Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Just watching Match of the Day, they showed a trailer for LGBT+ history month.

When did this become a thing???

Seriously, what else?

I have absolutely nothing against the LGBT community, but why is there a history month for this?

Black history month was made a big deal out of this year in this country. Why? It's another horrible Americanism that this country tries to grasp for no reason whatsoever. 

In my opinion, things like this make an absolute mockery of the progress we've made as a society to treat other people as equals.

I don't care about your colour, religion, sexuality or anything else, you're a person and will be treated as such by myself and should be by everyone.

The BBC and other organisations forcing this crap on us are actually doing the opposite of what they're trying to achieve and it's singling out groups of people.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Seriously, what else?

I have absolutely nothing against the LGBT community, but why is there a history month for this?

Black history month was made a big deal out of this year in this country. Why? It's another horrible Americanism that this country tries to grasp for no reason whatsoever. 

In my opinion, things like this make an absolute mockery of the progress we've made as a society to treat other people as equals.

I don't care about your colour, religion, sexuality or anything else, you're a person and will be treated as such by myself and should be by everyone.

The BBC and other organisations forcing this crap on us are actually doing the opposite of what they're trying to achieve and it's singling out groups of people.

Agreed. Same principles apply for Pride. Be gay that’s fair enough, doesn’t really come into my thought progress when speaking to someone if they like women or not. Might set up an event boasting about how much I like tits. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ian Nacho said:

Agreed. Same principles apply for Pride. Be gay that’s fair enough, doesn’t really come into my thought progress when speaking to someone if they like women or not. Might set up an event boasting about how much I like tits. 

Me too. I'm that keen on them I've started growing my own lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

You must be very fragile to see a trailer for something and conclude that it's being 'forced' on you.

I just know that I'll see it and hear about it every day for the next month. 

It grinds my gears, which is why I've posted it in this thread.

You must be fragile to take offence to it in this thread lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Me too, that’s why I spend so much time on FoxesTalk.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

There is still widespread discrimination against people due to their skin colour and sexuality etc.

Anything that highlights issues to try and stop the discrimination is fine by me.

I don't understand why people have issues with it.

Nobody is forcing it on anyone. The telly has an off switch.

The BBC forces EastEnders on us several times a week. I avoid it and therefore don't get offended.

I genuinely think these things have a detrimental effect.

Completely agree that there are still horrendous crimes of discrimination against people for their sexuality and skin colour and we need to do more to eradicate that.

But as I said in my original post, they're just Americanisms, that aren't just creeping into our country, they're taking over.

One thing I know for certain is that we need less of American culture in our society. Whilst discrimination is still a cancer on our lives this side of the Atlantic, we definitely don't want to be like people in the USA.

Edited by tom27111

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Seriously, what else?

I can see where you're coming from, but it's also pretty damn clear that not drawing attention to it and attempting to go the "everyone is just human" route, as true as it is. just lets the bigots do as they like too.

To be honest I don't really know what the solution is and I'm not sure anyone does, but I will say that it wasn't a long time ago that bananas were thrown onto football pitches (and look at the abuse that Rashford copped only last night) and LGBT folks, if arrested, had the option of prison or chemical castration.

It should go without saying that anything that prevents a backslide to that (and there are those out there who want that) should be done.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I can see where you're coming from, but it's also pretty damn clear that not drawing attention to it and attempting to go the "everyone is just human" route, as true as it is. just lets the bigots do as they like too.

To be honest I don't really know what the solution is and I'm not sure anyone does, but I will say that it wasn't a long time ago that bananas were thrown onto football pitches (and look at the abuse that Rashford copped only last night) and LGBT folks, if arrested, had the option of prison or chemical castration.

It should go without saying that anything that prevents a backslide to that (and there are those out there who want that) should be done.

Well said. I maybe don't put things across as eloquently as I'd like.

Something needs doing, there's no doubt about that :thumbup:

• Like 1

Villa fans and their incessant 'woe is me' attitude towards luck.

I keep seeing on social media from their fans, "we never get any luck", "we're always hard done by" for various things, most notably the Man City offside the other week - which I don't agree with that goal but that's another discussion, I assume Villa got lucky last night :dunno: whether they did or not the first thing I read is, "It's about time we got some luck".

The point i'm coming to is, Villa lucked out last season, they shouldn't even be in the Premier League, they would have been relegated, how they can be all woe is me after that I do not know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Completely agree that there are still horrendous crimes of discrimination against people for their sexuality and skin colour and we need to do more to eradicate that.

So we need to do more to eradicate it but raising awareness of it during a very popular program isn't the way to go? 

Just out of interest, what would be your way of doing more? 

When cumulative hours is used in stats in football as opposed to matches. Sometimes its appropriate but in most cases its misleading. 

For example, if a player scores in the 15th minute of match 1, doesnt score in matches 2-5 and scores in the 80th minute of match 6, it can either be reported as the player going 8 hours without scoring or, more accurately, not scoring in 4 matches. The former sounds a lot more dramatic than the latter.

On 31/01/2021 at 08:18, Nalis said:

When cumulative hours is used in stats in football as opposed to matches. Sometimes its appropriate but in most cases its misleading. 

For example, if a player scores in the 15th minute of match 1, doesnt score in matches 2-5 and scores in the 80th minute of match 6, it can either be reported as the player going 8 hours without scoring or, more accurately, not scoring in 4 matches. The former sounds a lot more dramatic than the latter.

I think your last sentence sums up very well why they do it. I agree though, each game is its own thing, do it as goals per game. 

It gmg when sports columns don't distinguish between men's and women's football. I have no problem with women's football, but I have no interest in it either. When I see a headline referencing a particular team, I don't want to click on it only to find that it's the women's team it refers to.

"Google Music is no longer available"  If you dont transfer your stuff SOON.. it will be gone.

That's anything you've purchased on google play music... GONE if you dont do it quick.

Who are the pirates?

google play music shutdown androidpolice1 google_play_music_shutdown_androidpolice

Also.. read this.. some stuff might disappear entirely..

https://www.theverge.com/21254766/google-play-how-to-transfer-music-youtube-playlists-uploads-library

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

As much as it might boil our piss when some absolute salad, to borrow a Flairism, like Danny Murphy warbles on on MOTD that James Maddison needs to sign for some muck like Tottenham to truly reach his potential, the media "selling" our players is nothing compared to the pure contempt they treat anyone playing for a foreign club. 

It's just straight up delusional nonsense, like for years every transfer window Bale was coming back to England to play for Manchester United. Marco Reus and Mats Hummels at the peak of their powers were destined for the Premier League, Kylian Mbappe is apparently destined for Anfield. 

I get that I'm living in England and the football press are obviously going to talk more about English teams but it's just the absolute arrogance of how it's framed that does me. Like there's no other possibilities for any top player other than the Premier League. 

What's wrong with just writing a cool, informative piece on a player playing abroad that people might not be watching as much as someone playing in this country and leave it at that? Why can't you look to expand people's horizons a bit without having to frame it as pandering to tHe BiG six. 

Screenshot_20210204-113607_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

On 31/01/2021 at 00:00, tom27111 said:

I just know that I'll see it and hear about it every day for the next month. 

It grinds my gears, which is why I've posted it in this thread.

You must be fragile to take offence to it in this thread lol

You could be persecuting for being gay in the last 50 years, or enslaved for the colour of your skin in the last 100 years. Yes society has made progress but its actually important to remember that and celebrate it - maybe if you watched some of it you'd learn something.