Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I think some people just use first names because they’re easier to spell and it’s quicker to type. 
With Kasper, Youri, etc it’s pretty obvious who they’re referring to. 
Not sure that makes people over familiar or possessive tbh

I think in some cases you're right Izzy, but certainly not when it comes to the PM. Referring to him as Boris, which I know I do at times, paints him as some kind of jovial character, everyones mate, and not the leader of the country. Every other PM before his is referred to by their last name, he shouldn't be any different.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think in some cases you're right Izzy, but certainly not when it comes to the PM. Referring to him as Boris, which I know I do at times, paints him as some kind of jovial character, everyones mate, and my the leader of the country. Every other PM before his is referred to by their last name, he shouldn't be any different.

I’m not so sure 

Most people know he’s a johnson regardless 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I think in some cases you're right Izzy, but certainly not when it comes to the PM. Referring to him as Boris, which I know I do at times, paints him as some kind of jovial character, everyones mate, and not the leader of the country. Every other PM before his is referred to by their last name, he shouldn't be any different.

Nah, we’ve had Tony, call me Dave and Maggie. It irks you because you hate Boris.

• Like 3

Just now, Strokes said:

Nah, we’ve had Tony, call me Dave and Maggie. It irks you because you hate Boris.

Never heard Blair called Tony he's called Blair I assume you meant him as Eden went by Anthony). Call meme Dave was a pisstake and he's always called Cameron, and people said Maggie Thatcher but never refer to her just as Maggie or rarely anyway. Boris Johnson is almost exclusively referred to by his first name. Most print media just call him Boris, most headlines call him that. Most posts here call him that. Ever seen anyone call Tony Blair just Tony in a newspaper headline or on here? Nope didn't think so. Happens with very famous people who at the time are the only prominent person with that name. Kylie Minogue for example. Adele. Rio Ferdinand. A lot of Leicester fans would call Izzet, Muzzy. Theres Kasper Schmeichel too, and Youri Tielemans as mentioned earlier. It's odd but I don't mind it in those cases, but when it's the PM it shouldn't be done.

It's Boris Johnson, or Johnson, not Boris.

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I wonder if Corbyn was PM if we'd all be calling him Jezza?

No, he's be called Corbyn.

He does get Jezza in the press occasionally, but its the tone isn't it. Its never in a way to make him sound like a mate down the pub, it's always used as a way of demeaning him. Whereas the Boris name is used to make him seem more lighthearted and friendlier.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Never heard Blair called Tony he's called Blair I assume you meant him as Eden went by Anthony). Call meme Dave was a pisstake and he's always called Cameron, and people said Maggie Thatcher but never refer to her just as Maggie or rarely anyway. Boris Johnson is almost exclusively referred to by his first name. Most print media just call him Boris, most headlines call him that. Most posts here call him that. Ever seen anyone call Tony Blair just Tony in a newspaper headline or on here? Nope didn't think so. Happens with very famous people who at the time are the only prominent person with that name. Kylie Minogue for example. Adele. Rio Ferdinand. A lot of Leicester fans would call Izzet, Muzzy. Theres Kasper Schmeichel too, and Youri Tielemans as mentioned earlier. It's odd but I don't mind it in those cases, but when it's the PM it shouldn't be done.

Maggie was definitely called Maggie, in both verbal and print, the other two I’ll give you I’ve only heard them called Dave and Tony by regular people.

But also TB and DC and obviously as @Izzypointed out there was Jezza.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Maggie Thatcher was routinely referred to as 'Maggie'. God blimey,  even Churchill was almost exclusively called 'Winston' - are you saying that implied disrespect?  Hardly. 

I'm old enough to remember Wilson's time at No.10 and he was nearly always called 'Harold".

Just don't get what point you're trying to make to be honest. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Maggie was definitely called Maggie, in both verbal and print, the other two I’ll give you I’ve only heard them called Dave and Tony by regular people.

It's mainly Corbyn for him though let's be honest, but no Jezza shouldn't be used either. But if you got back to the election thread on here for example, most the time it'll be Boris and Cobyn, not Boris and Jezza or Johnson and Corbyn.

The right wing press like the mail use Boris to make him seem friendly, as a happy go lucky character, your mate Boris. It obvious they do it. They would use Jezza to ridicule Corbyn. Tell me which left wing press uses Jezza or Boris.

By the way anyone called Blair and Cameron, Tony and Dave verbally are weird. I know far too many people in real life with those names to start using them exclusively for the PM and people still know who I was on about 😂

23 minutes ago, Strokes said:

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It was split firmly along the lines of whether you liked her or not.

It was Maggie to the acolytes, that woman to everyone else.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

It's mainly Corbyn for him though let's be honest, but no Jezza shouldn't be used either. But if you got back to the election thread on here for example, most the time it'll be Boris and Cobyn, not Boris and Jezza or Johnson and Corbyn.

The right wing press like the mail use Boris to make him seem friendly, as a happy go lucky character, your mate Boris. It obvious they do it. They would use Jezza to ridicule Corbyn. Tell me which left wing press uses Jezza or Boris.

By the way anyone called Blair and Cameron, Tony and Dave verbally are weird. I know far too many people in real life with those names to start using them exclusively for the PM and people still know who I was on about 😂

He was Boris in the press long before becoming PM though.

1 minute ago, Stoopid said:

Maggie Thatcher was routinely referred to as 'Maggie'. God blimey,  even Churchill was almost exclusively called 'Winston' - are you saying that implied disrespect?  Hardly. 

I'm old enough to remember Wilson's time at No.10 and he was nearly always called 'Harold".

Just don't get what point you're trying to make to be honest. 

Boris gets called that to make him seems nicer, friendly and like he's your mate. I've said it about 4 times now ffs.

Just now, Strokes said:

He was Boris in the press long before becoming PM though.

I think that's confirmation that it was a cultivated image on his part, which the media played along with and facilitated.

- Maggie was widely used, I grant you, but only after she became the dominant figure in politics. She was "Margaret Thatcher" or "Mrs. Thatcher" or "Thatcher" initially, as I recall

- I never heard Blair referred to as "Tony", only as "Tony Blair" or "Blair"

- "Call me Dave" was a joke at his expense & he was referred to as "Cameron" or "David Cameron"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

He was more of a character than a politician then really. He wasn’t anything serious until he got the London Mayors gig.

At which point the Boris thing should have stopped. It might be where it came from actually the makes it annoyed by it. When it's Maggie, it's just shorthand for her, it wasn't trying to make a character from her. This Boris thing has carried on from when he was pissing about presenting HIGNFY and stuff like that and he was more of a media personalty than politician, and now it's still used in the same way so he's still like a media personality rather than the leader of the country.

Edited by Facecloth

17 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Little known fact but Thatcher was originally named Malcolm 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Please stop referring to footballers/famous people/prime ministers by their effing first name You don't know them, you're not their mate. Stop being so confidently over-familiar and possessive. Someone who shall remain nameless has just referred to 'Bruno' in the main part of the forum - it's as bad as calling the Manchester clubs City & United, and even that is slightly more forgiveable.

Back to the footballer issue. Fernandes is fairly common as a surname Bruno isn't as a first name. It's the same as Brazilians going by Fred or Oscar. You use whatever distinguishes them the most. (Same can be applied to Boris Johnson). Then there's the issue of names that are long. Kasper is a lot easier to type than Schmeichel and has the same effect. It's like TAA or AWB it's just for ease more than anything and everyone still knows what you mean.