Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

5 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

If Wilder comes in heavier for the next fight I think Fury is done by round 5 tbh 

Really? You don't see the extra weight slowing Wilder down, assuming the fight makes it to the half-way stage? Wilder was dog tired after he knocked Fury down in the 12th and was holding on after getting clipped. With the extra weight, especially if it's muscle, he could start to stiffen up with the lack of oxgen and lactic acid after a while.

• Like 2

On 15/09/2019 at 18:21, Kendal Fox said:

I forgot to mention he also fought Danny Jacobs, who is taller than Kovalev and was able to nullify the height and reach there.

But I think he is getting Kovalev at the right time and might be able to use his quicker feet and hands to keep out of the way of Kovalev's big shots, whilst firing a few trademark combinations throughout the 12 rounds to pick up a points win.

On the other hand, if Kov has anything left and uses his brain to box, with that ram rod jab and if he has his legs, I can see him eventually being able to time when Canelo comes in to fire off those trademark combos, and land his own straight, heavy punches. In that case, it's possible he'd either get Canelo late or dare I say, win a decision by largely keeping out the smaller, shorter man and visibly hurting him on occcasion. It's possible as there has been so much controversy with Canelo winning decisions going back to the Austin Trout fight.

But that's a big if and it could be that he knows he's on the slide and is just going in there for the payday, given the lack of time for him to recover from the Yarde fight.

It’s not just the height and reach he’s fighting someone well over a stone heavier than Jacobs and you can come up with as many examples of larger middle weights he’s beaten with x attribute or b physical advantage it’s still going to be a different ball game, it’s as much about how he deals blowing up that much as it is to do with Kovalev anyway.

I also don’t think the Yarde fight was particularly gruelling, he lost about three rounds and really only took 90 seconds of proper punishment before stopping him, scary moments for him and I’m sure it hurt at the time but not something that’s going to take months to get over. He will be in the best condition possible

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 20:30, Manwell Pablo said:

It’s not just the height and reach he’s fighting someone well over a stone heavier than Jacobs and you can come up with as many examples of larger middle weights he’s beaten with x attribute or b physical advantage it’s still going to be a different ball game, it’s as much about how he deals blowing up that much as it is to do with Kovalev anyway.

I also don’t think the Yarde fight was particularly gruelling, he lost about three rounds and really only took 90 seconds of proper punishment before stopping him, scary moments for him and I’m sure it hurt at the time but not something that’s going to take months to get over. He will be in the best condition possible

I honestly don't think Kovalev is the same anymore. He's just not the same guy that battered Nathan Cleverley, separated Jean Pascal from his senses, or even the Kovalev that dropped Ward and probably should've gotten the decision against him the first time around. I won't deny it, that version of Kovalev would destroy any version of Canelo.

But he's slowing down and is an old 36 and just not that version anymore. Let's not kid ourselves, that's why Canelo and his team have taken the fight. Sure it's a risk, but a calculated one at that.

Edited by Kendal Fox

22 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

I honestly don't think Kovalev is the same anymore. He's just not the same guy that battered Nathan Cleverley, separated Jean Pascal from his senses, or even the Kovalev that dropped Ward and probably should've gotten the decision against him the first time around. I won't deny it, that version of Kovalev would destroy any version of Canelo.

But he's slowing down and is an old 36 and just not that version anymore. Let's not kid ourselves, that's why Canelo and his team have taken the fight. Sure it's a risk, but a calculated one at that.

Well yeah I know all of that.

I'm still think the logistics of getting up to light heavy are remaining competitive are going to be extremely tough for him.

On 20/09/2019 at 12:03, Manwell Pablo said:

Well yeah I know all of that.

I'm still think the logistics of getting up to light heavy are remaining competitive are going to be extremely tough for him.

Well, I'm curious to know if he can keep his handspeed at that weight.

In an interview with Fighthub TV he claims to walk around at 178-180. But to deal with the size and strength disparity, there's a chance he'll bulk up even more than he already is - muscle-wise. I guess the question is, will it slow him down too much? Or, seeing as Kovalev is not an inside fighter and won't be looking to clinch much, will he not be too worried about the size and strength aspect and therefore be a similar weight to what he was when he fought at 168?

I guess we'll soon see, but if he's ever going to beat a light heavyweight, Kovalev is the ideal guy.

Edited by Kendal Fox

13 hours ago, Tinman said:

Nigel Benn has scheduled a news conference for Thursday in London, where he's expected to announce that he will return to the ring.

Absolute legend my all time favourite uk fighter. However this should not be happening at his age as fit as he is it’s dangerous. He may well take all them amazing memories away with a comeback.

41 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Well that was pointless lol

Hes just too good for that level. But yeah, how he’s going to make it in this country without doing it the hard way with such an inability to talk I don’t know. Talking of which Joe Joyce in post match analysis after 🙈.

If they do end up fighting the build up is going to be the biggest cringe fest in boxing history.

Also BT making out like Dubois sold the royal Albert hall out by himself 😂. Place was half empty seconds after the ko