Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CrazyKopCorner

Championship Play Offs

Championship Play Offs   

561 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to win the Championship Play Offs?

• Leeds
    • Southampton
    • West Brom
    • Norwich

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/24 at 11:01

Posted (edited)

Awful two games, weve seen replays scrapped but id rather see play off 2 legs scrapped. Just play one semi final at the highest placed side.

Imagine losing 0-5 away in the first leg and then still have play an home leg.. would any fans bother turn up.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Both games have been really cagey. The fear of losing, making a mistake and concealing a goal is worse than trying to win the game. All teams want to go into the next game with all to play for!.

This is the point I was making earlier. The attitude is ‘don’t lose’ rather than ‘fookin Hell, win this and we are at Wembley!’

Norwich today could have had a really good go, right from the off, but their tactical decision was not to concede goals.

Weak mentality really, typical nowadays of a lot of things 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Systonfox74 said:

Why not just have one game played at a neutral ground and then onto Wembley for the playoff final? 

Money would be my guess. 

It's a good idea (yours) in principle.

I love the play offs personally as they are, I'm sure the powers that be will tweak it at some point.

The old system was ok too (as used in Germany now). 

Edited by STEVIE B

6 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Awful two games, weve seen replays scrapped but id rather see play off 2 legs scrapped. Just play one semi final at the highest placed side.

Imagine losing 0-5 away in the first leg and then still have play an home leg.. would any fans bother turn up.

Well Peterborough were 4-0 last year after the first leg and still lost the tie 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Taking the Wednesday, Peterborough semi final last year as an example then yes they probably would

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

Exciting stuff so far then..

This is better than Norwich/Leeds...... just.

Set up for a Leeds v Saints final.

How does that make a Watford fan feel, preferably to  get Leeds in the Prem l guess ? 

• Like 1

Just now, STEVIE B said:

This is better than Norwich/Leeds...... just.

Set up for a Leeds v Saints final.

How does that make a Watford fan feel, preferably to  get Leeds in the Prem l guess ? 

Leeds as they will probably be strongest if they stay down and it’s furthest away .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Leeds as they will probably be strongest if they stay down and it’s furthest away .

They will be selling if they don't go up. It's hard to say what team they will have if they are in the championship.

Farke is always a handy manager to have at this level though.

27 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Today’s games have been shocking but I’ve watched play-offs for many years and they are usually by far the most exciting thing in football. There have been many, many classic 2-legged semi finals so asking for a change in system just because of today is rash.

This has more to do with modern football’s obsession with coaches like Russell Martin (also Rodgers, Enzo, etc) and their rigid styles of play that take all the joy out the game.

I’m personally a fan of away goals (it would encourage Leeds and Southampton to have been more adventurous today) but there have been loads of great semi-finals without it.

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Fascinating how two, decent sides can play a whole season of football with the ultimate aim of getting promoted.

Then, when they DO get to the play-offs, they DON’T have a right good go at it. Two matches to play your fookin socks off, to reach Wembley.

Both managers must have drilled it into their players to be cagey. To NOT put everything onto the pitch for fear of losing.

It’s a real shame both for the players and the supporters. Reminds me of Southgate as England manager. This emphasis on ‘not losing at all costs’, rather than ‘winning at all costs’.

I’m guessing it’s bound up in the financial riches of making the Premiership. To lose in the play offs is to not win an awful lot of money.

But again, in terms of entertainment and a ‘spectator sport’ it nullifies it, unfortunately 

I agree with all of this, yet it may be beside the point.

The playoffs are a compressed version of tournament football.  You have to get out of your (two team) group, then you can leave it all out there in the final.  You simply cannot take a big risk of leaving yourself exposed in this round.  Especially with a hundred million pounds at stake, as you point out.

The excitement has to come from the emotional intensity and the stakes involved, because you wont get hell-for-leather entertaining football.

And yes, Southgate is a tournament manager who would suck to have at your club.  But that's his job. 

4 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

This game ending 0-0, then both second legs ending 0-0 and going to penalties, might kill the format.

It won't. Sky and the rest pundits will rave about the competitive nature of these games. Close, tight games which were decided on pens. 

I can't see how Leeds will get past Norwich. Today again everytime they tried to attack there were huge gaps in the midfield. If they decide to be more aggressive at the home game Norwich will punish them as Southampton did. 

Farke's tactics and style have been properly exposed. The only thing he can do is play again as passively as today and pray for a 1-0 win or go for the Russian roulette of penalties.