Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I meant more giving it to a charity that would give it to a poor family? I know there are some that take furniture, but I'm not sure if they take electrical items.

Have you ever used freecycle Webbo? Not exactly charity but would likely go to someone who can actually use it.

https://www.freecycle.org/

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I meant more giving it to a charity that would give it to a poor family? I know there are some that take furniture, but I'm not sure if they take electrical items.

I think the British Heart Foundation collect working FF's 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Is there anywhere that takes working fridge freezers other than taking it down the tip?

Not sure about Leicester City Council but local authority here do Bulky Waste collections - 5 items for about £35 (half-price if you claim Housing Benefit or get Council Tax Support).

So if you have any other items you need getting rid of then it's not too bad. Or someone else that needs to get rid of items then you can split the cost?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

Is there an effective weedkiller against ivy?

Where's the ivy growing & how bad is it?

I usually use a mattock to dig out as much of the root as I can.  Leave it for a while, to see if any grows back.........spray any new shoots with glyphosate (Roundup) or SBK.  Leave it a few weeks & spray it again.  Eventually it will give up & die.

If you are buying glyphosate......don't buy ready-mixed Roundup from a garden centre.  It's a rip-off.  You're better off buying something like Gallup 360.  It comes in concentrated form, that you mix with water.  You can probably get 1 litre for about £15, which will last you years.  A ready-made litre of Roundup will cost you about £5 & will last 5 minutes.

Glyphosate is good for general use, like driveways & paths, etc.  Be careful though, as it will kill grass & plants too - so don't spray if it's windy.

1 minute ago, pSinatra said:

Where's the ivy growing & how bad is it?

I usually use a mattock to dig out as much of the root as I can.  Leave it for a while, to see if any grows back.........spray any new shoots with glyphosate (Roundup) or SBK.  Leave it a few weeks & spray it again.  Eventually it will give up & die.

If you are buying glyphosate......don't buy ready-mixed Roundup from a garden centre.  It's a rip-off.  You're better off buying something like Gallup 360.  It comes in concentrated form, that you mix with water.  You can probably get 1 litre for about £15, which will last you years.  A ready-made litre of Roundup will cost you about £5 & will last 5 minutes.

Glyphosate is good for general use, like driveways & paths, etc.  Be careful though, as it will kill grass & plants too - so don't spray if it's windy.

There's a bit of a path at the back of our house and it's coming from there climbing over our fence. Where would I buy that Gallup 360 from?

There's a bit of a path at the back of our house and it's coming from there climbing over our fence. Where would I buy that Gallup 360 from?

You'd do well to get rid of it, if it's coming from a neighbour & you can't get to the root & the ivy is well established.

If you search Gallup 360 there's plenty of places that sell it, although it sounds like SBK might be a better option in this case.

Weedkiller 

That's the first one I came across.  My usual supplier only sells it in 5 litres & that would probably go off before you got to use it all.

• Thanks 1

My daughter has just had an email from Facebook saying that her account has been accessed but she hasn't had an account since 2010. According to her sisters account she has a profile and all her posts from before 2010 are there. She can't remember her password. What can she do?

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

My daughter has just had an email from Facebook saying that her account has been accessed but she hasn't had an account since 2010. According to her sisters account she has a profile and all her posts from before 2010 are there. She can't remember her password. What can she do?

Set up a new password, log on and deactivate it imo.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Run away from home before dad sees pictures he doesnt want to see. (Provided shes 18 plus).

Or do a passwod reset on it. Should send her an email to reset her fb account password. Then eother delete the account or change password to something very complex (not "password123")

Edited by Jattdogg

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Run away from home before dad sees pictures he doesnt want to see. (Provided shes 18 plus).

Or do a passwod reset on it. Should send her an email to reset her fb account password. Then eother delete the account or change password to something very complex (not "password123")

She deleted her account in 2010. She panicking that someones hacked her account and is going to empty her bank account.

She deleted her account in 2010. She panicking that someones hacked her account and is going to empty her bank account.

Is it a legit facebook email or a phishing facebook email? Whose the "sender" of the email. Did she click on any links in the email?

25 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Is it a legit facebook email or a phishing facebook email? Whose the "sender" of the email. Did she click on any links in the email?

It was an official Facebook email she checked.

43 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It was an official Facebook email she checked.

Password reset possibly best option if it will work. Or try contacting fb directly from her email account thats attached to her deleted fb account. 

Might want to also run a virus, spyware, malware scan on pc in safe mode and then reset email passwords etc.

Some may say overkill but im an iT guy and suspicious of anything lol. Borderline paranoid i am.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Password reset possibly best option if it will work. Or try contacting fb directly from her email account thats attached to her deleted fb account. 

Might want to also run a virus, spyware, malware scan on pc in safe mode and then reset email passwords etc.

Some may say overkill but im an iT guy and suspicious of anything lol. Borderline paranoid i am.

Done/ doing all that. She cancelled all her bank cards as well. You can't be too careful.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Done/ doing all that. She cancelled all her bank cards as well. You can't be too careful.

Jeeebus she went full out. In that case did she call credit check bureau to ensure they contact her if anyone ever tries to take credit out in her name?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tuna said:

How many miles do Buses do before they get scrapped/taken out of service?

Saw one S registered double decker today, so that would make it about 20 years old.

I googled this a while ago (whilst bored on the bus) and it can be anything up to about 2m apparently.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tuna said:

How many miles do Buses do before they get scrapped/taken out of service?

Saw one S registered double decker today, so that would make it about 20 years old.

Chugging round day after day with barely any passengers blasting out massive amounts of pollution. All that money the government has spent on “improving public transport instead of building new transport infrastructure” really clear to see. Still, a few bus company owners have probably made hundreds of millions so mission accomplished for the Tories.