Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

I'm seriously tempted to get back into running, I've not smoked for nearly a year now and I'm not really out of shape. I may ght start this week in fact, any tips for dusting off the cobwebs guys? I was a very good long distance runner in my younger days, so hopefully some of that natural fitness will return quickly.

I'm seriously tempted to get back into running, I've not smoked for nearly a year now and I'm not really out of shape. I may ght start this week in fact, any tips for dusting off the cobwebs guys? I was a very good long distance runner in my younger days, so hopefully some of that natural fitness will return quickly.

Join a club is my best advice

My plan was always to taper well in advance but my shin splints cutting out over a month of my training put paid to that. I was going to ramp up from today's half to 15-16 next weekend and feel better about London. The man flu has even further shit in my cereal and I'm in tatters in all honesty.

I made my peace months ago that it was going to be nothing but a battle to get through to the end. I've got 2000 reasons why I'm not backing out now.

My plan was always to taper well in advance but my shin splints cutting out over a month of my training put paid to that. I was going to ramp up from today's half to 15-16 next weekend and feel better about London. The man flu has even further shit in my cereal and I'm in tatters in all honesty.

I made my peace months ago that it was going to be nothing but a battle to get through to the end. I've got 2000 reasons why I'm not backing out now.

Walk the ****er if you have too, don't give in now.

What shoes did you get in the end?

It's a bit late to do this, but try shorter steps, it feels like you are running on the spot but reduces the impact.

Don't try to go for any records. Take your time and enjoy the run.

In terms of taper, I agree with what has been said before, 20+ miles four weeks out is ideal, so a half two weeks out is good. You now need to do nice 7 mile maintenance runs until the big day.

What shoes did you get in the end?

It's a bit late to do this, but try shorter steps, it feels like you are running on the spot but reduces the impact.

Don't try to go for any records. Take your time and enjoy the run.

In terms of taper, I agree with what has been said before, 20+ miles four weeks out is ideal, so a half two weeks out is good. You now need to do nice 7 mile maintenance runs until the big day.

Think they are Asics. They were recommended in the Runners World where I had my gait tested.

Sorry to hear you've had some problems.

Seriusly how far have you managed to complete? 

Whatever you do DO NOT attempt a 15-16 mile run this close to a marathon. You must taper down now. A long run at this stage will sap your energy and you are going to need it all. Personally I wouldn't do more than 8-10 miles 7 or 8 days out at a very slow pace.

Now it is as much in your head as in your legs.

Above all be realistic. The last marathon I ran I did my Achilles in the autumn and I wasn't able to train properly until the end of January and the marathon was in April. I knew I would struggle but was prepared for it. I completed it in a slower time than I had previously but I actually consider the achievement to be on a par with completing my first.

Hopefully your illness will clear up but on a serious note if it continues and  you have an illness which affects your breathing you should seriously consider seeing if you can defer.

Let us know if you are going ahead and i'll post some race day advice which you can either take on board or completely ignore! 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear you've had some problems.

Seriusly how far have you managed to complete?

Whatever you do DO NOT attempt a 15-16 mile run this close to a marathon. You must taper down now. A long run at this stage will sap your energy and you are going to need it all. Personally I wouldn't do more than 8-10 miles 7 or 8 days out at a very slow pace.

Now it is as much in your head as in your legs.

Above all be realistic. The last marathon I ran I did my Achilles in the autumn and I wasn't able to train properly until the end of January and the marathon was in April. I knew I would struggle but was prepared for it. I completed it in a slower time than I had previously but I actually consider the achievement to be on a par with completing my first.

Hopefully your illness will clear up but on a serious note if it continues and you have an illness which affects your breathing you should seriously consider seeing if you can defer.

Let us know if you are going ahead and i'll post some race day advice which you can either take on board or completely ignore!

Good luck!

Absolutely no chance at all of me deferring! I've got this far and it'd take 2 broken legs to keep me from the start line. The man flu has pretty much cleared and I managed a steady 7 miler last Sunday without incident. Didn't want to push it. Saved some for Sunday.

It's all very real now. And will even more when I get my number tomorrow.

Absolutely no chance at all of me deferring! I've got this far and it'd take 2 broken legs to keep me from the start line. The man flu has pretty much cleared and I managed a steady 7 miler last Sunday without incident. Didn't want to push it. Saved some for Sunday.

It's all very real now. And will even more when I get my number tomorrow.

Saw some photos of their exhibition and they even have a gallery where you can pose with a stopwatch for the finishing line with your predicted time on it which looked good. 

The question is whether if you come up with the predicted time yourself or whether if it has been thought up by a judgemental as **** photographer. 

Archived