Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got any ideas about combatting shin pain? It's royally screwing up my training at the minute.

I changed my trainers, and like a miracle the next run they disapeared and have never bothered me before. It might be worth getting your gait tested, I know some say it's a load of bollocks but the lady's in running fox in Loughborough watched me walk up and down in their shop, asked me if my shins or hips hurt and then immediately recommended brooks. I've not had the problem again in about 10 years of running.

Anyone got any ideas about combatting shin pain? It's royally screwing up my training at the minute.

Stretch your calves really well post run. Is it the whole of your shin that hurts? The insides of mine used to hurt after long runs and someone suggested to me that massaging the OUTSIDE of the lower leg would help, and lo and behold it actually did

Go and see a physiotherapist and get him to deep tissue massage THE HECK out of your calves.

If you've already had gait analysis done, it might be worth seeing a podiastrist or biomechanist to have a proper look at you.  Don't go to a Dr Scholl high street version of the former as they're shite, in my experience 

I'm stretching loads as well before and after. It's the whole shin.

You are doing the right thing.

Just a quick question. Have you changed the intensisty of your training? In other words are you doing speed sessions for eg? Just to rule out a possible cause. You say the whole shin are you talking the back and the front?

A physio for a deep massage might help.

You can try to strengthen the muscle core by doing a small weight session (resistance  training). You can do this at home and you need a bag you can tie up with handles you can loop over your foot. Put a small bottle of water in the bag (500mls will be fine to start with) Sit on a chair high enough for your feet to be off the floor. Start with your toes pointing down and then gradually lift your toes up so your foot is level (ie as it would be if standing up). Do not try to bring your foot up so that your toes are pointing up there is no need. Repeat a few times. You will have to judge how many but don't overdo this. You should feel a slight pull in the muscles at the front of your shin.

Also try a kneeling position.

Bit of a lenghty description but here goes.

With bare feet, kneel on  the floor with your shins parallel and your toes pointed behind you. Place a couple of firm cushions between your feet. gradually sit back towarsds your heels until your backside touches the cushion. Sit in this position for 1-2 minutes until any tightness in your shins eases. Then remove 1 cushion and repeat, It really needs foam blocks but firm cushions or even books could be used.

The idea is that the stretch enabels you to stretch your shins for a prolonged period and also places a stretch on your knees and ankles. If the later feel tight then roll up a towell and place this beneath the front of your ankles. This will reduce the stretch to them.

Consider how you are running.  Does it start off bad and stay there or does it come on over the period of a longer run? Don't forget the more tired you get the less able you will be to run in a good manner etc. Don't beat yourself up over this it is completely normal for people not used to running distances to not maintain their running style.

Do you run on the pavement or the road? If safe to do so and you are not try the road. The surface is 5-10% softer and the slight reduction in impact can make a difference.

There are methods of taping which can help but I'm not expert enough to advise on those. A physio should be able to though.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm in tatters, full of man flu still suffering with shin splints and completely unprepared. Tomorrow I'm running the Hillingdon half marathon and even that will be a struggle to finish.

2 weeks until the London Marathon and I'm wavering massively.

You'll be fine. Your taper will allow you to recover and refresh and you'll be absolutely buzzing on marathon day right from the moment you get up and have breakfast with the other runners, getting the tube to the start as the crowds build with a real sense of nervous excitement, you'll feel fantastic on the start line. If you can, the day before get a tube to the finish on the Mall and sit in the park watching them set up the finish line, just helps get you in the mood and builds up the exitement. Try not to do too much though, I find travelling around on the tube tiring and massively dehydrating.

I'm in tatters, full of man flu still suffering with shin splints and completely unprepared. Tomorrow I'm running the Hillingdon half marathon and even that will be a struggle to finish.

2 weeks until the London Marathon and I'm wavering massively.

How was the half?

Had to bail out at mile 7. Couldn't catch my breath all the way round. Struggled horrifically in the heat and it was just a travesty all round.

2 weeks to recover, regroup and sort my life out.

You have very little chance of completing London if you can't complete a half 2 weeks out, I finished Belvoir HM today and don't think I'm in any condition to double up in a few weeks, is there anyway you can defer until next year?

Had to bail out at mile 7. Couldn't catch my breath all the way round. Struggled horrifically in the heat and it was just a travesty all round.

2 weeks to recover, regroup and sort my life out.

Sorry to hear that man. It's quite unusual to have a half so close to the full. It's recommended to give one a go something like 8-10 weeks before, and at this stage the plan would be to taper off your running. Even if it had gone well today you're not leaving yourself much time to recover and be on form for London.

Anyway, that's in the past. You know that you've got a monumental challenge on in two weeks time but you can do it if you forget any thoughts about timing (I'm sure you weren't that bothered anyway) and look to just nurse yourself round. There are many factors that will be favourable for you on the 26th; the support and feel of being in such a big race will be such a boost to you. Think of a Formula 1 car having constant use of KERS.

All the best man. I hope it goes well, but it would also be completely logical to pull out at this stage and focus on another attempt, another time.

Meanwhile, I've been back running for the first time in about 6 months since the Leicester Marathon. That day in October will always be one of the coolest days of my life but it didn't half ruin my knees lol

It's taken a long time to be back but I managed to ease out 5k on the running track in 20:24. Nice little start but I want to build on that, I've got a half booked on May 10th and I'm looking to beat my previous best of 1:44. As that was two years ago now, I'm ambitiously hoping to take at least 10 minutes off that.

Sorry to hear that man. It's quite unusual to have a half so close to the full. It's recommended to give one a go something like 8-10 weeks before, and at this stage the plan would be to taper off your running. Even if it had gone well today you're not leaving yourself much time to recover and be on form for London.

Anyway, that's in the past. You know that you've got a monumental challenge on in two weeks time but you can do it if you forget any thoughts about timing (I'm sure you weren't that bothered anyway) and look to just nurse yourself round. There are many factors that will be favourable for you on the 26th; the support and feel of being in such a big race will be such a boost to you. Think of a Formula 1 car having constant use of KERS.

All the best man. I hope it goes well, but it would also be completely logical to pull out at this stage and focus on another attempt, another time.

??? Most tapers have a long run 4 weeks out, 20 ish miles at that point then drop back. Ashby 20 is an established London training run.

Archived