Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trent Steel

What type of spider is this?

I know this isn't Steve irwins(rip) site but need an answer on this as I reckon it's a brown recluse and seen a few of these whilst doing the garden this week and I got young kids. Any ideas anyone? Or should I just toast them with a lighter and a can of hairspray?

20240411_165420.jpg

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Not being pious, but I guess that's a joke, right?!! 

I still carry shame and guilt over spiders I've killed in the past. Can't believe I ever did that. 

Yeah it's a joke I wouldnt do that really. Bad joke

I think I am going to trap it in a glass and walk to a field and dump it in the middle and run like a wuss....

Edited by Trent Steel
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm not emailing anybody a detailed description of my specimen including its approximate size. Not after last time anyway. 

Could you post a thumbnail on here then instead? 

34 minutes ago, Trent Steel said:

What should I do it's in my conservatory?

Looks like an orb web spider to me, Harmless and reasonably common.

If you're worried, just catch it in a jar or something similar and release it in the garden. Even if it is a False Widow, treat it the same way.

I'm presuming you're in the UK? Brown Recluse spiders are native to USA and not normally found here.

Don't kill little creatures if you can avoid it, they're having a rough time as it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trent Steel said:

I know this isn't Steve irwins(rip) site but need an answer on this as I reckon it's a brown recluse and seen a few of these whilst doing the garden this week and I got young kids. Any ideas anyone? Or should I just toast them with a lighter and a can of hairspray?

20240411_165420.jpg

That fat body is full of pus.

If you catch don't squeeze it.

Sleep well.

That’s a false widow. They are the UK’s most venomous spider but don’t let that frighten you, they hardly ever bite and their bite is no more significant than a wasp sting. Full size they do look a bit menacing and whilst they stick to their webs they can move if they want to which is a bit scary.