Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

The weather forecasters and media attaching infantile names to cold weather in winter.

"Beast from the East"

"Beast from the East 2"  (not even very original).

And giving names to every storm.    It's just a storm ... a low pressure system, cold/warm/occluded fronts, a bit windy, some heavy rain.    You don't need to give it a bloody name!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

The weather forecasters and media attaching infantile names to cold weather in winter.

"Beast from the East"

And giving names to every storm.    It's just a storm ... a low pressure system, cold/warm/occluded fronts, a bit windy, some heavy rain.    You don't need to give it a bloody name!

The last part isn't a media thing, it's an official decision by the Met Office or whoever. They give them human names to help differentiate between storms and understand the impact they've made. They've been doing it in the Americas for years and we took it on a few years back.

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The last part isn't a media thing, it's an official decision by the Met Office or whoever. They give them human names to help differentiate between storms and understand the impact they've made. They've been doing it in the Americas for years and we took it on a few years back.

Another bloody Americanism!   :)

I liked our old way of doing it ... the storm of Sep 5th 1987, or whenever it was.   Something nice and boring and scientific.

There is another good reason for not giving them personal names, 

Association.  

If a tile falls off a roof and causes a serious injury or death, do you really want it forever to be associated with a person's name?

3 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Another bloody Americanism!   :)

I liked our old way of doing it ... the storm of Sep 5th 1987, or whenever it was.   Something nice and boring and scientific.

There is another good reason for not giving them personal names, 

Association.  

If a tile falls off a roof and causes a serious injury or death, do you really want it forever to be associated with a person's name?

I believe us Australians can actually lay claim to this one, well thinking about it, it was actually the British who had arrived in Queensland and began naming cyclones. 
Initially I believe they were named after letters of the Greek alphabet and then moved on to politicians who had annoyed the guy whose name escapes me who named them. This was back in the 1800s.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I believe us Australians can actually lay claim to this one, well thinking about it, it was actually the British who had arrived in Queensland and began naming cyclones. 
Initially I believe they were named after letters of the Greek alphabet and then moved on to politicians who had annoyed the guy whose name escapes me who named them. This was back in the 1800s.

Thinking about it ... I suppose I wouldn't mind them naming horrible shitty storms something like "Richarlison" or "Fernandes"  !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

"Beast from the East"

More Americanism of society. 

"The weather network " over here in Canada over kills things. We will have a typical snowfall of say 2cm which is fuk all and yet their app is in full blown winter warning mode. Storm watch!  

It's all bollocks designed to keep us going to their app or tele stations. 

41 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Maybe it came a bit early for him. He made a few mistakes as leader (not least his changes to leadership election procedures that allowed Corbyn to win!).

I also reckon that his youthful appearance and well-spoken accent worked against him. Maybe voters (wrongly) saw him as like an overgrown student.

Combine that with stuff like the bacon sandwich photo and too few people took him seriously as potentially a good PM (though the collapse of the Lib Dems in 2015 didn't help).

I like Miliband. He's on top of policy, articulate, a pretty safe pair of hands (few gaffes) but exudes a bit more passion than Starmer.

It says something good about Starmer, though, that he recalled Miliband to a prominent shadow cabinet position and allows the party to put him on TV a lot.

A leader should have sufficient self-confidence to put top colleagues (& potential rivals/alternative influences, by definition) in top positions.

"Good old Boris" got rid of anyone at all capable who expressed opinions different from his and filled his cabinet with incompetent fellow-thinkers and yes-people. George Eustice is about the only one who impresses me as being "up to the job".

Nah, the general public have only become more susceptible to soundbite politics, if him eating a sandwich could tank his chances last time around it would probably start a civil war now.

• Haha 2

Colleagues who mention in passing about COVID rule breaking. E.g. the receptionist in my office just mentioned that she drove 15 miles to see her sister (indoors) because she 'hadn't seen her since my (her) birthday' (in late December). 

Not to mention my boss and three other colleagues who all tested positive just as the office shut for Christmas and didn't bother to tell anybody else in the office, despite knowing that we'd all likely be visiting relatives on Christmas day. 

I also feel like I can't pull anybody up on it without coming across as the snitch at school/I'm the king of social awkwardness when it comes to things like that. 

On 07/02/2021 at 00:09, HighPeakFox said:

Please stop referring to footballers/famous people/prime ministers by their effing first name You don't know them, you're not their mate. Stop being so confidently over-familiar and possessive. Someone who shall remain nameless has just referred to 'Bruno' in the main part of the forum - it's as bad as calling the Manchester clubs City & United, and even that is slightly more forgiveable.

I agree with High

On 07/02/2021 at 02:03, Buce said:

It was split firmly along the lines of whether you liked her or not.

It was Maggie to the acolytes, that woman to everyone else.

Im pretty sure she only ever referred to as.... that c*&t

On 06/02/2021 at 17:37, Strokes said:

Nah, we’ve had Tony, call me Dave and Maggie. It irks you because you hate Boris.

It does irk me because when he was going up against Jeremy Corbyn the media referred to Jeremy as "Corbyn" and Boris as "Boris".

I call him his full name or just his last name because just using a first name does make him sound joyful and a friend, which he isn't.

• Like 1

When you’ve known someone for 20 years who’s always been an arrogant cock with an inflated ego who’s always going on about his latest venture and how it’s going to make millions blah blah blah.

Then he gets involved in some new app and has just made himself £10m.

Yes I’m shallow and yes I’m jealous.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Izzy said:

When you’ve known someone for 20 years who’s always been an arrogant cock with an inflated ego who’s always going on about his latest venture and how it’s going to make millions blah blah blah.

Then he gets involved in some new app and has just made himself £10m.

Yes I’m shallow and yes I’m jealous.

Find yourself a Mickey Bricks-style character, tell them about him and bring him down a peg or two, then. :D

• Like 1

On 06/02/2021 at 16:09, HighPeakFox said:

Please stop referring to footballers/famous people/prime ministers by their effing first name You don't know them, you're not their mate. Stop being so confidently over-familiar and possessive. Someone who shall remain nameless has just referred to 'Bruno' in the main part of the forum - it's as bad as calling the Manchester clubs City & United, and even that is slightly more forgiveable.

No problem John :ph34r:

On 06/02/2021 at 16:09, HighPeakFox said:

The nameless one might have been referring to  our Frank, in which case he wasn’t using his first name.