Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

I love that second picture. Very apt.

I think you'll find that has my trademark photographic technique written all over it. just had to take those pictures at the back and in the tunnel cause i knew the club wouldn't consider capturing the 'real' character of the place.

it's weird, from that low angle the corridor behind the kop looks huge, but just remember trying to squeeze down to the bogs at half time.

thanks for posting, i don't have copies... :whistle:

I'd never saw any pictures etc. of Filbert Street before... God it was crap small!

At a football ground you spend most of you time looking at the pitch.

I'm afraid what the average supporter gets is no more than filbert street, all of the money has been spent improving corperate facilities etc

Average fans get the same plastic seat set in concrete,same crappy food, same queing, same rip of prices.

Only now the pitch is a long way from most seats, no banter between fans +football quality is poor

Most fans that go to the Walkers were sold to LCFC at filbo and cling on to memories.

I can assure you for many reasons the experience of watching LCFC is nothing like as enjoyable as it was then, not being an old fart speaking as a fan who turns up out of habit

At a football ground you spend most of you time looking at the pitch.

I'm afraid what the average supporter gets is no more than filbert street, all of the money has been spent improving corperate facilities etc

Average fans get the same plastic seat set in concrete,same crappy food, same queing, same rip of prices.

Only now the pitch is a long way from most seats, no banter between fans +football quality is poor

Most fans that go to the Walkers were sold to LCFC at filbo and cling on to memories.

I can assure you for many reasons the experience of watching LCFC is nothing like as enjoyable as it was then, not being an old fart speaking as a fan who turns up out of habit

:appl:

Bring Filbo back! :cry:

My best memory was when we stuffed Cambridge 5-0 in a play off semi final after drawing at their ground in the first leg. A young Dion Dublin was quite a menace back then and they really did know all about long ball. John Beck picked a good side full of thugs...

Anyway... standing in the kop jumping around hugging grown men i had never met ( as per usual for a city win) each time a goal went in watching us absolutly destroy one of the most awkward teams i had ever seen was ace. We even gave Cambridge a clap as they went round the pitch - we were feeling THAT sporting at having won!!! That game had everything... cambridge tried to gang rape us in the first few minutes but we some how got through it. It also had the best save i had ever personally seen by a GK.. totally bizarre save by their kepper yet fantastic....

Best city Memory STANDING in the Spion Kop!!!

those were the days and if anyone ever is able to find a video of the highlights ( featured on central sports special) then i would be most grateful!!!! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Red Star Belgrave at home! Phwoarrr.

Remember those days, bit annoyed i wasn't a bit older as i would of enjoyed it more,

but at least i have the memory. Only was in the kop 2 seasons whilst being in the north stand for 5 i think but they were still quality. Mind you i don't think it mattered their was an atmosphere everywhere.

How the away fans hated coming was special. The opposition players and fans both hated it. Would like to see more pictures, as i think their all so memorable.

i used to love midwekk games, there was a special fag/cigar/pipe smoke smell, mixed with various pies, coffee and wee steam i loved mid week games, i also still have the back of 'my' seat . there were the same people around week after week and the same look-a-likes sat round us too!

As someone who went along into the penns back in the late 80s, I can say that the stadium and atmosphere was top quality. Poor sides, even worse managers, little money but a support that would leave me almost without a voice after 90 minutes of chanting.

To me thats the biggest disappointment about our club today. Its not the fact that we are not playing well or winning, just that 27,000 supporters cant make the noise that 8,000 at home against a Hull or Barnsley used to. At least we were shite but had fun then.

Anyway, Filbo will never be forgotten, I just wish IO had some images of those amazing days. I hope those who have do manage to upload them. :thumbup:

As someone who went along into the penns back in the late 80s, I can say that the stadium and atmosphere was top quality. Poor sides, even worse managers, little money but a support that would leave me almost without a voice after 90 minutes of chanting.

To me thats the biggest disappointment about our club today. Its not the fact that we are not playing well or winning, just that 27,000 supporters cant make the noise that 8,000 at home against a Hull or Barnsley used to. At least we were shite but had fun then.

Anyway, Filbo will never be forgotten, I just wish IO had some images of those amazing days. I hope those who have do manage to upload them. :thumbup:

:santa:

Opposing fans hated the ground and the walk back to the car also !!

I have to admit I thought we needed a new ground but I was wrong as it's a souless plastic stadium where we have not yet moved into and probably never will

My best memory was when we stuffed Cambridge 5-0 in a play off semi final after drawing at their ground in the first leg. A young Dion Dublin was quite a menace back then and they really did know all about long ball. John Beck picked a good side full of thugs...

Anyway... standing in the kop jumping around hugging grown men i had never met ( as per usual for a city win) each time a goal went in watching us absolutly destroy one of the most awkward teams i had ever seen was ace. We even gave Cambridge a clap as they went round the pitch - we were feeling THAT sporting at having won!!! That game had everything... cambridge tried to gang rape us in the first few minutes but we some how got through it. It also had the best save i had ever personally seen by a GK.. totally bizarre save by their kepper yet fantastic....

Best city Memory STANDING in the Spion Kop!!!

those were the days and if anyone ever is able to find a video of the highlights ( featured on central sports special) then i would be most grateful!!!! :thumbup:

The original Tommy Wright was immense that night as were most of the team and as for Dublins stupid chess board haircut on the night.... :doh:

the realisation that we were going to wembley made for an eveb more amazing evening, a great night

Used to love chucking coins the banter between us in the kop, and the away fans.

STANDING ON YOUR SEAT in Pen 2!!! :o

THAT was football.

You even had a sense of anticipation when you walked past Filbert Groceries and walking past the away fans to The Kop.

A little look at the away fans,a few snidey comments a few racial slurs aimed at me....you couldn't beat it!!! :unsure::D

And now....pppppfffffttttttttt!!!! :(

The original Tommy Wright was immense that night as were most of the team and as for Dublins stupid chess board haircut on the night.... :doh:

the realisation that we were going to wembley made for an eveb more amazing evening, a great night

Yeah, what was that hair cut all about! lol.

we had players back then who played their heart out for the club...

Tommy wright, Kevin Russell... Happy days.. :cry:

I remember one game.. cant remember who it was against but the club gave away 3,000 tickets to school kids and put them all in the top tier of the south stand above the away fans....

message came over the tannoy, i swear the guy was mocking the away fans when he said it...

" this is a message to the children sitting in the South stand above the away fans. Can you please stop chucking boiled sweets at the away fans"

they got biggest cheer of the game! :scarf:

What a stadium :scarf:

I was quite young when Filbert Street was around, but I can still remember the games that I used to go to. I remember I actually loved going there because of the noise and what it felt like even though when it got knocked down I was 9 - 10. I still go to the Walkers every game hoping that one day, an atmosphere like that is created once again. I just don't think it will be anymore, but I live in hope.

The best game I can remember is probably the last game there...against Spurs'. The atmosphere was brilliant and to cap it all, my favorite player, at the time, scores the winner.

Oh happy days. :scarf:

Filbert Street was brilliant, I can remember my first game there. We played Everton in 1996, and although we lost, I enjoyed it so much. Went to various matches over the next three years, always sat in the South Stand Upper, when, in 1999 when I was 9, Dad asked me if I wanted a season-ticket. I jumped at the chance, and I didn't regret it.

Sat in the North Stand for those the final three years at Filbert Street, and some great matches stand out for me:

The 5-2 win over Sunderland in 1999/2000 season, 3-1 win over Leeds the next year, 2-1 over West ham, and the 2-0 win against Liverpool, before it all went pear-shaped.

In the last year at the Street the match against Man Utd when we got relegated, but the noise was amazing. We didn't stop singing, cracking support, and the final match at the great place, when Matty Piper headed in the ground erupted. The season was awful, but Filbert Street deserved a winning send-off.

The only thing that annoyed me was the fact I live in Norwich, so I missed all the great midweek cup matches, like against Arsenal, Fulham, Aston Villa (Matty, Matty Elliott), and the Uefa Cup game against Red Star Belgrade. I was not happy at missing that one. Damn school :@

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

Great times, great memories. Maybe they will come back one day.