Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I am getting the house completely refloored so carpet to lounge bedroom stairs then amtico to kitchen hall bathrooms etc. They are doing the kitchen tomorrow so need to put the fridge freezer in the lounge. Will it be ok just to unplug then plug back in the lounge and then move back to kitchen when floor is down? 

Google it to be sure, but when freezers are moved in a house move you are supposed to leave a freezer to settle for several hours before plugging it in again. Something to do with the fluids in the cooling system.

54 minutes ago, Buce said:

Google it to be sure, but when freezers are moved in a house move you are supposed to leave a freezer to settle for several hours before plugging it in again. Something to do with the fluids in the cooling system.

I keep reading conflicting reports so not sure what to do yet 

Just to check, polling station staff can't ask about your ballot can they? Wouldn't normally care about these things, not to the extent of complaining but it annoyed me the woman said 'you wrote a lot' and not in the friendliest way either.

12 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Just to check, polling station staff can't ask about your ballot can they? Wouldn't normally care about these things, not to the extent of complaining but it annoyed me the woman said 'you wrote a lot' and not in the friendliest way either.

Spoilt ballot?

As far as I know they shouldn’t ask you anything to do with your vote.

18 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

You should remind her that such is your right in a free, democratic nation.

The correct thing to do in those situations is give the person an awkward but agreeable smile and then leave quickly, after which you can quietly seethe about it for the rest of the day, running through all the grand statements you wish you had the presence of mind to make in the moment, but didn't.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Out of order, that. You don't seem the sort to be intimidated by such comments, but some people are - maybe other people waiting to vote, who might be concerned that staff will be watching what they do, and might be influenced by hearing such comments.

Maybe she did actually mean to be friendly but was just one of those people incapable of smiling to show their friendly intent? If she was really making a judgmental comment, she shouldn't be allowed to perform that role. 

A bit naughty, either way.

I should know but are there elections in Leicester today as I haven't had a poll card and only just thought about it tbh 

48 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Out of order, that. You don't seem the sort to be intimidated by such comments, but some people are - maybe other people waiting to vote, who might be concerned that staff will be watching what they do, and might be influenced by hearing such comments.

Maybe she did actually mean to be friendly but was just one of those people incapable of smiling to show their friendly intent? If she was really making a judgmental comment, she shouldn't be allowed to perform that role. 

A bit naughty, either way.

That's what I thought. Given I obviously spoilt the ballot, some people might feel less comfortable doing that/unsure if they can and it puts them off in future or as you say others there (was empty).

I don't think it was malicious tbf, just didn't come across well. Maybe she was just hit by nerves seeing a dashing young fella engaging in the democratic process of this fine nation :D.

Still annoys me tho tbh

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

Totally inappropriate behaviour for polling station staff. Should have reported her to the returning officer.

Just now, Buce said:

With musical notation?

I mean if you're writing a book or something - so in words - I'm not, it just popped into my head lol

Does anyone on here currently own or have previously owned Guinea Pigs as pets?

The kids have been on at me about having them for ages and I've finally caved in.

I've given them the money and told them to sort it all out as I want nothing to do with it.

But inevitably it will be me who ends up looking after, feeding and cleaning the little fvckers.

Is it much hassle or they pretty low maintenance?

4 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

The kids have been on at me about having them for ages and I've finally caved in.

I've given them the money and told them to sort it all out as I want nothing to do with it.

But inevitably it will be me who ends up looking after, feeding and cleaning the little fvckers.

if you dont feed them they are no trouble at all as long as you have a small patch of garden spare.

and a trowel

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

This suggests that they are a fair bit of trouble, bro:

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/how-easy-is-it-to-look-after-a-guinea-pig.html

This seems to be the go to place for advice though:

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

This suggests that they are a fair bit of trouble, bro:

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/how-easy-is-it-to-look-after-a-guinea-pig.html

This seems to be the go to place for advice though:

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/

Thanks mate, very helpful :thumbup:

Another forum I can waste hours of my life on lol

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Has anyone ever got one of those herb plants you buy in the pot to actually grow instead of just collapsing in a heap on the window ledge?

If you mean the supermarket ones then it's pretty difficult. They're not great plants, they're either grown too quickly or just a load of smaller plants shoved in the same pot so it's a bit overcrowded. Added to that, most of them aren't great indoors plants and need exactly the right conditions. Outside, in the summer, they'll do great with a repot and some separation of you actually wanted to grow some. Even so, better to get them from the garden centre.

Just started a new job in a hospital ward.

Feel out of place in a quite a large team that has worked with each other/known each other for a while and felt quite awkward due to it (fear of being judged etc in being a 'newbie', despite only just starting) despite trying not to think about it..

What's the best way to settle in in this aspect?

It may sound daft but it's a horrible feeling when in a new work environment.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

4 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Just started a new job in a hospital ward.

Feel out of place in a quite a large team that has worked with each other/known each other for a while and felt quite awkward due to it (fear of being judged etc in being a 'newbie', despite only just starting) despite trying not to think about it..

What's the best way to settle in in this aspect?

It may sound daft but it's a horrible feeling when in a new work environment.

Doesn't sound daft at all to me mate.

The best way to settle in, build rapport and make friends is to ask questions, actively listen and take a genuine interest in people IMHO.

People love nothing more than talking about themselves and it helps to build trust if they believe you're interested in them and care about what they have to say.

Just a few, gentle "What...? or How...?" questions that make people talk and before you know it they'll be confiding in you and you'll be part of the team.

Just my 2p FWIW.

Good luck in the new role Wymesy :thumbup:

• Like 2