Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

1 hour ago, Cake said:

New signing Scott Steel is promising i think. Not very often a player turns down a contract at another club to come to County! 

Saw him player last year. Im hopeful. 

Good start looks promising, hopefully the will pick Malan the 2021 overseas player. I'd like to get at least another quality Batsmen, Bowler and re-sign Lilley, it will be interesting to see what the budget is for the upcoming season. There will be a large pool of players available as counties cutting their cloth accordingly, just got to find the rough diamonds (Nixon is usually a good spot for talent).

33 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'm sure Arron Lilley's medal will be on its way soon from Edgbaston.

Yes extra one needed for Umpire Mallender as well, typical Notts though furloughing their staff so they could be the only county with 2 overseas players 

• Like 1

Really pleased with the signing of Steele. A genuine power hitter in white ball cricket and a more than useful spin option. No doubt he's turned Durham down to come here and play more first class cricket given their limited use of him in the format so hope to see him continue to develop.

He's an opener in white ball cricket but bats at around 4 or 5 (I believe) in longer stuff so should be a real upgrade on Dearden when it comes to filling the Cosgrove shaped hole in the batting lineup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Is that true? Laying off staff but piling money into an overseas player? 

What a vile county they are, if so

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Every side Furloughed staff apart from Surrey.Let's not forget without Notts beating Durham we would not have made the QF

6 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Apparently so, was all over social media and winning the toss should not be such such a major advantage. 

21 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

Really pleased with the signing of Steele. A genuine power hitter in white ball cricket and a more than useful spin option. No doubt he's turned Durham down to come here and play more first class cricket given their limited use of him in the format so hope to see him continue to develop.

He's an opener in white ball cricket but bats at around 4 or 5 (I believe) in longer stuff so should be a real upgrade on Dearden when it comes to filling the Cosgrove shaped hole in the batting lineup.

Anyone who can keep Dearden and Rhodes out of the team is welcome in my opinion, think were still short of an opener to replace Horton even if we get Malan in i can see him only playing for part of the season if SA come calling.

• Like 1

Looking at the squad so far:

Openers

Azad, S.Evans, Welch, Malan (maybe)

Batsmen

Ackermann, Steel, Dearden, Rhodes

Keepers

Hill, Swindells

All rounders

Lilley, Mike

Bowlers

Griffiths, Klein, A.Evans, Davis, Parkinson, Bowley

Spin we are well covered with Parkinson, young Bowley and the part time or all rounder options of Ackermann, Steel and Lilley.

Pace bowlers we are maybe at least a body short with Wright leaving. Also a lot of pressure on Mike to replace Taylor in the bowling all rounder slot.

Keepers are fine but batting still looks short especially given I'd be looking to Lilley and whichever keeper doesn't have the gloves ahead of Rhodes and Dearden though I'd be more than happy to see either start to deliver regularly.

A good seamer and a good batsman who is comfortable opening and I think we are set. Be happy to see Delaney return for the Blast too.

If we could be confident Thomas can stay fit he'd be nice as the seamer and perhaps the injury record brings him into our price range.

Steel opens in white ball cricket and if he can provide cover there for the 4 day games behind Evans and Azad I wouldn't mind us having a look at Harry Finch who Sussex have released. I think he's useful. I rate Luke Wells as well but I think if we bring in another opener they need to be comfortable scoring reasonably quickly as Evans and Azad are both tortoise like and neither look suitable for white ball cricket. Dearden and Rhodes are also slow scorers which compounds the issue if both play in the top/middle order.

Edit: Forgot Nick Welch who changes the picture at the top a fair bit! Doh!

Edited by CrawlingFox

14 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

Looking at the squad so far:

Openers

Azad, S.Evans, Malan (maybe)

Batsmen

Ackermann, Steel, Dearden, Rhodes

Keepers

Hill, Swindells

All rounders

Lilley, Mike

Bowlers

Griffiths, Klein, A.Evans, Davis, Parkinson, Bowley

Spin we are well covered with Parkinson, young Bowley and the part time or all rounder options of Ackermann, Steel and Lilley.

Pace bowlers we are maybe at least a body short with Wright leaving. Also a lot of pressure on Mike to replace Taylor in the bowling all rounder slot.

Keepers are fine but batting still looks short especially given I'd be looking to Lilley and whichever keeper doesn't have the gloves ahead of Rhodes and Dearden though I'd be more than happy to see either start to deliver regularly.

A good seamer and a good batsman who is comfortable opening and I think we are set. Be happy to see Delaney return for the Blast too.

If we could be confident Thomas can stay fit he'd be nice as the seamer and perhaps the injury record brings him into our price range.

Steel opens in white ball cricket and if he can provide cover there for the 4 day games behind Evans and Azad I wouldn't mind us having a look at Harry Finch who Sussex have released. I think he's useful. I rate Luke Wells as well but I think if we bring in another opener they need to be comfortable scoring reasonably quickly as Evans and Azad are both tortoise like and neither look suitable for white ball cricket. Dearden and Rhodes are also slow scorers which compounds the issue if both play in the top/middle order.

Also got Nick Welch. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cake said:

Also got Nick Welch. 

Ah thanks! I had a feeling I'd forgotten someone. From what I've seen he would seem to be a good shout to open with Azad. Nixon's first choice at the moment I'd guess at (backups):

Azad (Evans)

Welch

Ackermann

Steel (Lilley)

Dearden (Rhodes)

Hill (Swindells)

Mike

Klein

Parkinson (Bowley)

Griffiths

Davis (Evans)

An overseas signing anywhere strengthens massively of course.

Edited by CrawlingFox
  • Like 1

Graham Wagg leaving Glamorgan i believe still playing well. You dont want lots of old players but one experienced bowler would be useful. 

Played Club cricket against him when i was younger. In those days he was more of a batsmen. Hit the ball very hard. 

He is 37 but fit. Worth a look. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cake said:

Graham Wagg leaving Glamorgan i believe still playing well. You dont want lots of old players but one experienced bowler would be useful. 

Played Club cricket against him when i was younger. In those days he was more of a batsmen. Hit the ball very hard. 

He is 37 but fit. Worth a look. 

Agree with your thoughts however I think if we were heading down that route we'd have been as well keeping Wright. Which might not have been a bad idea...

46 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Has Chris Wright officially left? 

Haven't seen a thing but it was stated earlier in the season he'd be leaving along with Horton and Cosgrove as they would be looking to younger players.

Perhaps Taylor leaving will mean a change in plan?

Wright would be good but i thought he was leaving as has other interests he wants to pursue? 

I could be wrong? 

Where as wagg wants to stay in the game. Also could bat 7 0r 8 for us. 

If Wright wants to stay fine but i had the impression he was finishing this year no matter what. 

Think Brett Hutton could be a good option as an experienced bowler, only 27 is localish having played for Notts & Northants and a very good bowling average of 26.84 in FC (58 games).

Still think were missing a frontline red-ball spinner but we probably don't have the playing budget for this luxury due to covid. 

• Like 2