Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

On 15/04/2024 at 10:05, Graceroad said:

Barely 200 in the ground yesterday. Regarding free tickets would would the point be in selling memberships if the club are just going to give tickets away every 5 minutes?I had hoped with  the improvement shown last year we see see an increased interest  in the club sadly don't seem to be the case although it's still early in the season.

Well i think my point would be that you wouldn't sell memberships, apart from bundles for white ball games. So red ball games would be free everyone and you'd benefit from increases catering sales. Then at some point you'd charge for a streaming season ticket. I was watching a bit of Surrey v Somerset and their stream was excellent with great commentary from Dan Norcross and Phil Walker. The Hampshire stream had Simon Hughes and Lancs has Bumble, so it's getting more professional. We have Richard Rae...

8 hours ago, Graceroad said:

It was free for City and Tigers season tickets and very few were bothered  and the point remains what's the point in buying a membership if the club are giving away free tickets every game.? Would you be happy going into a chippy and paying a tenner for fish and chips and then finding out other people were getting them free of charge

They wouldn't be giving them away free to every game though would they, you'd still have T20 and the one day stuff. Aware the poster said if entry was free would it make a difference, we could easily give tickets away for free to weekend days when the championship is on, or get some schools down during the week if possible.

No doubt you'll be moaning in a few years about their still being a lack of interest though.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

51 minutes ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Well i think my point would be that you wouldn't sell memberships, apart from bundles for white ball games. So red ball games would be free everyone and you'd benefit from increases catering sales. Then at some point you'd charge for a streaming season ticket. I was watching a bit of Surrey v Somerset and their stream was excellent with great commentary from Dan Norcross and Phil Walker. The Hampshire stream had Simon Hughes and Lancs has Bumble, so it's getting more professional. We have Richard Rae...

Well I would be quite happy for the club to give away free memberships but don't think it would make much business sense  the age range would still be the same and don't think the increased catering sales would amount to that much most would still bring a packed lunch.Agree about Richard Rae worst on the circuit  by a mile 

8 hours ago, Graceroad said:

It was free for City and Tigers season tickets and very few were bothered  and the point remains what's the point in buying a membership if the club are giving away free tickets every game.? Would you be happy going into a chippy and paying a tenner for fish and chips and then finding out other people were getting them free of charge

I don't get what the issue is. A membership is a stake in the club, not just its value for attendance, surely?

You're constantly on about low attendances yet when the club try something to boost that, it's not right either. A guy on another thread mentioned it was his first game because of the offer. He bought some beers and indicated he'll be back again. Even if it was a handful like him, that's a handful that would have spent their cash elsewhere.

I'd be intrigued to know what other initiatives you think could work to solve a problem that, let's be honest, isn't unique to Leicestershire?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

They wouldn't be giving them away free to every game though would they, you'd still have T20 and the one day stuff. Aware the poster said if entry was free would it make a difference, we could easily give tickets away for free to weekend days when the championship is on, or get some schools down during the week if possible.

No doubt you'll be moaning in a few years about their still being a lack of interest though.

Most of the members who attend 4 days games just buy the standard membership which don't Inc T20 and the weekend shown that even with free tickets it don't get many more though the gate . No problem with getting  schools down there

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I don't get what the issue is. A membership is a stake in the club, not just its value for attendance, surely?

You're constantly on about low attendances yet when the club try something to boost that, it's not right either. A guy on another thread mentioned it was his first game because of the offer. He bought some beers and indicated he'll be back again. Even if it was a handful like him, that's a handful that would have spent their cash elsewhere.

I'd be intrigued to know what other initiatives you think could work to solve a problem that, let's be honest, isn't unique to Leicestershire?

I don't mind free tickets once in a while it's every game that I object to. Regarding initiatives I have no idea what would would boost attendances  even when memberships were only £10 under David Collier in the 90s the crowds were only in the low hundreds. 

38 minutes ago, Graceroad said:

I don't mind free tickets once in a while it's every game that I object to. Regarding initiatives I have no idea what would would boost attendances  even when memberships were only £10 under David Collier in the 90s the crowds were only in the low hundreds. 

Is it every game? So far as I recall it's been the very occasional Saturday?

The club have to try something, given all counties are wrongly being increasingly judged on their financial value over the other benefits they bring to the English game.

People don't want to watch a game that takes four days. There aren't enough keen cricket fans who don't have jobs to make any kind of impact on an attendance. 

Saturday in April is not going to see much take-up, it's not difficult to understand why. 

Quite simply it's not a marketable format these days, it's been shit on from a great height and as a result the demand isn't there.

Doesn't help that the demographic with the biggest interest in cricket show absolutely zero desire to watch the local side. 

Looks like Notts have won the bid for the east mids based womens team to the surprise of nobody. It’s a shame because they employ Joe Clarke and we put together a very good bid. 

Edited by Lionator

22 hours ago, Lako42 said:

People don't want to watch a game that takes four days. There aren't enough keen cricket fans who don't have jobs to make any kind of impact on an attendance. 

Saturday in April is not going to see much take-up, it's not difficult to understand why. 

Quite simply it's not a marketable format these days, it's been shit on from a great height and as a result the demand isn't there.

Doesn't help that the demographic with the biggest interest in cricket show absolutely zero desire to watch the local side. 

Sadly your last point is very true one of the all time greats of Indian cricket at GR last week and like you say zero interest

3 hours ago, when_you're_smiling said:

In unsurprising news, Leics have not been selected for a women’s side https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68841517

Reading into it I'm not sure it would be much of a money spinner. Be great kudos and I'd be interested in going but the numbers they are quoting would make little difference. 

If we are realistic how many people would turn out? 

1 hour ago, Cakey said:

Reading into it I'm not sure it would be much of a money spinner. Be great kudos and I'd be interested in going but the numbers they are quoting would make little difference. 

If we are realistic how many people would turn out? 

When you consider how many turn out for CC games, it wouldn’t be a lot would it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CoventryFox said:

Ben Green from Somerset on short term loan. I guess this is to alleviate the Wright situation 

His stats make him look more like a one day player. Average of over 36 with the ball and only taken 10 wickets in 15 games in the county champ and three of those were in one innings. His CC batting average is only 17 as well, but averages over 50 in List A games boosted by a 150. Seems more like a Roman Walker if his injury is worse than thought. 

Edited by when_you're_smiling

Could be a good signing I reckon.

He's a good bowler and a good bat but just hasn't broken into what is generally a strong red ball side for Somerset. Maybe just too much of an all rounder given they have Gregory for that role.

He's key for their white ball sides though and from what I've seen has a bit about him and is a leader. Could add some steel and agression to our side for the next 3 CC games. Can open as well so interesting to see where he fits in.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

He's a good bowler and a good bat but just hasn't broken into what is generally a strong red ball side for Somerset. Maybe just too much of an all rounder given they have Gregory for that role.

He's key for their white ball sides though and from what I've seen has a bit about him and is a leader. Could add some steel and agression to our side for the next 3 CC games. Can open as well so interesting to see where he fits in.

Yeh, surprising he's not played more, he's quicker than some of their other seamers.

1 hour ago, CrawlingFox said:

Sounds promising 👌 

P.s. wouldn't mind Josh Davey on loan again...