Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chelve84

Training Day Updates & Manager Reports

I wouldn't agree with that. When I went down I didn't hear Allen shout a thing all session and it lasted for about two hours. Kelly was vocal on the training pitches but his language was more instructive and I'd even say too nagative at times. Of course he praised good aspects of training but would spend a long time going over faults. I get the feeling that after a while it would've begun to go over players' heads. An enthusiastic, encouraging sentence in the ears of a few players can sometimes do more good then a verbal group bashing. So I wouldn't say Allen's more vocal just more engaging when he speaks. He says it like he means it and it makes others believe that what he's saying is right.

You could pretty much hear Allen as soon as you went by the gate. He was being very vocal when we went and watched.

You could pretty much hear Allen as soon as you went by the gate. He was being very vocal when we went and watched.

Yeah, I'm sure he was. The point I was making was that Kelly was also a vocal manager on the training pitches so that aspect isn't new. What's new is the way the words are being delivered. Kelly's words probably didn't inspire as much because he didn't sound like he believed in himself and what he was saying, which is important when you're trying to get people to take you seriously.

Yeah, I'm sure he was. The point I was making was that Kelly was also a vocal manager on the training pitches so that aspect isn't new. What's new is the way the words are being delivered. Kelly's words probably didn't inspire as much because he didn't sound like he believed in himself and what he was saying, which is important when you're trying to get people to take you seriously.

Allen doesn't waste words on the training ground but has a naturally colourful way of getting his message across.

As mentioned "Entertain Me", was a great example followed by the demand for "High Tempo" and early "This is not a fashion show."

He's a natural with players around him - as I've touched on before he's the first to remind me at all of Bill Shankly in the way he expresses himself and that's as high a compliment as I can pay.

But what's pleasantly surprised me is that he works hard at trying to get the best out of people. Training sessions were demanding and there was no doubting his authority or the focus of the players. But there was nothing dour or oppressive about it.

In fact the atmosphere was great. "You're playing football, enjoy it," was a phrase I heard and it summed up the session. But "enjoyment" in terms of having the freedom to play rather than in any way the enjoyment of a holiday camp.

No-one would take liberties with the guy.

:unsure:

Journaslism is something I'd like to look into doing, but I hear it's very hard to get into now. The popularity has increased dramatically.

Me too Ched :thumbup:

I've been wanting to do it for a couple of years now and virtually made my mind up that I want to go to University and do a degeree in Journalism already! lol

I've been wanting to do it for a couple of years now and virtually made my mind up that I want to go to University and do a degeree in Journalism already! lol

You'd better start by checking your copy, spelling degree correctly and giving the words journalism and university small initial letters. :thumbup::)

Anyone wanting to Journalism, I'd suggest you get in now with a local paper. Newspapers no longer judge a journalism degree as a ticket to employment (it's more than likely your degree will be tailormade to radio and tv). Work now with a small newspaper, it looks great in years to come. Coalville Times offered me a trainee journalism spot which I didn't take, I now regret it. Even if you can't drive, find a way of getting bus or train.

Trust me, with Journalism, a degree isn't the straight forward answer.

Anyone wanting to Journalism, I'd suggest you get in now with a local paper. Newspapers no longer judge a journalism degree as a ticket to employment (it's more than likely your degree will be tailormade to radio and tv). Work now with a small newspaper, it looks great in years to come. Coalville Times offered me a trainee journalism spot which I didn't take, I now regret it. Even if you can't drive, find a way of getting bus or train.

:thumbup: Well said. In fact this is pretty much true for any degree courses these days if there's anyone thinking of it. you don't just walk into professional careers these days - i've a degree in physoics but it took 2 years to get a 'proper' job and even then nothing to do with science!! you need the degree if you can but you also need to develop skills hence the thing about working for a local paper. also send in pices to larger papers they might pick off the odd thing.

I thought certain journalism degrees offered a placement for a set amount of time working on a newspaper? Surely that would tick both boxes if you had both a degree and a few weeks experience working on a newspaper too? :dunno:

I love it when threads go bad.

Anyone serious about getting into journalism should look at the NCTJ site.

Go and do a course, get your certificate then get onto a mag. Everyone I know that works in PR or journalism started off this way but they ended up at the Times/Guardian and Telegraph via Vegetable Monthly and a load of freebie local rags.

A degree doesn't get you into sports journalism - hard work does. :thumbup:

Anybody who may be interested, this was an email I received a good while back when I asked for some advice from the Mercury editor:

Dear Joe

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a career in sports journalism. Unfortunately we do not offer in-house journalism training courses. TheLeicester Mercury usually takes graduates who have passed a pre-entry courseapproved by the National Council for the Training of Journalists, such asthose at Cardiff or London universities. After completing a degree atuniversity, you could go on to do a post graduate course.

The main thing to do is to obtain as much work experience as possible - beit on a student paper, the local paper or radio station or the sports, arts,entertainments magazines. (Please note that the Leicester Mercury is unableto offer work experience placements to students until they are 16 years ofage). What an employer will look for is commitment, and these things helpto illustrate that. They also differentiate you from the thousands of otherapplicants. Above everything, commitment, tenacity and drive are whatusually get the would-be journalist their first break.

If a candidate should secure a trainee reporter position at the LeicesterMercury, we would then require that person to take the NCTJ NCE examinationbefore becoming a 'fully fledged' reporter. The length of time taken toqualify would take a minimum of 18 months, but this always depends upon theindividual.

For more information I suggest you visit the NCTJ website at<http://www.nctj.com/> , telephone number 01799 544014 or the NewspaperSociety at http://www.newspapersoc.org.uk/ or telephone on 020 7632 7400.

I hope the above is of some help to you and would like to take this opportunity to wish you every success in your career.

Regards

Marian Upton

PA to the Editor

Leicester Mercury Group Ltd

Does anyone know what time training will be tomorrow and if we are allowed to go due to the Hinckley game being on Tuesday?

I think it's 10:30 - 12 in the morning session, not entirely sure. I'll be going down on wednesday.

You should be glad you didn't go.

We went, only to find the players were going out anyway somewhere... <_<

You could call it a letdown.

Could call it a letdown ?

I don't know what you're saying. Plenty of action, the gathering in Kentons Range Rover was the highlight for me, classic comedy. Not forgetting Allen driving past us and saying hello.

:yawn:

Archived