Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Video games you have loved

I started out with video games by playing on the NES at some friends' place.

Obviously, Tetris. It was my entry into the world of video games back in 1990.

My dad bought me one of the first GameBoys available - you know, the big, fat one with the poor & pixelled screen.

But it was fun.

Also, I used to be into Super Mario Bros. more in my youth days. Never really liked Sonic that much (yes, I was a Nintendo geek back then!) and playing on a SEGA was a rare sight.

Later on came the SNES, which was a revolutionary step from 2D to 3D.

I had a set with what I now consider the most spectacular football game in the early Nineties:

Super_Soccer_SNES_ScreenShot3.gif

SUPER SOCCER!:thumbup:

Speaking of the SNES, I also played Zelda: A Link to the Past a lot. What a great atmosphere that game had.

zelda3.jpg

Also worth mentioning:

NHL '94 - I used to spend hours playing against my best friend back in the days. The game was hard as hell (scoring was easy, though - only needed to know one particular trick :cool: )

FIFA International Soccer

Super Punch Out!!

Super Metroid - those aliens scared the shit out of me when I was younger. Great atmosphere, as well. That and a haunting soundtrack.

Super_Metroid_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Street Fighter II - Hadouken! :D

153438__streetfighter_l.jpg

A few years later, I switched to Sony and the Playstation(One). There weren't that many outstanding games for me that had me hooked, apart from

Final Fantasy VII - man, how I loved this piece. I still love it. RPG in perfection - well, nearly.

sephiroth.jpg

Actually, I played every single FF games on the PS(One), and they were all brilliant. Part 7 tops them all, still. A few years later, SquareEnix started selling the older Final Fantasy parts for the Playstation and I enjoyed part VI, as well.

Then there was the ultra-hard X-COM: UFO Defense

The first Metal Gear Solid was also a revelation:

sony-psx-metal-gear-solid-screenshot-big.png

Not to speak of Resident Evil, which gave me near-heart attacks in my early years at high school (note: dogs jumping through windows, opening doors :mrgreen:):

biohazard.jpg

I never really got into the later parts of the series, actually. But the very first Silent Hill caused about the same chilling feelings:

Switching to the Dreamcast for a short period, I played Resident Evil Code: Veronica a fair bit, though:

And let's not forget the groundbreaking Shenmue: Part One (but I doubt that I ever finished it - it was way too long)

Shenmue-7.jpg

grand_theft_auto_3.jpg

My PS2 days were also wonderful, with titles such as FF IX and X, NHL '04, Metal Gear Solid 2, the Grand Theft Auto III series or Pro Evolution Soccer. But those franchises are still going strong and I can still enjoy them on the XBOX 360, which is about the latest technology I own.

Oh, and a special mention goes out to Monkey Island 1 & 2. Technically, not a video game at all. I simply put it here out of nostalgia. They were great games, as were practically all LucasArts products (Indiana Jones, for instance).

monkey_island.gif

Oh my gosh, can't believe what positive feelings naming those games still evoke today. Aww, "when I was young..." :P

Oh, and I played Sensible Soccer on PC, too.

And I'm sure I've missed out on quite a lot other games.

Mark has impecable taste in computer games.

Grim Fandango. Fantastic.

Oooooh good shout indeed! Continuing in the adventure game theme, Sam 'n' Max Hit the Road and Full Throttle are both also class. Also, System Shock, Thief, Deus Ex, Mechwarrior 2, the first two Elder Scrolls games, I was a right geek back in the day :D Saying that, its odd that those games are all at least 8 years old now, makes me feel rather old.

120px-BBC_Micro_Elite_screenshot.png180px-Elite_The_Dark_Wheel_Novella.jpgnow im showing my age , think this was the forst game i ever owned , when i had the bbc micro ohhh happy days

Classic stuff, I had Elite 2 and Elite 3 back in the day. Wasted far, far, too much time on them.

I was later on, my first was 03-04, the last CM in fact.

Bloody good it was though.

Best. Nicest interface by a mile, ran quick, completely absorbing, and not buggy.

I've pissed endless amounts of my life away on Simcity 3000 and Age of Empires.

Ocarina of Time is an absolute classic.

ANY pokemon game. Any.

OH also, for the Mastersystem:

golfy1boxart_160w.jpg

To list a few:

PC:

Dune 2

Redneck Rampage

Wolfenstein 3D

Need For Speed 2

Stunts 4D

Epic Pinball

Pinball Fantasies

Psycho Pinball

Championship Manager 99/00 (and onwards)

USM 2 & 98/99

FIFA 99

Track & Field

Diablo 1 (especially) & 2

SNES:

Street Fighter 2

Secret of Mana (or Seiken Densetsu) (oh, how I adored this!!)

Desert Strike

Sunset Riders

Ecco the Dolphin

Sensible Soccer

General Chaos

Can't remember the name of this one - little army men viewed from above. You'd move them about the screen by directing a cursor and clicking on it.Had a comic style to the game.

All time favourite was Track and Field. When I was 18 I had a summer holiday job with an hours lunch break each day. My girlfriend came to meet me even though she had to catch two buses to do so. We met in a pub for lunch and I spent the whole hour on track and field. At the time she didn't complain, even though I know she thought I was being selfish

Can't remember the name of this one - little army men viewed from above. You'd move them about the screen by directing a cursor and clicking on it.Had a comic style to the game.

Sounds like Cannon Fodder.

27_cannon_fodder.JPG

When games came on a CD...Dark Forces - it was a massive step forward in FPS gaming.

Dark_Forces_box_cover.jpg

The first time I heard the words "Stop, rebel scum!" I was in heaven!

For those of us who remember the ZX Spectrum.

AACassette003.jpg

Ant Attack! Class... and so hard on later levels (none of your poncy, save game crap)

I used to love some of the adventure games.

dod1.jpg

Wooo, Day of the Tentacle!!!

Right, gonna have athink about this and come back with some screen shots :P

The first time I heard the words "Stop, rebel scum!" I was in heaven!

And they looked dead surprised when (using the cheat mode) you suddenly morphed through the wall :D

Apes Oddesey (Follow me) - Playstation 1.

International Superstar Soccer Pro - First pro evolution

Onside soccer - First managing game on playstation but you could also play the matches your self, If any of you had it you can surely remember the game starting up and the stadium when it gives you a tour around the city looking like the Walkers?

Track and Field (Athens 2004)

For those of us who remember the ZX Spectrum.

AACassette003.jpg

I had that. I thought it was ace.

Sensible Soccer on the Amiga is about the best football game ever apart from the Pro Evo Series in my view. I always thought Kick Off was piss poor in comparison.

From the modern era, the first Call of Duty on the PC is brilliant. Half Life and Half Life 2 are similarly ace, and Far Cry wasn't far behind those.

I am the only person in the world that thinks Grand Theft Auto is boring crap

My first console was the Atari 2600 and I was a big Star Wars fan so I loved:-

Death Star Battle (1983 - atari 2600)

star_wars__death_star_battle.png

Got my all time fave the c64 soon after and loved:-

C64 International Football (1983)

internationalsoccer6.gif

As far as arcade games go, I loved this one:-

Star Wars Cockpit Arcade Machine

Cabinet-White-top.jpg

I own this back in the UK, its stored at a friends house. I always wanted one and when I could afford one I got one. I remember playing it back in the mid 80's whilst on holiday I think skegness I spent pretty much the whole holiday in there. I set the highest score and when i went back the following year I couldnt believe it but my score was still at the top, happy days.

Archived