Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Bands You Only Started Liking Years after They First Began

Ok, kinda self explanatory thread title. Basically, any bands or artists you knew of but never listened to, then one day you tried them and thought they were damn good.

Mine is Alice In Chains. Literally just started listening to them today and they are pretty god damn awesome. Only took me 20 years. :/

Bloc Party and Arctic Monkeys are probably the two most notable ones for me.

So basically my rule of thumb is I get put off if a band get overly bummed by the NME when they first come out, but I'll eventually get round to liking their music for what it is as soon as the hype dies down.

REM, only really started buying their records a couple of years ago. The Coral, & blur were others I've only recently got into.

Saw them live twice and were quality both times. Suprised they haven't made it a bit bigger

Pretty much all of my music I discovered way after the artists first began.

I've always liked Queen because my Dad always listens to them, and really didnt listen too many other artists till a few years ago, I was the sort of person who liked the odd song by lots of people. Then I discovered Foo Fighters after hearing a few songs and liking The Pretender video, so bought an album and really liked them. Then one day I started looking through lists of 'best songs ever or 'greatest rock songs' and listening to the top ones. I discovered Smells Like Teen Spirit and instantly couldnt get enough of it, and after realising that Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters was the drummer for Nirvana I had to listen to some more and again loved it. I was only 3/4 years old when Nirvana finished and Foos formed and didnt discover them till I was 15/16 so thats a good few years after they began. Those two bands I think I'd say are now my favourite two bands.

Also bands like Kasabian, I liked a few songs and liked them as they were from Leicester, but after hearing songs like Fire and Underdog from the last album, I again found my self getting the other albums and started considering myself a fan.

Generally, I dont listen to much modern music at all so the majority of the artists I listen to began years before I started listening to them. The only band I can think of listening to them from the start is Them Crooked Vultures and thats only because of their relations from other bands.

loads of bands from the 30s to the 70s of course, but of bands that i might have listened to but didn't...

the smiths

teardrop explodes

eliot smith

röyksopp

embrace

the whole genre of jazz

David Bowie but kinda to be expected at my age (i.e. not alive in his prime)

I found Coldplay a bit mundane at first, like them now (probably opposite to most)

Radiohead and Muse to an extent although i still think they're both a bit overrated. :ph34r:

It's strange when you find a band of whom you have heard many songs but you never actually knew who they were. This happened to me yesterday with the band Crowded House. Know many of their songs but didn't realise it was them until yesterday. Now i can't get enough. Really good band. :thumbup:

Archived