Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Rooney to miss world cup?

"I was scared," Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho told reporters. "England need the boy, the World Cup needs the boy.

"I know Paulo did not touch him, but the worst kind of injuries can be where there was no contact.

"I thought it was a bad injury but I was talking to one of their staff and they said it's no problem for the World Cup."

"I was scared," Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho told reporters. "England need the boy, the World Cup needs the boy.

"I know Paulo did not touch him, but the worst kind of injuries can be where there was no contact.

"I thought it was a bad injury but I was talking to one of their staff and they said it's no problem for the World Cup."

Let's hope so!

It'd be like Wales losing, Giggs, Bellamy, Koumas, Savage and Hartson all in one. ( I know two of them are missing anyway)

No. No it isn't. Because Wales don't have three or four Premiership replacements for Giggs, Bellamy and Koumas waiting in the wings.

i agree with the welsh chap. i was almost heartbroken when i saw him go off but the more i think about it the more i realise we won't miss him too much. with or without rooney, we probably won't win the world cup... all this talk of 1 special player is nonsense, remember 2004? greece? zagorakis? special? and besides beckham, gerrard, lampard, j cole and owen are all capable of special moments. just look at today, the solidness of terry and lampard with the flair of j cole p*ssed all over the 'special' rooney and ronaldo.

if anything, all the press saying how the players have got no chance without rooney will spur them on. i know if i were a world class player like robinson, neville, ferdinand, terry, a cole, beckham, gerrard, lampard, j cole or owen i'd be a bit annoyed at being branded a one man team!

don't worry, we're still in with a shout

Glenn Roeder convinced me that Owen seemed to be alright, there's still 6 weeks left and he's more or less there as he is back in Newcastle's squad.

And for anyine still doubting Rooney's importance, listen to Steven Gerrards post match interview on SSN, he says "He's our best player"

Now, if the PFA player of the year suggests this i'm pretty convinced, he is very pally with Rooney when England get together. I bet they talk about stealing Cars and stuff.

Rooney is out for six weeks. Worth the gamble of taking him anyway?

Definatley, give him a rest against Paraquay, 20 mins against Trinidad and start him against Sweden.

Being a little rusty has never stopped Rooney not performing for England before, a 70% fit Rooney is still better than any other English striker.

Wayne Rooney is a doubt for the World Cup after fracturing a metatarsal bone in his right foot during Manchester United's game against Chelsea.

Rooney has been told he could be out for six weeks, exactly the amount of time until England's first match against Paraguay on 10 June.

Rooney was stretchered off late in Man Utd's defeat at Stamford Bridge.

Meanwhile, Michael Owen was "not 100% happy" with his foot after returning from injury for Newcastle.

Newcastle caretaker boss Glenn Roeder revealed Owen's fears after he returned as a substitute at Birmingham.

Rooney left Stamford Bridge on crutches having injured the same foot that he broke at Euro 2004.

Rooney is seen as being key to England's hopes at the World Cup and any concerns over his fitness would add to England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson's injury worries.

His position is remarkably similar to that of England captain David Beckham before the last World Cup in 2002.

Then, Beckham broke his fifth metatarsal nearly eight weeks before the start of England's World Cup campaign.

And while he played from the start of the tournament, he was clearly not fit - a fact he later admitted.

The fears over Rooney were made worse when Roeder revealed concerns about Owen after the striker came on for 30 minutes at St Andrews, his first appearance since breaking his foot at Spurs on New Year's Eve.

After Owen limped off at the final whistle, Roeder said: "He had the best part of half an hour and when he came in afterwards he was a little bit concerned. He wasn't quite 100% happy with it.

"There was no sharp pain or anything - he described it as dull. He was honest with the medical team in saying he was not 100%.

He added: "The medical department will decide over the weekend what the next step will be. But I have to emphasise Michael is not that concerned."

The fitness of the strikers will be Eriksson's prime concern over the next few weeks, but there are also worries over other players.

Arsenal central defender Sol Campbell has only just returned after a lengthy spell out while team-mate Ashley Cole is fit again but has not played any first-team football.

England and Chelsea centre-back John Terry also picked up an injury in his side's 3-0 win over United but he soldiered on until the end of the game which assured the Blues of the Premiership title.

United right-back Gary Neville also appeared to be hobbling and may yet develop into another concern for Eriksson.

And fellow full-back Wayne Bridge, who is on loan at Fulham from Chelsea, is playing on despite struggling with a tight hamstring

Take him, without doubt.

change formation perhaps to more chelsea styley 3 pronged with joe cole on the left and wright phillips on the right. maybe stick crouch up top, beckham i suppose would have to play the holding role seeing as though sven bums him.

Should Owen and Rooney both be injured, who would you pick upfront?

Fryatt and Eastwood :whistle:

Rooney is irreplaceable, Owen we could have coped with maybe, but if he's to be out as well I can't see us getting past the group stage. None the 3 backup strikers Crouch, Bent and DeFoe are good enough, the latter two also being too similar.

change formation perhaps to more chelsea styley 3 pronged with joe cole on the left and wright phillips on the right. maybe stick crouch up top, beckham i suppose would have to play the holding role seeing as though sven bums him.

I wouldn't play SWP, seem as though he's hardly played all season.

Assuming we take four strikers and Owen and Rooney are out, then Crouch is bound to go the probably Defoe and Bent. Who the fourth striker is I'm not sure. Maybe Beattie? Ashton? Fowler?

Ideally I'd like to see Defoe, Bent, Asthon and Beatti (maybe Fowler for his experience, which without Owen is severly lacking up front), but I think Crouch has been going since the summer.

Perhaps the best formation would be;

--------Crouch (or Bent)

J.Cole ---------------------- Beckham

--------Lampard - Gerrard

---------------Carrick

Carrick would allow Gerrard and Lampard to be freer, meaning they can get forward and play their natural and best game. Goals would have to come from those two and Cole, seem as though a lone striker, particularly Crouch would spend a lot of time holding the ball up and releasing midfield runs. This would only really work though if we play offensively, because the risk of becoming too defensive and alienating the lone striker woulf be too great.

I wouldn't play SWP, seem as though he's hardly played all season.

Assuming we take four strikers and Owen and Rooney are out, then Crouch is bound to go the probably Defoe and Bent. Who the fourth striker is I'm not sure. Maybe Beattie? Ashton? Fowler?

Ideally I'd like to see Defoe, Bent, Asthon and Beatti (maybe Fowler for his experience, which without Owen is severly lacking up front), but I think Crouch has been going since the summer.

Perhaps the best formation would be;

--------Crouch (or Bent)

J.Cole ---------------------- Beckham

--------Lampard - Gerrard

---------------Carrick

Carrick would allow Gerrard and Lampard to be freer, meaning they can get forward and play their natural and best game. Goals would have to come from those two and Cole, seem as though a lone striker, particularly Crouch would spend a lot of time holding the ball up and releasing midfield runs. This would only really work though if we play offensively, because the risk of becoming too defensive and alienating the lone striker woulf be too great.

I was thinking the same last night! :thumbup: Maybe SWP for Beckham

Should Rooney and Owen both miss out, Sven has to really make use of the other attacking players in the squad who aren't strikers such as Gerrard, Lampard, Joe Cole etc.

I'd agree, but maybe utilse Joe Cole in that Beardsley, Sheringham, Rooney 'position'. Watching him yesterday against Man U. Especially his goal, I believe he can do a really good job there!!

Two problems though:

1) We then have no-one on the left (again!!!!!!!!!)

2) All of our reserve strikers are shiite!!! The 'position' won't work without Linekar, Shearer, Owen etc...

:cry::(

---------------------- Bent------------------

J.Cole --------------------------------- Beckham----

--------------Lampard - Gerrard-----------------------

----------------------Carrick------------------------------

For current form, Bent has to be upfront, and Carrick and Joe Cole are playing really well too at the moment. No Owen or Rooney, Sven should gamble on Harewood (Strong, agile and got a good shot).

Archived