Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

6 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Watching some videos of the falcon heavy launch and rocket landing, I first assumed that the crowd noises were fake as shit. I mean who the hell whoops and hollers at a rocket? Ok, Americans, maybe. But then they started chanting and I thought, yeah that's definitely some fake ass faking.

However, I then stumbled across this video:

In which people are genuinely whooping and hollering. 

Actors, right? There's no way these reactions are normal. 

People clap when a pilot lands a plane.

8 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Watching some videos of the falcon heavy launch and rocket landing, I first assumed that the crowd noises were fake as shit. I mean who the hell whoops and hollers at a rocket? Ok, Americans, maybe. But then they started chanting and I thought, yeah that's definitely some fake ass faking.

Just Yanks being Yanks.

Move along, nothing to see here.

1 minute ago, Rogstanley said:

No, the sound was real - channeled from the congregation of Space X employees and invitees at the Cape which pissed me off watching it live because it drowned out the live feed on the rocket sound. 

That's what they do in America. I once went to the cinema in New York and they were up in the aisles whooping and hollering...and that was just the trailers before the main feature..

Never visit on July 4th. 

9 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Dunno about anyone else, but if I was there seeing that and not being sure if it was going to be successful or not, when it was successful I'd be going nuts ala Hazard scoring against Spurs too. If I was working for SpaceX and not currently manning a terminal I'd be going nuts too.

This is a big thing, and evidently quite a few people there thought similarly.

46 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Anyone ever written a character reference? I need to write one for my gaffer who is having a disciplinary. 

Any advice?

To whom it may concern.

I have had the pleasure of working with Mr/Ms x for x years now and have always found him/her to be a very professional manager. Myself and co-workers have all benefitted from his/her experience and leadership. He/She has always shown to be articulate, kind and caring. Mr/Ms x has always been a popular manager and someone I also now consider a friend.

Something along those lines.

Edited by Strokes

On 10/02/2018 at 15:31, Rogstanley said:

Mate I'd be losing my shit. It's would be ****ing awesome.

53 minutes ago, Strokes said:

To whom it may concern.

I have had the pleasure of working with Mr/Ms x for x years now and have always found him/her to be a very professional manager. Myself and co-workers have all benefitted from his/her experience and leadership. He/She has always shown to be articulate, kind and caring. Mr/Ms x has always been a popular manager and someone I also now consider a friend.

Something along those lines.

Thanks pal. So it doesn’t have to be particularly long or anything? That was the kind of thing I had in mind anyway 

4 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Thanks pal. So it doesn’t have to be particularly long or anything? That was the kind of thing I had in mind anyway 

I wouldn’t go too long mate, it might just detract from the point. I’ve not got much experience in this though.

Just now, Finnegan said:

Aye but that's on Ryan Air and its out of genuine relief. 

The most recent was on Whizzair flying into Cluj Romania a couple of weeks ago.  To be fair it was rather foggy, and most of them knew well that the alternate airport option would mean 3 hours on a coach pm winding roads.

On 10/02/2018 at 15:39, Jon the Hat said:

People clap when a pilot lands a plane.

Thats mainly an Italian trait I believe.

I once dated an Italian women who was quite vocal in her disgust at her fellow countrymen for this practice. I pointed out I had seen how Italians drive and as a result wasn’t suprised they clapped the pilot for landing. 

Would it be too soon to suggest Russian’s are now taking up this practice as well?

On 11/02/2018 at 19:39, SystonFox said:

Anyone ever written a character reference? I need to write one for my gaffer who is having a disciplinary. 

Any advice?

Figure out whether you’d become gaffer and get a pay rise if he was given the chop... and then tailor your character reference accordingly ?

Edit: to be helpful, I found this online; it references the Army, but it seems good overall advice.

http://www.armywriter.com/character-statement.htm

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 1

We have a light that doesn't work in our house. The light either flickers or just doesn't work at all. It's linked to an extractor fan but it doesn't make any difference if it's on or off. It's just a basic light fitting. The switch is okay, I can't see any loose wires and I've changed the bulb. Anyone know what it might be?

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We have a light that doesn't work in our house. The light either flickers or just doesn't work at all. It's linked to an extractor fan but it doesn't make any difference if it's on or off. It's just a basic light fitting. The switch is okay, I can't see any loose wires and I've changed the bulb. Anyone know what it might be?

Have you checked the wiring the other end - inside the ceiling rose?  A whole new pendant set & light switch would only be about a fiver.  At least you'd be able to eliminate that as the problem.  Damn sight cheaper than an electrician.

2 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

Have you checked the wiring the other end - inside the ceiling rose?  A whole new pendant set & light switch would only be about a fiver.  At least you'd be able to eliminate that as the problem.  Damn sight cheaper than an electrician.

There's about 19 different wires coming out of the ceiling. Probably could swap the fitting but I don't fancy it much.

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

There's about 19 different wires coming out of the ceiling. Probably could swap the fitting but I don't fancy it much.

I knew you had just moved home, so thought it might have been some short arse swinging on the pendant trying to get the old shade off.

I don't blame you for not wanting to try.  I'm the sort of person that goes wading in & ending up in hospital........plus a huge electrician's bill.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

I knew you had just moved home, so thought it might have been some short arse swinging on the pendant trying to get the old shade off.

I don't blame you for not wanting to try.  I'm the sort of person that goes wading in & ending up in hospital........plus a huge electrician's bill.

That will be your epitaph:

pSinatra - I did it my way...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

POLTERGEIST???

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

Do you want me to take a look? I won’t charge to tell you what’s wrong, I might to fix it.

39 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Do you want me to take a look? I won’t charge to tell you what’s wrong, I might to fix it.

I'll let you know, I'll talk to my builder mate tonight, if he doesn't know I'll PM you.

• Like 1