Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

15 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

All these scientists and academic people who speak as though "data" is a plural word ... saying things like "these data" instead of "this data".

I realise that "data" is originally derived as the Latin plural term of singular "datum".   But many words change their meaning over time and "data" is used in a different context to its original theoretical meaning.  Only pretentious people still use word "datum" to mean a single piece of data.

In almost all areas of commerce, business and life the word "data" is an invariable term.  It is used in the same way as "information".

You can have one piece of information, or 100 peices of information.   It's still information.   It's not informations.   It's used as a collective singlular term.  You say "this information ..." not "these information ...".

Data is the same type of word.   You can have one bit of data, or 100 bits of data.   It's just data.  So you would say "this data ..." not "these data ...". 

It just sounds so wrong!

image-asset.jpeg?format=2500w

It may have been raised before, it may have even been me....

the whole “ever obliging Leicester city” thing and not just the thread in the main forum. Some people take it so seriously. Yes we are bad from set pieces and yes we let Benteke score for Palace when he was on a 20 game goalless streak but a defender scoring for Brentford against us in the cup is hardly obliging. At some stage he will bag at a corner and it just happened to be against us.

I think some people take these random stats that crop up as bad as a loss.

Noticing strange coincidences is one thing, getting wound up is another. Odd behaviour 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

It may have been raised before, it may have even been me....

the whole “ever obliging Leicester city” thing and not just the thread in the main forum. Some people take it so seriously. Yes we are bad from set pieces and yes we let Benteke score for Palace when he was on a 20 game goalless streak but a defender scoring for Brentford against us in the cup is hardly obliging. At some stage he will bag at a corner and it just happened to be against us.

I think some people take these random stats that crop up as bad as a loss.

Noticing strange coincidences is one thing, getting wound up is another. Odd behaviour 

It's the "in game/post match" forums mate. Many flakes and reactionaries. Don't get wound up. Read the posts of those who don't knee jerk.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

"Just circling back on the below with regards to the potential interview. Have you had a moment to scope out?"

43 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Maybe its train guy

Ha.

I'm actually tempted to ask them if "circling back" and "scope out" is some kind of new management-speak gobbledygook bollocks.

4 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Haha, tell them to suck your gobbledygoo bollocks cheese.

My reply:

Dear [name]

Circling back? Scope out? Is this some new 2021 management-speak gobbledygook bollocks?
I assume you're asking if we can maybe arrange an interview soon - if so, does [name] have any availability next week?

Appreciate you reaching out and touching base on this, maybe you can run it up the flagpole with [name], we can drill down a date and time, I'll take some idea showers and do some blue sky thinking with regards to questions and then we can pick it up and run with it.

Look forward to hearing from you - and I trust you'll take my lighthearted reply in the very gentle, humorous spirit which it is clearly intended.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

My reply:

Dear [name]

Circling back? Scope out? Is this some new 2021 management-speak gobbledygook bollocks?
I assume you're asking if we can maybe arrange an interview soon - if so, does [name] have any availability next week?

Appreciate you reaching out and touching base on this, maybe you can run it up the flagpole with [name], we can drill down a date and time, I'll take some idea showers and do some blue sky thinking with regards to questions and then we can pick it up and run with it.

Look forward to hearing from you - and I trust you'll take my lighthearted reply in the very gentle, humorous spirit which it is clearly intended.

Lol nice one

On 23/01/2021 at 16:35, Arkie Bennett said:

He presents minor facts and calls them "factoids". A factoid is actually a mistaken assumption that is repeated so often it is taken to be true.

Well that's an interesting little factum you've provided, thanks

On 25/01/2021 at 21:52, worth_the_wait said:

All these scientists and academic people who speak as though "data" is a plural word ... saying things like "these data" instead of "this data".

I realise that "data" is originally derived as the Latin plural term of singular "datum".   But many words change their meaning over time and "data" is used in a different context to its original theoretical meaning.  Only pretentious people still use word "datum" to mean a single piece of data.

In almost all areas of commerce, business and life the word "data" is an invariable term.  It is used in the same way as "information".

You can have one piece of information, or 100 peices of information.   It's still information.   It's not informations.   It's used as a collective singlular term.  You say "this information ..." not "these information ...".

Data is the same type of word.   You can have one bit of data, or 100 bits of data.   It's just data.  So you would say "this data ..." not "these data ...". 

It just sounds so wrong!

Much like... my grrr when people say... There are a "myriad of" reasons why Vardy is the GOAT

Myriad means "a great number of" 

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

My reply:

Dear [name]

I hope you got all of you ducks in a row before you sent this email?

Seriously, though the worst I have had is a person I work with saying they didn’t have enough bandwidth to complete a task - the task didn’t require the use of the internet or any computer.

After much circling back I think he meant he couldn’t be arsed to do it.

The BBC have clearly got some young trendy producer in to well and truly fvck up the Antiques Roadshow and Repair Shop.

First 5 minutes of the Roadshow is a kind of reverse recap of everything that's going to happen in the show. And the Repair shop is now a version of 'Tell them what's going to happen/show them/tell them what's happened' kind of thing.

:mad:     

Presenters, commentators  and pundits who seem to think they have to say the full name of a football team as though that puts the point across more firmly.

For example

"Thats an important goal for Leicester City Football Club"

"This signing is a statement of intent for Aston Villa Football Club"

There's no need to say football club!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Presenters, commentators  and pundits who seem to think they have to say the full name of a football team as though that puts the point across more firmly.

For example

I’m sure Matterface is a big offender of this carry-on

22 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

For example

Darren Fletcher does this and it's so annoying. Especially in his commentary when he full names every player for no reason. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Facecloth said:

For example

Paul Merson says "football match" a lot. "They have to win this football match", "a massive football match".

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Corky said:

Paul Merson says "football match" a lot. "They have to win this football match", "a massive football match".

Yes! Annoys me too. 

Same with golf pundits. Constantly calling good hits a great "golf shot". Well yeah I didn't think it was snooker I was watching.