Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Yeovil Post Match Thread

ive come across comments elsewhere saying we werent very good and they hadd most of the ball second half especially.

1) is it not a sign of a good team if you can win and not play your best

and 2) so, does knocking it around your back 4 then hoofing it forward to your new 5"5 striker win matches? not today it didnt!

well done boys! brilliant win, we are going up say we are going up!

davis was certainly my man of the match excellent all round and 2 superb runs one of whixh created the 1st goal, hobbs morrison and gilbert all had decent games aswell, oakly and dyer were a bit quiet as was matty but all in all a decent performance on a crap pitch,very proffesional.

Professional performance in trying conditions. How anyone could argue that Yeovil were hard done by is in Fantasy Land.

First Howard was denied an excellent goalscoring chance with an offside.

His shot that opened the scoring looked to be on target at first but was deflected twice, just a touch wide and then into the net.

Mattock's goal was a peach - a quality finish to a smooth move. Corner? Goalkick? Who could tell but they got their benefit of the doubt with the aforementioned "offside" so I've no sympathy.

I quite liked Pearson's positive decision-making when he set about closing the game out. His approach seemed to be not to sit back too deep but to gain possession and look to steal another goal if Yeovil got a bit reckless.

He had a plan and it worked cos Yeovil rarely threatened in the last 25 minutes.

Cleverley looked like another decent signing and started his City "career" with an assist.

Hard to pick a man-of-the-match.

Everyone seemed to have good moments and times when they could/should have done better.

Only Martin looked faultless. Okay he didn't have a shot to save. But he handled some testing crosses well and looked in full control of his area. Davies' run was a moment to remember, more so Mattock's goal and with Howard effectively getting the opener and having quite an influence all round I'd say he just edged it for me.

The centre-backs looked vulnerable early on and again in the first 10/15 minutes of the second half but they too did some sterling work.

So too King who made one vital defensive touch to deny Yeovil a possible goal but otherwise was just quietly competent in a fairly subdued role and with the odd mistake thrown in. Dyer was much the same...two or three decent runs and crosses but a bit patchy and frustrating otherwise.

Altogether not a day of great individual contributions but a competent team display immaculately conducted by Pearson who, if he qualified, would actually have deserved the MoM award.

Seemed like Oakley had a bit of an off day (missed an open net, too) but it didn't even matter.

What was up with that first goal--should have been a goal kick on the previous play?

I only got to watch the first 30 minutes on a crappy internet stream, but Davies looked like the most composed and skillful player out there by a long way. I guess all the raves from here have merit.

Excellent job by a Tunchevless back line. Hobbs got stuck in and made several good challenges on the left side. Nice to see that Gilbert and Berner had enough confidence in their teammates to go forward, knowing the rest of the guys would be able to handle anything Yeovil threw at them.

Altogether not a day of great individual contributions but a competent team display immaculately conducted by Pearson who, if he qualified, would actually have deserved the MoM award.

Not sure you'd have said that if you'd been there.

Changing to 4-5-1 for the last 5 mins could have backfired, especially if the outrageous dive in our box had fooled the ref.

Would have preferred Chambers to have had a run at their defence, but Cleverley showed some good touches and kept the ball well, which is more than could be said for some in the side (hi Oakley..).

With two home games now looming, it looks like the unbeaten league run could carry on for some time.

Well done,you've took to life in this league easier than anyone could have imagined :(

Including us. We didn't expect it to be this easy, or to have such a good manager. Welcome back by the way.

Great result, it was never going to be easy but we played well on a difficult surface. I really hope we can get Davies, I know it's unrealistic but he's been sensational since he joined.

A couple of other quick points. Firstly I thought the referee had an excellent game. A lot of refs get slated for poor performances but I thought he did well, let the game flow and got most decisions correct.

Secondly it was nice to see Luke Rodgers say to the referee no penalty when he fell in the box. You don't see enough of that in this game so fair play to the lad. When I first saw it I thought maybe it would be a penalty but well done Rodgers and the ref for making sure the correct decision was made!

Watched it on the tellybox in the pub, I have to say it looked like a typical home performace to me (even though we were away), trying to probe and pass it around, but frustrated by a back four suplimented by a midfielder or two dropping in.

I agree that we should have bagged at least once early doors, but I don't think they really opened us up at any point or stretched us too much.

It was another 2nd gear, professional performance against a team that came out looking for a point.

Also, I'm by no means a Fryatt hater but six games since he last bagged - lets hope he's not got too comfortable with his new contract!

Not sure you'd have said that if you'd been there.

Changing to 4-5-1 for the last 5 mins could have backfired, especially if the outrageous dive in our box had fooled the ref.

But it didn't and, although it would probably not have appealed to me as an approach, I just felt Pearson went with a game plan and carried it through. In other words he showed the sort of leadership and sense of purpose we didn't have with people like Kelly and Holloway.

Putting Chambers on with what was an always combative away game still in the balance might have backfired as easily as 4-5-1 and I really had no reservations about Cleverley going on ahead of Chambers and his assist seemed to fully justify that.

The "dive" could have fooled the ref but generally I thought we wrested control of the last 20 minutes and played the game out quite efficiently.

Just thought this made nice viewing!

P GD PTS

1 Leicester 25 29 57

2 MK Dons 25 24 50

3 Millwall 24 8 47

4 Peterborough 24 16 46

5 Oldham 26 11 45

6 S****horpe 25 12 44

7 Stockport 25 12 41

8 Huddersfield 26 -1 40

9 Leeds 25 8 39

10 Tranmere 24 3 37

11 Colchester 25 1 35

12 Hartlepool 25 -3 32

13 Walsall 24 -2 31

14 Carlisle 25 -4 31

15 Northampton 25 -1 30

16 Southend 24 -10 30

17 Bristol Rovers 24 3 29

18 Swindon 25 -9 24

19 Yeovil 25 -14 24

20 Brighton 24 -9 23

21 Leyton Orient 25 -15 22

22 Hereford 24 -14 20

23 Cheltenham 24 -25 20

24 Crewe 24 -20 19

I don't go to many away matches, I go to a few but pick and choose, not many, But I tell you what it's horrible being and 'armchair supporter' ain't it?!

Something I will certainly be pointing out to a few people tomorrow.

I was gonna say a sentence or two but I think it's best I don't now.

I don't go to many away matches, I go to a few but pick and choose, not many, But I tell you what it's horrible being and 'armchair supporter' ain't it?!

Something I will certainly be pointing out to a few people tomorrow.

To who?! Lads that went. They just went to Yeovil on a weekday night mate, I don't think you're gunna get much sympathy.

To who?! Lads that went. They just went to Yeovil on a weekday night mate, I don't think you're gunna get much sympathy.

Huh what you on about?

I praise the people (Not just lads into football you know ;)) who went tonight.

I will be pointing out to the glory supporters I know how it's horrible to be an armchair supporter, and I really don't know how they can 'support' a team that way. Pick a team you can go an watch live in person.

Archived