Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I've completed a health questionnaire and signed it.

Also been told to accept or not by email before 3 days of the offer being sent, which I did earlier.

Got ID checking appointment next week, and references are set to be checked etc.

Ah, I see.

I'm no expert but I don't think there's any legal implications of you still rejecting it until you've signed a contract of employment. Most of the job sites have a section on 'How to reject a job offer' and here's an example from Total Jobs.

https://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/interviews/how-to-reject-a job-offer

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Ah, I see.

I'm no expert but I don't think there's any legal implications of you still rejecting it until you've signed a contract of employment. Most of the job sites have a section on 'How to reject a job offer' and here's an example from Total Jobs.

https://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/interviews/how-to-reject-a job-offer

Thanks.

Forgot to mention I accepted an 'conditional' job offer earlier via email.

Congrats @Wymeswold fox!

I'd say keep looking purely because the fact that you're asking makes it sound like you're not sure it's really a job you want to be doing.  I presume that until now you've been doing the sensible thing of applying to lots of roles even if you're not 100% keen on them but given that you now have the security of a solid offer it gives you the freedom to switch up your approach and be more selective in what you apply for, only putting your name forward for the jobs that you feel would make you genuinely happy.  Indeed you can carry on doing that even after you start the job in question, especially if it turns out to not be what you wanted after all.  There's no law against it as long as you make sure to respect the relevant notice periods.

9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I've recently accepted a job offer, for a role that commences in six weeks' time.

Should I continue to apply for other jobs and possible interviews, or leave it now?

As an employer, you are always nervous until the employee starts and will always have a second candidate in your mind in case the preferred option changes their mind.

Its not disloyalty, it’s the fact that the person will be looking for jobs, so you will expect them to have had other irons in the fire.

If there are opportunities out there, I’d still go for a look, it’s an ideal time too, no harm whatsoever. 

Others do it. 

Edited by Rob1742
  • Thanks 1

Hope this isn't a daft question..

What's the point in costs and wages increasing all the time?

Why can't it just stay the same for a certain amount of time, to make it both easy for consumers and businesses etc?

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I have a question too. Is there some kind of political tourettes? When it doesn't matter what the question is, or what the thread is about, a poster can't help but make it political? 

Sorry. :sweating:

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Haha no really didn't have you in mind ? I wish I was clever enough to have the answer to your question!  I'm pretty sure you can guess who I was thinking about though ?

Fascist 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Who invented the car alarm?

And where does he live?

"An early version of a car alarm for use as a theft deterrent was invented by an unknown prisoner from Denver in 1913. This version was manually armed, and triggered when someonetried to crank the engine. A later alarm inspired by an early version of a remote starter was published in 1916".

He's probably dead now Bucey ..  bad luck ...   :)

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2018 at 01:42, Wymeswold fox said:

Hope this isn't a daft question..

What's the point in costs and wages increasing all the time?

Why can't it just stay the same for a certain amount of time, to make it both easy for consumers and businesses etc?

The capitalist society is based on growth... the stock market expects growth, a business is not considered successful unless it demonstrates growth in both turnover and profit.

I previously worked in an industry that placed an average 7-10%% growth on every level of the business, the sales people were each expected to increase their sales by at least 7% on the previous year, now there were not 7-10% new business's to sell to, so we would institute a 4-6% price increase which meant sales only needed to maintain their existing base...and then only add 3-6%% of new business (easy huh) :) 

Of course the problem was that it was an industry in decline (newspapers) so... when you increase prices you lose customers and new business's dont come on board, so reaching that increase is nigh on impossible... so the sales people get sacked, their "patch" falls and therefore a year later the new rep doesnt need to sell as much.

The only option is for the business owners to buy other business' to prop up their company (news ltd>Sky etc). So that it looks like they are growing and the stock market suckers keep buying their shares.

It really is just bullshit. (sorry for drifting into politics, but it is the answer)

Edit - oh and then once every 15 years or so... we have a big recession where everything falls and you get to start from a low base again.

Edited by ozleicester

3 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

The capitalist society is based on growth... the stock market expects growth, a business is not considered successful unless it demonstrates growth in both turnover and profit.

I previously worked in an industry that placed an average 7-10%% growth on every level of the business, the sales people were each expected to increase their sales by at least 7% on the previous year, now there were not 7-10% new business's to sell to, so we would institute a 4-6% price increase which meant sales only needed to maintain their existing base...and then only add 3-6%% of new business (easy huh) :) 

Of course the problem was that it was an industry in decline (newspapers) so... when you increase prices you lose customers and new business's dont come on board, so reaching that increase is nigh on impossible... so the sales people get sacked, their "patch" falls and therefore a year later the new rep doesnt need to sell as much.

The only option is for the business owners to buy other business' to prop up their company (news ltd>Sky etc). So that it looks like they are growing and the stock market suckers keep buying their shares.

It really is just bullshit. (sorry for drifting into politics, but it is the answer)

That's interesting, Oz. I always thought that newspapers sell at a loss and make their revenue from advertising.

Just now, Steve_Walsh5 said:

What’s the point in changing the clocks forward & back every year? Why not just have the same time all year round.

Because if we left it at GMT it'd be light at 3 in the morning in May and dark at 9. Much better to have that extra hour of daylight at night.

7 hours ago, Buce said:

That's interesting, Oz. I always thought that newspapers sell at a loss and make their revenue from advertising.

Back pre the 90s and the internet, the papers sold at profit but made the bulk of the money from advertising, these days the cover price is next to nothing and is definitley a loss.

Since the late 90s newspapers have been in sales decline. this graph though only for the sun is a fair representation for all newspapers  https://www.statista.com/statistics/288206/circulation-trend-of-the-sun-newspaper-uk/ )

I was referring to our sales reps budgets increasing (circ stopped expecting increases in the 90s and now just aim to try and hold) year on year. IMO the regular, growth...recession/share collapse is a manufactured situation designed to allow a reset of corporate growth/profits........ 10 years growth....2 years recession.....growth.....recession...growth  etcetcetc.

• Thanks 1

I just nipped into Tesco on the way home to pick up a few bits. Got to the express checkout and the cashier was clearly a bit stressed and pre occupied.

My stuff came to £12.50 total and I handed over a £20 note. She smiled, gave me the receipt and £17.50 change instead of £7.50 then wished me a nice evening.

Whadda ya do?

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

I just nipped into Tesco on the way home to pick up a few bits. Got to the express checkout and the cashier was clearly a bit stressed and pre occupied.

My stuff came to £12.50 total and I handed over a £20 note. She smiled, gave me the receipt and £17.50 change instead of £7.50 then wished me a nice evening.

Whadda ya do?

Hand it back because Tesco will take out of her wages.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Whadda ya do?

Give her a £10 tip, wait for her to get fired and make sure you are on hand to offer her a drink as she leaves Image result for barney stinson

• Haha 2