Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

People wandering about in supermarkets as if it's the first time they've ever set foot in such a place. 

Make a list, get your stuff, go home. Oh, and stop having social chats in the aisles with the neighbours you never normally speak to.

Sorry Parafox, but supermarkets are the only place I can pull any birds these days.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He talks over every ending of every song, it pisses me off.

Also, on the same subject, on Friday's he asks people to send in their "puns". They are not puns, they are literally just people taking the 'g' off of the end of words.

He starts banging on about this "serious jockin' shite on a Wednesday. Really gets on my nerves.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 19:10, Parafox said:

He sings over songs that he's playing as if he can match the singer. He constantly promotes people to call, text, tweet or email about whatever shit people are doing. It's monotonously repetitive. Steve Wright is one of the worst presenters on R2. So full of his own self esteem it's embarrassing. I used to like him 15 years ago with the "characters" he used in his radio show. Now he's a shite parody of himself.

Ah, you've already answered the question I asked this morning.

I'm at a loss as to why he's allowed to do this.

I thought Steve Wright was GREAT when I was about 12. His show is so crazy and everyone's having so much fun. Then I realised that it wasn't crazy but KRAZY and it all feels a bit forced then.

In fairness though, I think he pretty much invented the having a load of sycophants in the studio with you format, later exploited successfully by Chris Evans, Zoe Ball, Chris Moyles etc, none of whom made it any easier to listen to

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
"Chris Modules"
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

He's been doing it for 40 (!) years, you'd have thought someone would've had a word by now if they were going to.

Does he still sometimes sing along with the tracks? That was even worse

He does, I don't listen to his show that much but prefer him to Grimshaw on Radio One or the bland Greatest Hits lot. The music selection is decent, just wish he'd allow the song to finish.

To be fair, it isn't just him, it's occurs on many stations with loads of presenters. Everyone who knows Insomnia knows the last bit doesn't have lyrics yet is great to listen to.

4 hours ago, Corky said:

He does, I don't listen to his show that much but prefer him to Grimshaw on Radio One or the bland Greatest Hits lot. The music selection is decent, just wish he'd allow the song to finish.

To be fair, it isn't just him, it's occurs on many stations with loads of presenters. Everyone who knows Insomnia knows the last bit doesn't have lyrics yet is great to listen to.

You’re totally right. Verity Sharp yapped all of the end of Toccata and Fugue in D minor on Radio 3 the other night. I was fuming. 

Feeling a bit lazy tonight, I order a McDelivery. My flat can be a pain to find, but its ground floor, so I stood at the window. Pops up on the tracker as delivered, but I've seen nobody. I can forgive the delivery guy a little for getting lost, but some **** has accepted my food. willy pullers 

2 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Whenever Southampton are on TV they mention the 9-0. It’s boring now. 

Last week the commentators in our match against them mentioned how much that game is spoken about and the need to move on. 

Just after discussing it for about a minute.

On 22/01/2021 at 18:33, Fox92 said:

Also, on the same subject, on Friday's he asks people to send in their "puns". They are not puns, they are literally just people taking the 'g' off of the end of words.

Yeah.  

What is so clever about people saying jockin', runnin', jokin', shootin', fishin', laughin', walkin', talkin', singin', ?

Boring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corky said:

Last week the commentators in our match against them mentioned how much that game is spoken about and the need to move on. 

Just after discussing it for about a minute.

My wife bought me a tshirt commemorating the 9-0 and listing the scorers. 

Yeah... maybe wear it the week after smashing your local rivals but its too tin pot for my liking.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2021 at 16:34, Corky said:

Steve Wright talking over the end of songs. The final bit of Insomnia by Faithless about to begin (that 50-odd seconds of music after the final lyrics) and he's interrupting it.

Let the whole song play out, man.

That used to piss me off back in the 80's/90's when I tried to seamlessly tape (record to the younger ones) my favourite tracks off the radio 😂 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Yeah.  

What is so clever about people saying jockin', runnin', jokin', shootin', fishin', laughin', walkin', talkin', singin', ?

Boring.

These are not puns! Really annoys me. Taking the 'g' off the end of things isn't a pun!

On 23/01/2021 at 12:27, Parafox said:

People wandering about in supermarkets as if it's the first time they've ever set foot in such a place. 

Make a list, get your stuff, go home. Oh, and stop having social chats in the aisles with the neighbours you never normally speak to.

The big fat blokes who lean on their trolleys blocking half the aisle whilst their wife looks around confused for products. That winds me up outside of a pandemic tbf. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Benguin said:

The big fat blokes who lean on their trolleys blocking half the aisle whilst their wife looks around confused for products. That winds me up outside of a pandemic tbf. 

**** you man, its my glands

6 hours ago, Benguin said:

Surely they know where the crisps, pies, pizzas, chocolate and full fat coke is?

The BBC... And their glass backs.... Supporting any extreme at the moment to ensure their reputation with impressionable morons is not tarnished.

And

Food shaming from companies... It is irresponsible and shameful, particularly if they are seen by someone suffering or recovering from an eating disorder. 

I think I am just turning into a miserable old bastard. 

All these scientists and academic people who speak as though "data" is a plural word ... saying things like "these data" instead of "this data".

I realise that "data" is originally derived as the Latin plural term of singular "datum".   But many words change their meaning over time and "data" is used in a different context to its original theoretical meaning.  Only pretentious people still use word "datum" to mean a single piece of data.

In almost all areas of commerce, business and life the word "data" is an invariable term.  It is used in the same way as "information".

You can have one piece of information, or 100 peices of information.   It's still information.   It's not informations.   It's used as a collective singlular term.  You say "this information ..." not "these information ...".

Data is the same type of word.   You can have one bit of data, or 100 bits of data.   It's just data.  So you would say "this data ..." not "these data ...". 

It just sounds so wrong!

2 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

All these scientists and academic people who speak as though "data" is a plural word ... saying things like "these data" instead of "this data".

I realise that "data" is originally derived as the Latin plural term of singular "datum".   But many words change their meaning over time and "data" is used in a different context to its original theoretical meaning.  Only pretentious people still use word "datum" to mean a single piece of data.

In almost all areas of commerce, business and life the word "data" is an invariable term.  It is used in the same way as "information".

You can have one piece of information, or 100 peices of information.   It's still information.   It's not informations.   It's used as a collective singlular term.  You say "this information ..." not "these information ...".

Data is the same type of word.   You can have one bit of data, or 100 bits of data.   It's just data.  So you would say "this data ..." not "these data ...". 

It just sounds so wrong!

Data's

Datalore (episode) | Memory Alpha | Fandom

4 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

It just sounds so wrong!

If you look up "data" on wikipedia the very first line is:

Data are characteristics or information, usually numerical, that are collected through observation.[1] In a more technical sense, data are a set of values of qualitative or quantitative variables about one or more persons or objects, while a datum (singular of data) is a single value of a single variable.[2]

As much as I agree it sounds odd to the untrained ear you don't really have a leg to stand on here, it just boils down to colloquial vs academic usage.  See also: Theory; literally.