Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Running and stuff

Got my race bib for the London Marathon today. 26.2 miles just got really really real

Great feeling.

How's it going? Sounds like you're building up the distance nicely. Each time you do a long run start imagining what it will feel like as you get towards the end in London. Just keep saying to yourself this is me on the finishing stright in the Mall. I know is sounds corny but it will build up your self belief.

Not long found out I've got a place at the London Marathon this year and I'm yet to do any training for it as it was all a bit last minute. First time I'll ever have done anything like this as well. Best get training! Wish me luck haha.

Oh and I'm running for St John's Ambulance, if they happen to be close to anyone's heart here's my page www.justgiving.com/Michael-Gist (worth a try hey ;))

Good luck Mike but you need to get onto to the training asap. You need to get some miles into those legs unless you're already running a lot.

Great feeling.

How's it going? Sounds like you're building up the distance nicely. Each time you do a long run start imagining what it will feel like as you get towards the end in London. Just keep saying to yourself this is me on the finishing stright in the Mall. I know is sounds corny but it will build up your self belief.

It's going ok. Had to have a week off recently due to shin pain being an issue. I've gotten some ankle straps which are helping with that.

I've been running in the cold so today's run in the heat was a real challenge. I had to concede at mile 7 of the 10 I'd planned. Was a kick in the plums. Especially as the mid week 6 miler I did on Thursday was the best I've run.

It's going ok. Had to have a week off recently due to shin pain being an issue. I've gotten some ankle straps which are helping with that.

I've been running in the cold so today's run in the heat was a real challenge. I had to concede at mile 7 of the 10 I'd planned. Was a kick in the plums. Especially as the mid week 6 miler I did on Thursday was the best I've run.

Don't beat yourself up sometimes you have off days. I can remember puffing and struggling through six milers when the weekend before I'd done 15. Are you factoring in easy weeks every fourth week or so? It could just be a bit of fatigue.

I went out for five miles today and it was lovely in the warmth of the sun.

Don't beat yourself up sometimes you have off days. I can remember puffing and struggling through six milers when the weekend before I'd done 15. Are you factoring in easy weeks every fourth week or so? It could just be a bit of fatigue.

I went out for five miles today and it was lovely in the warmth of the sun.

I can't say I've really done anything that wouldn't constitute as an easy run so far. Furthest I've got is 10 miles. The schedule I'm on does factor the rest days in and I'm due to tail off about 3 weeks before the race.

I can't say I've really done anything that wouldn't constitute as an easy run so far. Furthest I've got is 10 miles. The schedule I'm on does factor the rest days in and I'm due to tail off about 3 weeks before the race.

Whenever I was training for a marathon all my programmes included a rest/easy week about every fourth week. What it involved would be to still go out the same amount of times just to drop the intensity and milage for a week, slow or steady runs instead of threshold, drop a few miles off your long run at the end of the week. The idea being that it allows your body to slightly rest, helps it to repair any slight strains or tears and allows your body to respond to the hard training you have been putting it through. However if your following a programme that is working for you, stick with it.

I always felt refreshed and ready to push on after an easy week. One thing that is vital however is the taper, don't get tempted to squeeze in another long run. I really enjoyed the taper, the weather was usually good and I felt fantastic bouncing along in the sun for ten miles, five ect ect. imagining the crowds, the atmosphere and the finish line.

The easy 4th week is a common training principle in progressive programming called Step Loading which allows you to "actively recover" from the general stresses of the training programme. Is basic terms it would look like this:

Week 1: Effort level 1

Week 2: Effort level 2

Week 3: Effort level 3

Week 4: Effort level 1

Week 5: Effort level 2

Week 6: Effort level 3

Week 7: Effort level 4

Week 8: Effort level 2

Week 9: Effort level 3

Week 10: Effort level 4

Week 11: Effort level 5

Week 12: Effort level 3

Etc.....

Can be applied to any type of training, for any sort of goal be it weight loss, body building or if your training for the Tiddlywinks World Championships. Following that sot of patter can help many people, and certainly most laymen on the street.

This sounds ok.

How many weeks to go?

Good luck Mike but you need to get onto to the training asap. You need to get some miles into those legs unless you're already running a lot.

Thank you :thumbup:  I've had a slight problem with my foot this week, so unfortunately having to rest at the moment. Did my first long-ish run last Sunday (9.2 miles in 1 hour 22 mins) which I was quite pleased with. I'm feeling confident, yet realistic. Just frustrating with my foot at the minute, but it's my own fault and I've learnt not to make the same mistake again.

Tbh mate I tightened them for yesterday's run because it was happening before and I thought they were perhaps too loose

It's likely to be the last couple of eyelets on the top of the shoe that is stopping circulation.

Can anyone recommend a heart rate monitor? One that can easily be used either on a treadmill or outdoor run?

Do you want a device that logs and uploads your heart rate to the Internet or just one that you can see your heart rate on as you run?

If it's the latter I have a Nike triax c6 that I've been trying to give away for ages.

I don't know if it's the right thing to do but I tie my laces/shoes to a point where I can slip them on and off but not too loose that my feet slide around in them.

Are your shoes big enough? It's best to allow a half size/full size bigger than normal to allow for your feet to expand. I made the mistake of buying a nice snug pair when I started running, once I had started to cover a few miles (about 6) they used to cripple me and feel so tight, my toes would be curled up as I hobbled to the end of my run.

Do you want a device that logs and uploads your heart rate to the Internet or just one that you can see your heart rate on as you run?

If it's the latter I have a Nike triax c6 that I've been trying to give away for ages.

It's the latter, how much you looking for it mate?

Archived