Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Now...I'm not well-versed on the topic, but can anyone tell me what the point is of having so many multiple belts/organisations and the daft mandatory challenges beyond making money for the people in those organisations?

I mean, the public wants to know who is the best in each division, right? So that implies one belt, one boxer. Why all the bloody song and dance with multiple organisations?

Answers already in the question ...

38 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Now...I'm not well-versed on the topic, but can anyone tell me what the point is of having so many multiple belts/organisations and the daft mandatory challenges beyond making money for the people in those organisations?

I mean, the public wants to know who is the best in each division, right? So that implies one belt, one boxer. Why all the bloody song and dance with multiple organisations?

The more sporting reason would be it creates less of a bottle neck having one man at one weight who everyone is trying to defeat. 

I personally think 4 is a bit much, staying at three would of been more than sufficient. 

Mandatory challengers are there to make champions stay active.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

11 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

The more sporting reason would be it creates less of a bottle neck having one man at one weight who everyone is trying to defeat. 

I personally think 4 is a bit much, staying at three would of been more than sufficient. 

That's fair enough, but as you say 4 does seem a little much.

Regarding mandatory challenges, I get the concept there but wouldn't it be better to have a champion pick a fight from a list of challengers who are of standard rather than "one specific challenger or lose the belt"?

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

That's fair enough, but as you say 4 does seem a little much.

Regarding mandatory challenges, I get the concept there but wouldn't it be better to have a champion pick a fight from a list of challengers who are of standard rather than "one specific challenger or lose the belt"?

No I'd not say so, Mandatory fights can sometimes be a bit of joke due to how they work, and some governing bodies (cough IBF) are worse for ranking people who should not be there in no.1 contender spots. But normally The right man eventually gets that mandatory shot.

The thing with boxers, with a few notable exceptions, as much as they talk everything comes down to risk reward. This is why Wilder avoids Whyte and Breazelle like the plague, they would stand a smaller chance of beating him than Joshua but they are still dangerous and if he loses he's got a million dollars and his career is on the rocks as he's lost to a less fancied boxer. He loses to Joshua he's got 8 figures in his bank and its not so bad because hey, Antony Joshua beats everyone.

So if you start giving them a choice who they take as a mandatory defense unless there is a stand out financial benefit they are just going to pick the easiest win. 

8 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

No I'd not say so, Mandatory fights can sometimes be a bit of joke due to how they work, and some governing bodies (cough IBF) are worse for ranking people who should not be there in no.1 contender spots. But normally The right man eventually gets that mandatory shot.

The thing with boxers, with a few notable exceptions, as much as they talk everything comes down to risk reward. This is why Wilder avoids Whyte and Breazelle like the plague, they would stand a smaller chance of beating him than Joshua but they are still dangerous and if he loses he's got a million dollars and his career is on the rocks as he's lost to a less fancied boxer. He loses to Joshua he's got 8 figures in his bank and its not so bad because hey, Antony Joshua beats everyone.

So if you start giving them a choice who they take as a mandatory defense unless there is a stand out financial benefit they are just going to pick the easiest win. 

Thanks for the clarification Pabs, that does all make sense. :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Pabs, I get the four organisations but what's with all the different world championship belts these days?

I'm confused with some champions being 'super' some 'regular' some 'interim' and I think I've even heard of a 'diamond' belt? :blink:

It seems a relatively new phenomenon but just adds to the confusion to me...

Guest MattP
6 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Can Parker beat Joshua? I sincerely doubt it but can anybody see a scenario where he gets AJ in a bit of trouble?

Nope. I though he looked very average against Hughie Fury and he's not very good.

15 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Can Parker beat Joshua? I sincerely doubt it but can anybody see a scenario where he gets AJ in a bit of trouble?

100% he can , he carries a decent punch and that always gives him a chance

will he ?

100% he won’t ,

but thats why I’m going, intriguing fight   

Edited by NorthfieldsFox

42 minutes ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

100% he can , he carries a decent punch and that always gives him a chance

will he ?

100% he won’t ,

but thats why I’m going, intriguing fight   

Where are you sitting ? seats were still available at £35 on Saturday, right at the back though. I saw Calzaghe v Kessler but was about half way, decent view too. 

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Pabs, I get the four organisations but what's with all the different world championship belts these days?

I'm confused with some champions being 'super' some 'regular' some 'interim' and I think I've even heard of a 'diamond' belt? :blink:

It seems a relatively new phenomenon but just adds to the confusion to me...

Theyre all different things and essentially meaningless except for super which is the real world champion, but I’ll try and clear it up for you best I can,.

mainly the wba that have a super and a regular, regular is a less prestigious world title. People have differing opinions on how important it is but the super champion is the champion.

interim is normally awarded when an actual champion is out injured but still poses the belt and the governing body want someone to stand in during the time the champion is out, upon the champions return the two normally fight and the interim title disappears. That’s the actual use for it at least, some of the governing bodies seem to take them in and out of circulation without good reason. Normally to give the winner of an eliminator a belt to hold if they have nothing else vacant to give away.

Diamond and Silver belts are normally won as part of a title eliminator or a high ranking fight it’s basically an indication you’re in line to get a shot at the main belt sooner rather than later, but as championship “belts” they are worthless really

this my understanding at least, it’s a bit of a minefield to be honest I can’t blame you for being confused, four governing bodies four world champions Fck everything else is the advice I’d give To most people not really into it lol 

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Where are you sitting ? seats were still available at £35 on Saturday, right at the back though. I saw Calzaghe v Kessler but was about half way, decent view too. 

I have hospitality Seats we are on floor level for the action , was a bargain they were £450 plus vat but I got 6 for £300 each inc vat , I was a Calzaghe/Kessler but in gods 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Nope. I though he looked very average against Hughie Fury and he's not very good.

If you think that was bad I advise you to watch this 

.......actually I’ll rephrase that I heavily advise you don’t watch it but it’s another example of JP not looking very good.

@leicsmac this is actually a prime example of the point I made earlier, this fight  occurred when Hughes fury had to pull out of their first fight and the wbo told Parker to pick an opponent in the top 15, I’ll let you guess where old Razvan was ranked at the time lol 

Edited by Manwell Pablo

19 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Theyre all different things and essentially meaningless except for super which is the real world champion, but I’ll try and clear it up for you best I can,.

mainly the wba that have a super and a regular, regular is a less prestigious world title. People have differing opinions on how important it is but the super champion is the champion.

interim is normally awarded when an actual champion is out injured but still poses the belt and the governing body want someone to stand in during the time the champion is out, upon the champions return the two normally fight and the interim title disappears. That’s the actual use for it at least, some of the governing bodies seem to take them in and out of circulation without good reason. Normally to give the winner of an eliminator a belt to hold if they have nothing else vacant to give away.

Diamond and Silver belts are normally won as part of a title eliminator or a high ranking fight it’s basically an indication you’re in line to get a shot at the main belt sooner rather than later, but as championship “belts” they are worthless really

this my understanding at least, it’s a bit of a minefield to be honest I can’t blame you for being confused, four governing bodies four world champions Fck everything else is the advice I’d give To most people not really into it lol 

That's really helpful mate, cheers. You da man :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

I have hospitality Seats we are on floor level for the action , was a bargain they were £450 plus vat but I got 6 for £300 each inc vat , I was a Calzaghe/Kessler but in gods 

Sound fantastic, probably the best way to do the huge venue fights. Sure you’ll have a fantastic time. I had a brief look for hotels, seems there’s nothing available ! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, STEVIE B said:

Sound fantastic, probably the best way to do the huge venue fights. Sure you’ll have a fantastic time. I had a brief look for hotels, seems there’s nothing available ! 

I was lucky I got on them quick £125 a night each which is fantastic value given how many people are in town that weekend 

222BE5AE-E3B9-4D44-B6A9-CE78E7B0A2C2.jpeg

2 hours ago, MattP said:

I’ll be honest I’ve not seen many of Parker’s fights, but I remember watching the fight against Cojanu when Hughie Fury withdrew. 

Now I understand that was just a fight to keep Parker fresh, because he’d trained for a fight it was almost just a training fight if you like, I understand Cojanu even sparred with Parker in camp, perhaps it was down to the opposition (Cojanu) but it was genuinely one of the worst fights I’ve ever seen.

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

I’ll be honest I’ve not seen many of Parker’s fights, but I remember watching the fight against Cojanu when Hughie Fury withdrew. 

Now I understand that was just a fight to keep Parker fresh, because he’d trained for a fight it was almost just a training fight if you like, I understand Cojanu even sparred with Parker in camp, perhaps it was down to the opposition (Cojanu) but it was genuinely one of the worst fights I’ve ever seen.

They’d done a lot of rounds together.

its not something that should of been a big deal really, sparring is not fighting, Eubank and groves had sparred on numerous occasions and Eubank had the better of him but then Groves by all accounts is not great in sparring. Obviously the actual fight was man against keyboard warrior.

30 minutes ago, lestajigs said:

Parker does not look great tbf, AJ routine win, in the heavy weight boxing I think Parker is not even in the top 5 

But if you take wilder and AJ out the active fighters are very poor I think he creeps into the top 5 outside them two 

36 minutes ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

But if you take wilder and AJ out the active fighters are very poor I think he creeps into the top 5 outside them two 

Defo defo Fury, and I think white, and even chisora would beat Parker, let’s be honest about it who has he actually fought? I know wilder hasn’t fought anyone, but there is something there with him, and I’d go as far as even haye to beat Parker lol 

1 hour ago, lestajigs said:

Defo defo Fury, and I think white, and even chisora would beat Parker, let’s be honest about it who has he actually fought? I know wilder hasn’t fought anyone, but there is something there with him, and I’d go as far as even haye to beat Parker lol 

To be fair to parker I think Chisora/Haye (2018 cripple) would all struggle to beat a a top of his game Hughie Fury 

parker is better than casual fans /people give him credit for, AJ knows it and that’s why there will No mistakes Saturday he is 100% prepared , but I think Parker is massively underrated 

I think we get a fight on Saturday 

Edited by NorthfieldsFox