Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MBK

Leicester City player ratings

I'm not going to bother with individual ratings as I didn't think anyone was particularly amazing and I don't think it's very constructive to slag off players who are either 17 or being played out of position. Mattock has shown so much promise for his age and if we refuse to sign a left-back then we should give him all the support in the world. I was disgusted with the fans who got on his back today. Young players need time, especially if they are playing in defence when an error can be so much more costly than if playing in an attacking role. He didn't cost us a goal today, he didn't even make any huge errors. He didn't have a recognised left-winger in front of him and we didn't play well in general anyway. I am ashamed to be a Leicester fan when I am surrounded by people who start the season by barracking a teenager. The Walkers Stadium has become a negative, lifeless place populated by a lot of moaning twats who can't wait to get on a particular player's back. That is no good at all to a young player. Experienced players can put mistakes behind them by thinking to themselves "it's okay, I've played hundreds of games at this level in my career and I know I can do this" whereas to young players, it's a constant learning curve. A large minority of our fans don't seem to want to help them in the slightest. I dread to think what sort of ratings Mattock would be getting if he'd actually made an error that led to a goal or looked totally out of place all game, which he didn't.

I thought De Vries he had a good game but I just don't like the way we play when he's in the team and I don't think he'll score enough goals to justify a place up front. If we had a goal threat from midfield it wouldn't be a problem but we didn't have any goal threat from midfield today, in fact we played four players who we will be lucky to get 15 goals from between the four of them this season in my opinion. If we're going to play de Vries then we need to be more positive with our team selection in wide positions than we were today. Ka'abi may help solve this problem but the left side is still hopeless.

Spending millions on a striker is all well and good but the more I see us play, the more I start to think that every position on the pitch is equally important and if you've got as few as two positions being held by players to whom the role is unfamiliar, it upsets the whole balance of the team.

The bottom line is that neither Mandaric or Allen are your average chairman or manager. We are going to have to put up with a lot of things that seem to make no sense at all, whether that is a member of staff leaving, a dodgy signing, strange team selections or certain players being preferred or frozen out completely. This sort of stuff is going to go on all season and we are going to moan about it all. We're football fans. It's what we do. We're Leicester fans. We wouldn't be happy unless we were moaning about something.

Personally, I didn't enjoy today at all - but that is a good thing. The reason I didn't enjoy it is because I expect us to be a better football team than that and I felt the pressure of not beating a team we were expected to beat.

That is a much better reason not to enjoy a game than last season's defeats where you wondered how on earth we were going to win the next game.

Quality post. Certainly an unbalanced set up, and once Weso went CM and Hayes came on we looked a more balanced team. Still can't believe we lost it but was a classic away performance from a very well organised team. I am more hopeful from what I've seen today than last season, its only 1 game and the sooner we can post a few wins the better

Henderson 5.5 - Scared me

Chambers 7.5 - Best player for me before he limped off

Mattock 5.5 - Not a great performance but he's 17 and the people who got on his back were a disgrace

McAuley 6.5 - Tough to grade because his defending was very solid, but his distribution was terrible

N'Gotty 7.5 - Very solid and good distribution. Knows the right thing to do in most situations it seems.

Wesolowski 6 - Played out of position so don't want to judge too harshly.

Newton 6.5 - Much better on the right.

Kishishev 6.5 - Worked hard, a few good tackles but overall not that effective.

Clemence 6.5 - Disappointed to be honest, especially in comparison to the Pompey game.

Hume 6 - Again a bit disappointing but its a rarity for him.

De Vries 7 - Definitely one of the better players on the day.

Stearman 6.5 - Solid when he came on

Campbell 7 - Offered something different coming forward and we looked more likely to score with him on.

Hayes 6.5 - Not on long but caused a few problems down the left and put some good balls in.

Hendo- 5 - Decent, not a lot to do, praps could of got a stronger hand to the goal.

Chambers- 7 - Looked good, impressive, quick, looking to attack all the time.

N'Gotty- 7 - Solid as a rock. Calm influence. Did nothing wrong and i think he is deceptively quick aswel. I like him.

Big Mac- 6 - Solid, but distribution awful, every time hoof, or a header was to anyone but a blue shirt, very very poor distribution, but defending good if you like the no-nonsense, if in doubt get it out defenders.

Mattock- 3 - Had a 'mare unfortunately. Too much too soon perhaps? The driving runs from last season were non-existent, crossing poor, gave the ball away and was at fault for their goal after crucial slip. Hope this isn't the shape of things to come for this lad.

Weso- 6 - Pretty anonymous on the right side, but loads of energy and bite still. Different player though when moved into the centre. Pretty creative and willing to attack.

Kish- 5 - Not fantastic, good energy but wanted too much time on the ball. Needs to adjust to the Championship(even tho yes he was here last season with Leeds). Set plays good though.

Clemence- 5 - Disappointing. Not the force i expected. Dint give the ball away loads, but enough to make it noticable. Considering the hype i was left disappointed indeed. You can see he has something though. Looked better when with Weso in the centre.

Newton- 4 - Poor. Didnt know where to go when he had the ball, seemed scared to attack. Not a left winger.

DeVries- 6.5 - Did everything but score, hit post and crossbar, but not necessarily a good performance. Seems immobile, cant win headers, just has his back to goal constantly, but tried and worked very hard today. Give him a chance and he'll get some goals. Enough to get where we want to be tho?!

Hume- 5.5 - Pretty anonymous, worked hard as ever, but hardly did anything, looked dangerous with the ball, but Blackpool were so well organized he hardly had a sniff.

DJ - 6 - Looked lively, caused problems, one good run, praps should of scored.

Stearman - 5 - Same old shit what does he do thats better than what i could do?

Hayes - 6 - Looked lively, pace, aggression, willing to take on his man, i like that, and some decent balls in aswel.

Martin Allen - 4 - Players out position, never going to work why do it?!

Hendo - 6 (Didn't do anything really wrong)

Chambers - 7.5 (Sliding tackles, running up and down the pitch. Quality play and we missed him when he came off)

Mattock - 5.5 (Lets not forget the age of this lad. Put a couple of decent crosses in but generally seemed like the expectations got to him)

McAuley - 7 (Very Solid)

Bruno - 6 (Atoned for hsi own mistakes a couple of times but his pace or lack of is a worry. Lets hope its just match fitness)

Newton - 7 (He started on the wrong side of the pitch but when switched, looked quite lively and the best of the mids)

Wesolowski - 6 (I feel sorry for him. He isnt a wide midfielder and played left and right. Not his best night but not all his fault)

Clemence - 6 (I expected more from him but then again, his role last season was to give the ball to the better players and we may need more than that)

Kishishev - 5 (Dissapointing. He wasnt what I expected and looked quite laboured. Again, Im sure its all about match fitness with him)

De Vries - 7 (Did well. He actually won some headers and that shot that hit the bat was quality technique. Im still not convinced he is a goalscorer though)

Hume - 7 (Does what he does by dropping deep and shooting and hustling a lot. On another day would have got a goal or two maybe)

Subs

Hayes - 6 (Looked sharp enough with not much end product)

Deej - 7 (Maybe a generous rating but he played on the right and looked lively)

Stearman - 6 (Wasnt as effective as Chambers but did OK)

MA - 6 (Trying to fit Weso in the team somehow and ending up starting him on the right and Newton on the left wasn't wise as we basically had two players playing in alien positions. Thankfully he switched them quite early which is a thumbs up and we started to play better after that. I think he should have waited before bringing DJ on because we had momentum at the time and then brought Hayes on when I would have preferred MF who has been scoring in pre-season and is arguably the only natural penalty box striker we have)

I`d also like to add that I am disappointed that some fo you have taken a 0-1 defeat totally out of context because we deserved to win the game comfortably. We are a new team and half of the lads made debuts with more coming off the bench and the team needs to gel. We wee missing key players like Kisnorbo who I think would have got to a couple of the chances in the opposition box that N`Gotty fluffed BTW and basically it was quite a pacy performance that lacked the finishing touch. Perversely, the strikers had good games overall if you look at general play but whilst many castigate the likes of MF for missing certain chances in pre-season, I still stick by my thoughts that he will score goals given the service and would fancy him to have scored one or two of the chances that MDV and even Dj missed after coming on.

MA doesn't know his best team and is learning and I have the faith he will learn quickly because he has too! Its no point in some of you turning on each other and arguing after one game FFS as we are a new team with new manager! All that said, we created plenty fo chances and should have win easily anyway! Im sure this defeat will also help us in the transfer stakes in closing in on the likes of Murphy, Riordan and JFH as an easy home win may have covered the cracks to a certain extent. A silver lining hopefully??!!

Bring on the Palace who struggled today lol

I'm not going to bother with individual ratings as I didn't think anyone was particularly amazing and I don't think it's very constructive to slag off players who are either 17 or being played out of position. Mattock has shown so much promise for his age and if we refuse to sign a left-back then we should give him all the support in the world. I was disgusted with the fans who got on his back today. Young players need time, especially if they are playing in defence when an error can be so much more costly than if playing in an attacking role. He didn't cost us a goal today, he didn't even make any huge errors. He didn't have a recognised left-winger in front of him and we didn't play well in general anyway. I am ashamed to be a Leicester fan when I am surrounded by people who start the season by barracking a teenager. The Walkers Stadium has become a negative, lifeless place populated by a lot of moaning twats who can't wait to get on a particular player's back. That is no good at all to a young player. Experienced players can put mistakes behind them by thinking to themselves "it's okay, I've played hundreds of games at this level in my career and I know I can do this" whereas to young players, it's a constant learning curve. A large minority of our fans don't seem to want to help them in the slightest. I dread to think what sort of ratings Mattock would be getting if he'd actually made an error that led to a goal or looked totally out of place all game, which he didn't.

I agree with your point, but him tripping over did lead to the goal.

Henderson 6 - Didn't have much to do to be fair.

Chambers 8 - Looked very useful!

Mattock 5 - Not ready, felt for him a bit.

McAuley 6.5 - Defended really well in that first 25 when we were on the back foot, but didn't get better with the rest of the team.

N'Gotty 7 - Very good solid good addition.

Wesolowski 5.5 - Out of position, but didn't do much better in the centre.

Newton 6 - Did alright, has a go at getting behind, look more comfortable on the right.

Kishishev 5 - Wasn't in it.

Clemence 6 - Gave the ball away too much

Hume 6 - Goes into the wrong areas, might work hard but he need to be in the box. Would start with Dj instead.

De Vries 7.5 - Most chances and good moves came through him, started poorly as did most of them. Unlucky not to have scored.

Hendo - 5

Chambers - 6

Mattock - 4.5

McAuley - 6

Bruno - 6

Newton - 5

Wesolowski - 5

Clemence - 4.5

Kishishev - 5

De Vries - 6

Hume - 7

Hayes - 6

DJ - 5

Stearman - 5

The Captain and the Apprentice were the two worst players, Hume was the best.

The midfield was totally overun for the first 30 and matched for the next 30, we only gained control after they scored.

The voice of reason :thumbup:

Your ratings seem to sum up what the majority of posters have said about each player.

............if that makes sense? :unsure::S

Mattock, Mcauley and Henderson cannot be first choice players imo.

3 Henderson - You can't expect players to do much with goal kicks like that. Way too high.

7 Chambers - Good attacking play until he went off. Looked good.

5 McAuley - Made a few mistakes, poor distribution kept trying to win balls Clemence & Kish were going for in midfield.

6.5 N'Gotty - Made some good defensive tackles, got back well. Couple of wayward passes though

3 Mattock - Defended well in the first half but at all times looked clueless with the ball. Backpasses were shocking, was at fault for the goal after he lost posession by slipping over.

6 Newton - Did alright.

5 Kishishev - Didn't do much. Second to every ball. Poor first touch.

6 Clemence - Again had a quiet game in which we were second to every ball.

5 Wesolowski - Didn't do much but was played out of position.

6.5 Hume - Did well to make a couple of chances but didn't have enough ideas to unlock the Blackpool defense.

7 De Vries - Didn't have much chance with Hendersons goal kicks but did very well when the ball wasn't played to his head. Had a few chances and was unlucky not to score.

6.5 Campbell - Maybe lacks confidence but did get chances and will score goals for us.

5 Stearman - Looked clueless when he came on and we missed Chambers' speed and enthusiasm going forward. Still think that CB is probably his best position.

6.5 Hayes - Played some nice balls into the box. Will he be any different to Welsh/Smith though?

Overall we looked better when we played it on the floor and passed it around in the last 25 mins of the first half. Some of last seasons players looked clueless when in posession as Stearman, Mcauley and Mattock. New signings looked like an improvement though imo. I couldn't believe it when I saw the 'dribble away from goal into your own half to make a backpass' return though.

There was also still not much movement off the ball, maybe thats why Hayes looked good when he came on. He was actually trying to make runs into the box. Team needs to gel and definately have more confidence to keep the ball on the ground and use space.

Also corners and free kicks need to be played in with more pace. We were dinking all these into the near post for Mcauley to flick on and their defender was in front of him every single time knocking them to safety. He earnt easy money yesterday.

Seems to me re: Mattock, that there'd be more harm to his confidence if he was dropped against Palace and Watford. I'm sure he was understandably nervous with responsibility but I'm sure he'll grow in the role with more games and wins. I think he's already getting guidance from Chambers who has plenty of experience as a full back. Signing another LB would mean limited chances for Mattock and more often than not this affects players' attitude.

Henderson 6 - Didn't really have anything to do, couldn't have stopped the goal

Chambers 8 - Really impressed. Quick, strong and good positioning

N'Gotty 7 - Great tackle in first half, played fine

McAuley 5.5 - The new Frank Sinclair? Looked like he had a toblerone on his head, the ball was bouncing off at all sorts of angles

Mattock 4.5 - Crap. I try to give young players support, and I was impressed with him at the end of last season, but he was awful yesterday. Constantly gave tyhe ball away.

Newton 6 - Did some good things

Clemence 5 - A real disappointment. Got involved a lot which is good to see, but he gave the ball away most times he got it.

Kishishev 7 - Very busy, retained possession well.

Wesolowski 5.5 - Out of position. Worked hard but ineffective.

de Vries 8 - Thought he was our best player. Brilliant shot in the first half, great hold up pkay throughout. However, having him in the team encourages a style which will never win us matches so I think he should be dropped.

Hume 4 - Useless. I've said it before and I'll say it again. He's sporadically good. He occassionally does good things but he's protected from criticism because he tries hard. Did next to nothing good yesterday.

Campbell 6 - Looked very lively in and around the box. Shame he can't finish.

Stearman 6- Seems more confident under MA

Hayes 6 - Did ok

Henderson 7 - was not used much

Chambers 6 - First half was poor - I thought Stearman showed his potential in this position when he came on - perhaps a reflection on Chambers.

Mattock 7 - I thought a good first half - he had no winger all match and had to defend and attack

McAuley 7 - showed a good appetite for the game. Beat Clemence to headers in his area of the pitch shows how deep Clemence played.

N'Gotty 6 - a saving tackle in first half but not Kisnorbo's equal.

Wesolowski 5 - why did we play 4 midfielders ? Hayes and Porter was what we needed. Very negative selection and not fair on Weso.

Newton 4 - a joke

Kishishev 4 - he plays the same position as Clemence must surely become his understudy. Is he fit ?

Clemence 7 - can see he will be good.

Hume 5 - not in the game.

De Vries 5 - what has changed here ?

Stearman 7 - looks refreshed give him a chance.

Campbell 7 - looked sharp but has he got the final finishing ability ? - only time will tell - their goalie was very good.

Hayes 7 - gave us options and ran for the through ball intelligently

Henderson 6 - A lot of you rating him poorly, saying things like "he scared me" - clean sheet other than the goal which he could have done little about? Those of you rating him poorly are doing so for the sake of it tbfh. Sickening. Kicking was alright but could have been better.

Chambers 7.5 - Looked very useful, fast, brave and effective down the right hand side. Would have been even better if he had a winger to work with.

Mattock 5 - Poor kid. Looked alright in the fast half, tried to get down the left flank but the service just wasn't there. I remember screaming "play the fooking ball, he's gagging for it" when he was stood in acres of space on the left wing with his arms in the air for a good 20 seconds before he was finally given the ball. Second half, he made a couple of mistakes, the fans got on his bank (wankers) and he lost his head.

McAuley 6.5 - Solid enough, dominant in the air, Blackpool really could not break us down because of it, at times showed that he can distribute the ball well when he wants to, but more often than not just hoofed it. Sometimes he was under pressure and had to, sometimes not.

N'Gotty 7.5 - Also very solid, dominant aerially and very good in the tackle, but he could get ripped apart when he comes up against pacy strikers with a clever midfield. At one point got completely skinned by their striker - made up for it with a superb tackle though. More often than not his defensive skill and strength made up for his lack of pace, but I think he needs a pacier centreback alongside him just in case.

Personally I thought other than the goal Blackpool could not break us down in the slightest, their strikers weren't up for much and our defence handled them quite well.

Wesolowski 6 - Ineffectual on the right flank, he's not a winger at all. When moved into the centre he was energetic and more effective and complimented Clemence better than Kishishev did.

Newton - 5.5 - Useless on the left wing, but when switched to the right wing did little better. Unwilling to take his man on, usually just turned and knocked the ball backwards. Put effort in but ineffective.

Kishishev 6 - Plenty of endeavour but a bit superfluous in my opinion. Does break up the play quite well at times but Blackpool were allowed possession in midfield far too often.

Clemence 6 - Disappointing, didn't creative anything. Again worked hard and tried to put himself about but Blackpool really shouldn't have been allowed the ball so often.

I don't think we were overrun in midfield quite as much as some of you seem to think but still too much. Often when we had possession there was a lot of passing but we never knew quite what to do with it.

Iain Hume 6 - Not a lot from him today, don't think he had any faith in De Vries at all, seemed to assume that MDV would lose out in the air. Worked a bit harder in the second half but didn't see enough of the goal for my liking.

Mark De Vries 7 - Not a target man, not particularly good in the air. Held up the ball well though, decent with his feet and a useful passer. There is a place for him in this side but the team cannot treat him like an aerial target man, they have to play the ball into his feet then move for him. Played quite well though, awesome skill for his shot in the first half which cracked the bar, if that had gone in it would have been so beautiful.

Subs

DJ Campbell - Great run when first given the ball, didn't see enough of goal for me but potential is there.

Jonathan Hayes - Looked bright on the wing, very direct and should definately start there for me but needs to work on his end product.

Richard Stearman - Did alright, was solid enough. No mistakes but he's nowhere near as good going forward as Chambers is, and his touch ain't great.

Guest actuallyplayedthegame

Seriously only a handful of you have any idea of what your talking about. I mean yeah you pay your money you have the right to your opinion but at the end of the day I've read what the majority of you have written and it proves you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what you are talking about. This is why none of you play football. So stick to your pathetic little 9 to 5 jobs and your sad lives before you start criticizing people in a job you know nothing about and you can only dream of doing. Imagine if a footballer came into your little office and tried to tell you how to keep it in order. I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy. You pay your money but it runs out at 4.45pm unfortunately. Having watched the game myself yesterday i really don't think you can have too much to complain about really apart from the result. Its about time you got behind your team instead of being the pessimistic idiots you are (this doesn't apply to you all).

Your comments are welcome!

Seriously only a handful of you have any idea of what your talking about. I mean yeah you pay your money you have the right to your opinion but at the end of the day I've read what the majority of you have written and it proves you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what you are talking about. This is why none of you play football. So stick to your pathetic little 9 to 5 jobs and your sad lives before you start criticizing people in a job you know nothing about and you can only dream of doing. Imagine if a footballer came into your little office and tried to tell you how to keep it in order. I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy. You pay your money but it runs out at 4.45pm unfortunately. Having watched the game myself yesterday i really don't think you can have too much to complain about really apart from the result. Its about time you got behind your team instead of being the pessimistic idiots you are (this doesn't apply to you all).

Hello Martin, unlucky yesterday :whistle:

henderson-6-didn't have to do much

chambers-8- would've been man of the match but had to go off injured

MacAuley-7- he did ok and was solid enough

N'gotty-7- impressed made good last ditch challenges and got rid of the ball simply

mattock-5- didn't impress lost his confidence as the game went on

wesolowski-6- did ok but was played out of position didn't have much of an impact on the game

kishishev-7- won the ball back well and didn't make many mistakes

clemence-6- strong in the challenge but had to keep dropping into defence to recieve the ball

newton-7- played well got the ball quite a bit and went at players and passed the ball well

De vries-8- man of the match for me held the ball up well and brought other players into play. was unlucky not to score with the volley that hit the crossbar and should've done better with the free header he had from a corner in the second half.

hume-6- tried hard but wasn't very effective.

That might make just a wee bit of sense if you actually explained who you are and why you are qualified to take the high ground.

Are you professional footballer, if so why where you watching and not playing?

Are you a retired successful professional footballer?

Are you ex-manager with a history of success?

Or are you just someone that does actually have a boring 9 to 5 job and is an attention seeking twat!

I thought De Vries he had a good game but I just don't like the way we play when he's in the team and I don't think he'll score enough goals to justify a place up front. If we had a goal threat from midfield it wouldn't be a problem but we didn't have any goal threat from midfield today, in fact we played four players who we will be lucky to get 15 goals from between the four of them this season in my opinion. If we're going to play de Vries then we need to be more positive with our team selection in wide positions than we were today. Ka'abi may help solve this problem but the left side is still hopeless.

Spending millions on a striker is all well and good but the more I see us play, the more I start to think that every position on the pitch is equally important and if you've got as few as two positions being held by players to whom the role is unfamiliar, it upsets the whole balance of the team.

The bottom line is that neither Mandaric or Allen are your average chairman or manager. We are going to have to put up with a lot of things that seem to make no sense at all, whether that is a member of staff leaving, a dodgy signing, strange team selections or certain players being preferred or frozen out completely. This sort of stuff is going to go on all season and we are going to moan about it all. We're football fans. It's what we do. We're Leicester fans. We wouldn't be happy unless we were moaning about something.

Personally, I didn't enjoy today at all - but that is a good thing. The reason I didn't enjoy it is because I expect us to be a better football team than that and I felt the pressure of not beating a team we were expected to beat.

That is a much better reason not to enjoy a game than last season's defeats where you wondered how on earth we were going to win the next game.

Unfortunately our expectations have been raised too much. Yesterday's result was "typical Leicester". Blackpool had the advantage of having played alot of competitive games together last season as a team unlike us. There was some good passing moves from defence through the midfield but often in the first half things broke down in the final third - it took us about 15 mins to have a shot on goal.

My own concerns are that we will not be in the top 6 starting matches with Hendo, Newton & attacking partnership of Hume/MDV. MDV did not have a bad game & did look improved from when he played under Levine but at the end of the day, he's not gonna turn into a 15-20+ goal scorer. I'm also concerned that MA buys a goalie/striker (DJ) & neither start. When DJ came on, he showed some positive touches but also lacked positional awareness - I saw MA shouting at him a few times for not getting forward/in the correct position. Campbell/Kishicev were too similar; Weso was out of position. Central defence were both good but I'm concerned about lack of pace.

It's not all doom & gloom after one match & hopefully the stikers (would prefer MF in starting line up) will finish the opportunities. We should have at least drawn yesterday's match. However, yesterday was a reality check on expecting the Foxes to automatically become a top 6 team. Anyway if Scrowcroft can score a hat trick for CPFC maybe there's hope for our forwards yet............bring on the Palace........ :D:D

Guest actuallyplayedthegame
That might make just a wee bit of sense if you actually explained who you are and why you are qualified to take the high ground.

Are you professional footballer, if so why where you watching and not playing?

Are you a retired successful professional footballer?

Are you ex-manager with a history of success?

Or are you just someone that does actually have a boring 9 to 5 job and is an attention seeking twat!

why do i have to explain to you, you sad twat. it doesn't matter who i am or what i do and you know what I'm saying makes sense. Accept it and fook off you gimp!

Archived