Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

If the asthma is aggregated by running outdoors at this time of year and it's severe I would recommend either indoor rowing or cycling or if you're not a member of a gym then do some circuits at home.

If it's your first time exercising for a while it's better to start off slow rather than go too hard too soon.

EDIT: That's an assumption that you haven't done it for a while, feel free to shut me up if it's not the case.

I've been running a fair bit lately in an attempt to get back to full fitness after an ACL injury last July. Plan to do Lough half in March.

I am a member of a gym and go regularly and am still fairly for despite my injury last year. Always cycle a lot on a weekly basis.

I think it's more likely Raj's prognosis. I need an asthma check up, a new inhaler and to probably start slower so I warm up better.

Going to attempt to run to Birstall from Rothleh tomorrow afternoon to watch the Rugby

So since the Leicester half marathon I have ran about 3 times, nearly dieing each time, it is amazing just how fast you can lose you fitness. I have also piled on the pounds over 4kg in fact over 2 months!

I have signed up for the silverstone half marathon in March and start an Intence 10 week program on Monday,

Going to see how I feel after the half and then consider doing the Sherwood full marathon in September,

A full matathon is my ultimate goal, I could barely run down the stairs this time last year!

I've been running a fair bit lately in an attempt to get back to full fitness after an ACL injury last July. Plan to do Lough half in March.

I am a member of a gym and go regularly and am still fairly for despite my injury last year. Always cycle a lot on a weekly basis.

I think it's more likely Raj's prognosis. I need an asthma check up, a new inhaler and to probably start slower so I warm up better.

Going to attempt to run to Birstall from Rothleh tomorrow afternoon to watch the Rugby

Yeah, I agree with Raj too, good luck to you anyway.

This morning I had physio on my knee at glenfield hospital (basically an hour long circuits class!) followed by a 10 mile cycle home followed by a 6 mile run at 8:54pm which is fairly speedy for me. I used to average 9:15 when I was marathon training.

Well chuffed

Thought i was fit Atleast fir my age but started that insanity workout dvd thing with Sean T...bloody hell !!!!

I did that before Christmas. If you stick to it and do the diet, you'll be amazed by the results of your last fit test.

One word of advice, get protein shake and have about 3 a day. Really makes a difference.

Nice work smuts. You're doing London marathon???

Yes mate. I entered on a whim expecting to get rejected and then got through for Cancer Research after the deferrals came back. 

I'm in the worst shape of my life (round) and trying to get myself to a stage of running 26 miles from a standing start with 5 months prep time. I've done some stupid shit in my life but this is well up there.

Training for a marathon is brutal. Good luck with it!!

I did 8.25 miles this morning, reasonably slow, but pleased with the distance.

The views are inspiring and keep me motivated.

05b66bcf3fe198be90f3ef34f99d6834.jpg

It's a lot harder running through a forzen Bradgate Park and Cropston Reservoir! Although I don't envy training in warm temperatures, attempted a run in Miami once and got sun blisters, I even struggled a little with marathon training in the UK's July/August.

It's a lot harder running through a forzen Bradgate Park and Cropston Reservoir! Although I don't envy training in warm temperatures, attempted a run in Miami once and got sun blisters, I even struggled a little with marathon training in the UK's July/August.

Bradgate is stunning in winter, but I've only leisurely strolled through!

When I was training for the Baltimore Marathon, I had to go to Bangladesh and Haiti immediately prior to the run. In Bangladesh I managed one 3 mile run, which ended with me taking a rickshaw back to the hotel due to the 100% humidity. I wasn't allowed to run outside the hotel in Haiti, so I went to the gym, which included a treadmill that couldn't keep a steady pace but thankfully there was air con!! I arrived back from Haiti at midnight before the Marathon. Got 5 hours sleep and still finished the marathon, albeit slowly. Not ideal prep.

Lesotho is reasonably warm now but not too bad, in the mornings it is about 16c at 7 rising quickly to 19c by 9am. I bet I look very funny in all my 'tech gear', but I need it! The issue here is the altitude, I am at 1,500m+, and the hills/mountains.

Bradgate is stunning in winter, but I've only leisurely strolled through!

When I was training for the Baltimore Marathon, I had to go to Bangladesh and Haiti immediately prior to the run. In Bangladesh I managed one 3 mile run, which ended with me taking a rickshaw back to the hotel due to the 100% humidity. I wasn't allowed to run outside the hotel in Haiti, so I went to the gym, which included a treadmill that couldn't keep a steady pace but thankfully there was air con!! I arrived back from Haiti at midnight before the Marathon. Got 5 hours sleep and still finished the marathon, albeit slowly. Not ideal prep.

Lesotho is reasonably warm now but not too bad, in the mornings it is about 16c at 7 rising quickly to 19c by 9am. I bet I look very funny in all my 'tech gear', but I need it! The issue here is the altitude, I am at 1,500m+, and the hills/mountains.

Yeah it's lovely to stroll through, running is another thing haha. I guess in terms of Leicestershire, i'm pretty lucky living nearby to Bradgate and it's surrounding areas, in terms of running, as it's sparcely populated and decent choice of terrain, climbs etc.

Christ that would have killed me off I think. I think Vegas is perhaps the highest humidity I've ever faced and I couldn't even begin to imagine what running through that weather would have been like, so hats off to you! I certainly couldn't manage anything like that, and i've done marathons/half marathons in recent times.

No idea how you manage that altitude either, a strong walking pace must have it's complications at times. It's no surprise that all the long distant runners comes from places like Kenya, they must feel like they're getting high when they touch down in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my race bib for the London Marathon today. 26.2 miles just got really really real

A great moment, a great event and a great day.

Good luck, you'll have no choice but to enjoy it.

Make sure you write your name in big thick letters in the front of your shirt, the personal support you'll get will help.

Not long found out I've got a place at the London Marathon this year and I'm yet to do any training for it as it was all a bit last minute. First time I'll ever have done anything like this as well. Best get training! Wish me luck haha.

Oh and I'm running for St John's Ambulance, if they happen to be close to anyone's heart here's my page www.justgiving.com/Michael-Gist (worth a try hey ;))

Archived