think they can be, in the pursuit of footballing glory, then why aren't they funding this and saving us millions?

We'd be blown out of the water even more than we currently do, by clubs with more resource than us if PSR was entirely removed. It would inflate transfer fees and wages even more so.

Whilst there are limitations in place, it seems suspicious that an ambitious club who wants to be able to spend more wouldn't maximise their financial flexibility by saving paying out millions in interest and that makes it a further struggle to comply. 

By calling out PSR for what it is, does not mean we are calling for zero rules regarding finances.

Asking for a fair and level playing field that doesn’t stifle forward thinking nor favour the status quo is not unreasonable.

I’m not defending our owners by any means but PSR stinks to high heaven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the draper said:

The party is over 

Back.to being a yo yo club 

Not neccesarily, what we have now which we struggled for previously (well, we did get the odd gem Heskey, Joachim etc.). Is a youth system that is producing genuine talent. Barnes, Toney, Bassey, KDH, Chillwell, Nyoni are all players who have commanded incredibly high fees. KDH will go for a reasonably high figure this summer too. Three of them slipped through the net. We have Alves and Braybrooke who potentially could be the next off the conveyer belt. Players that can generate huge sales from your youth team is a golden opportunity. I have deliberately ignored Thomas and Choudhury - but players like that could be important for other reasons. 

The club has assets which previously were non-existent. Its about maximising those assets with good management in other areas. To do that promotion this season is an absolute must. If we dont, I'll agree with you. For now, there is something to save. 

• Haha 1

I think the board are trying to deflect criticism some of which is clearly working on some supporters.

It would be appropriate to put your hands up and say yes our strategy was wrong we messed up on a monumental scale.

The culprits need to be exposed and sacked whoever that may be. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Brighton would never have got themselves into the mess we did with rodgers 

you think bloom is scared of de zerbi leaving?  He took 23m compensation for potter and he’ll likely take another double figure sum. He’s a proven negotiator and he knows that you buy at the bottom and sell at the top (as best you can). 

also a very good poker player as well

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Spurs lost 215 million in their accounts yesterday. How can they write off 100 million for Depreciation which is a non cash item. It's just a notional figure.

They lose 70m a year from infrastructure cost that’s exempt from FFP, money well spent when you are bringing revenue of 550m per year

1 minute ago, the messenger said:

I think the board are trying to deflect criticism some of which is clearly working on some supporters.

It would be appropriate to put your hands up and say yes our strategy was wrong we messed up on a monumental scale.

The culprits need to be exposed and sacked whoever that may be. 

Some have criticised the owners in the past for acting too much like a business whilst urging the club to show more ambition towards finally getting another crack at the UCL. Seems they took the gamble that many wanted. It was poor recruitment that's caused it to unravel. 

• Like 3

It's transfers like Harry Souttar that makes my blood boil. Bought recently for absolutely no reason. He's sat there doing nothing just depreciating. He should have been released on a free in January just like Soumare, Praet and Ward to get off the wage bill. 

Daka and Kelechi should have been fire sales sold off cheaply. Instead we will keep all of these for the remainder of their contracts costing us millions and then they'll leave for nothing anyway. 

It's like logic goes out of the window with us at management level. I would expect a three year old to be able to run us better than we are. The more I think about it, the more it seems like utter recklessness on a massive scale. 

Heads need to roll.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Collymore said:

It's transfers like Harry Souttar that makes my blood boil. Bought recently for absolutely no reason. He's sat there doing nothing just depreciating. He should have been released on a free in January just like Soumare, Praet and Ward to get off the wage bill. 

Daka and Kelechi should have been fire sales sold off cheaply. Instead we will keep all of these for the remainder of their contracts costing us millions and then they'll leave for nothing anyway. 

It's like logic goes out of the window with us at management level. I would expect a three year old to be able to run us better than we are. The more I think about it, the more it seems like utter recklessness on a massive scale. 

Heads need to roll.

Release souttar on a free after 6months 17m 5 year deal? 
Probably on at least 50k he just just agrees to losing 12m plus contract?

For what it's worth, my view is that Top has abdicated his responsibilities and governance and let Rudkin run the club. He's responsible for the football side of things but obviously is involved with contracts and wages and recruitment etc., Whelan for the business side. As we can see, everything for the past 2 or 3 years, maybe more,  has been a financial disaster. Someone has to take responsibilty for this mess and these two persons should be out of a job, now!

9 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Heads need to roll.

5 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Of course he doesnt

but he’s not on 50k because he will definitely have a relegation clause 

but in jan he wouldn’t leave without his contract being paid up on an assumption that we’d get promoted and his salary would return to 50k 

just like all the others that it’s proposed above that we fire sold 

they dont throw their contracts away - we continue to pay the difference between what a new club pays them and the inflated wages we offered.  I assume that we cant pay them once their registrations are transferred so the amount either gets paid in a lump sum or comes off any fee.   And the amortised value comes straight off the positive column under psr.  So saving the wages is a false economy. We can only save what another club is prepared to pay them.  That’s why loans are so popular. Doesn’t hit the psr numbers and has a net zero effect on the wages compared to a sale. 

We’ve got it all wrong over the last five years. Signing too many meh players for too much and on ridiculous wages.  Do one or the other - not both!   30k lee again? 

13 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

No I mean get another club to take over the contract (no one would probably be stupid enough to pay him £50k a week) but wave off the transfer fee. If he isn't backup in the Championship do we seriously think he'll ever play IF we're to get promoted. 

I think we need to take some drastic measures to repair. £15m contract £17m fee - a £30m investment that if we go from other patterns is will end up costing us £30m! 

We need to learn to cut our losses rather than experiening the full cost each time. 

Edited by Collymore

29 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

IMG_3491.thumb.png.49a77178e1f43ed7198d9fe9468bc8b9.png

what could go wrong 

Not in anyway attempting to make excuses for the major cock up on our boards part but based on this half the PL on an average spend last year (assuming they spend the same or similar in the other 2 years of 3) are on course to breach financial spending as well. Just shows how the model is so broken…….in addition to seemingly people not being able to count within our club 

Edited by Denzel the fox