Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

21 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

This has the makings of a new thread.... "When and where were you conceived?"

I was always impressed with the efficiency that my parents displayed: I was born 10 months after their marriage, my brother 10 months after they acquired their first house.

I was thinking something similar Alf but my little tale is slightly different...   I was a mistake !!!   :o    My parents already had their 2.1 nuclear family children and that was meant to be that ...   but one drunken night ...      Anyway, I was reminded of this over and over again by my brother and sister ....     and ...    to make it worse !!!!  ...     My brother was my dads favourite and my sister was my mums favourite !!!!   :(

Things did get better though  ...   I got mum and dad to agree that I was their second favourite child and using my scoring method of 5 points (for first)  4 for second and 1 for third ...    I actually came out on top !!   lol   Hurrah !!!

• Haha 2

Does anybody on here know about collecting old stamps or have experience in getting them valued?

We've had an old stamp collection passed down to us through the generations which has been gathering dust but looking through them, there's some really old ones and lots of foreign ones.

No idea where to start really!

41 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Does anybody on here know about collecting old stamps or have experience in getting them valued?

We've had an old stamp collection passed down to us through the generations which has been gathering dust but looking through them, there's some really old ones and lots of foreign ones.

http://www.ukphilately.org.uk/

http://www.rpsl.org.uk/home.asp

https://www.bl.uk/subjects/philately

• Thanks 1

On 23/12/2018 at 20:24, Buce said:

We’ve moved a couple of times with a cat and she adjusted very quickly both times.  

10 hours ago, ozleicester said:

We work with a LOT of rescue animals, they adapt amazingly well to change, whether that's location or owners, they are very resilient and perfectly happy.

I do not doubt that pets can adapt well following house moves but I just wonder whether if they can recall details about their former homes with nostalgia like we would at times.  

7 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I do not doubt that pets can adapt well following house moves but I just wonder whether if they can recall details about their former homes with nostalgia like we would at times.  

I suspect that anthropomorphizing, mate.

Nostalgia is a human concept which I don't think their brains are able to feel.

18 hours ago, Izzy said:

I am right now with an old man who knows all about stamps.. im here for the next two hours of you have pics or questions :)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I am right now with an old man who knows all about stamps.. im here for the next two hours of you have pics or questions :)

Thanks man! 

The wife's buggered off to the gym and I can't find where she's put the bloody album :mad:

I know there's hundreds of stamps in there and mainly from the 1940's. There's a few in there from the 20's & 30's too. Also stamps from pretty much every country in the world, so if I had a few questions they'd be:

1. Are stamps more valuable, the older they are? (I'm guessing this is the case)

2. Are old stamps from certain countries more valuable/rare than others?

3. Are stamps still worth anything if they've been used?

Wish I could send you some pics Oz, I'll keep looking.

Cheers

21 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Thanks man! 

The wife's buggered off to the gym and I can't find where she's put the bloody album :mad:

I know there's hundreds of stamps in there and mainly from the 1940's. There's a few in there from the 20's & 30's too. Also stamps from pretty much every country in the world, so if I had a few questions they'd be:

1. Are stamps more valuable, the older they are? (I'm guessing this is the case)

2. Are old stamps from certain countries more valuable/rare than others?

3. Are stamps still worth anything if they've been used?

Wish I could send you some pics Oz, I'll keep looking.

Cheers

lol well, that was helpful from him...

1 not necessarily, age makes them rarer, but "value" is very variable.

2 location makes.....as above :)

3 used will (usually) seriously lower value

The man is my father in law... hes been collecting for 60 years... so if you want to send me pics etc later, ill email him and get feedback for you :)

Edit... hes 87 and tells me hes been collecting nearly 80 years :O

Edited by ozleicester
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

The man is my father in law... hes been collecting for 60 years... so if you want to send me pics etc later, ill email him and get feedback for you :)

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Buce sent me a few links and it looks like there's various shows/exhibits on in the UK where you can take your collection to be looked at by experts. Think we'll find a local one to go to next year and see what they say. I can imagine it's quite an interesting hobby if you really get into it :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Edit... hes 87 and tells me hes been collecting nearly 80 years :O

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Buce sent me a few links and it looks like there's various shows/exhibits on in the UK where you can take your collection to be looked at by experts. Think we'll find a local one to go to next year and see what they say. I can imagine it's quite an interesting hobby if you really get into it :)

Regarding #3, sometimes the opposite is the case according to what I read in one of those links. 

An example was given of stamps franked in the German Depression - their value is doubled. 

Also, stamps franked in certain post offices have increased value. 

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Regarding #3, sometimes the opposite is the case according to what I read in one of those links. 

An example was given of stamps franked in the German Depression - their value is doubled. 

Also, stamps franked in certain post offices have increased value. 

true indeed

1 hour ago, Rocket-Ron said:

What does affect your statutory rights? 

I assume you're being facetious, but the answer is almost nothing.

Saying that something doesn't affect your statutory rights is merely to inform consumers that the company's returns policy is not intended to replace their rights, that they are actually going above and beyond what is required by law. It is done so as not to dissuade consumers from returning goods because they fear losing their protection under the Sale of Goods Act. A bit of goodwill advertising, if you like.

The only circumstances that I can think of where you may lose protection under the Sale of Goods Act are,

• When you have committed a criminal act in purchasing said goods, for example, you paid with counterfeit currency or a stolen credit card.
  • If you cannot provide evidence for the purchase (ie. you paid by cash and do not have the receipt).
  • Like 1

Why doesn't the BBC have advertisements?

Not fully against the idea of paying a TV licence to watch content via television; at the risk of appearing dim - *awaits response stating how ironic Wymeswold fox says something appears dim' :whistle:* - but surely paying the licence fee is more than just the standard BBC, news and radio etc channels; and so why doesn't others like ITV etc get a good percentage of this licence fee?

Edited by Wymeswold fox

27 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Not fully against the idea of paying a TV licence to watch content via television; at the risk of appearing dim - *awaits response stating how ironic Wymeswold fox says something appears dim' :whistle:* - but surely paying the licence fee is more than just the standard BBC, news and radio etc channels; and so why doesn't others like ITV etc get a good percentage of this licence fee?

Itv, Channel 4 and co are independent channels who get their funding from advertising. Itv can basically show what they like, chase ratings to increase advertising revenue. Channel 4 are slightly different, maybe even get some of the licence fee, I can't remember so I won't go into that, but I know it's a bit weird. But the BBC have a remit, and not wanting people to jump on the political bias discussion, but the have to be impartial. They have to educate and inform aswell as entertain. They have to give up certain amounts of airtime to religious and political programming. You pay the licence fee, and the BBC (and people will argue it doesn't) serves you and everyone else, even if the ratings are shit, whilst itv and co aren't so hamstrung on what content they provide.

• Thanks 1

The amount of adverts on Sky channels pisses me off no end considering how much we pay for it. A program will start and only go for around 6-9 mins before the first break. 2 in a 30 min program, 4 or 5 in a mn hour long one. Does my swede in if I'm channel surfing and most of the time all I get is adverts. 

7 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If they have advertisers they are then unlikely to be independent and free from influence.

eg. Its hard to tell the public that a business that supplies, say 20% of your income, are a bunch of crooks.

State funded news and tv is the most valuable media you can have..as long as it is honest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

The amount of adverts on Sky channels pisses me off no end considering how much we pay for it. A program will start and only go for around 6-9 mins before the first break. 2 in a 30 min program, 4 or 5 in a mn hour long one. Does my swede in if I'm channel surfing and most of the time all I get is adverts. 

I cancelled my subscriptions due to this (among other reasons (Murdocracy).. you are literally paying to be advertised to.