Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

Does the York Hall still do boxing?Been down to Bethnal Green a few times(museum of childhood and a greasy spoon across the road)with the family....York Hall is on my bucket list to see boxing...remember it from sportsnight!

I've been twice. Great venue, your never far from the ring as it's a small, iconic arena.

Still get the occasional big names performing there & plenty of upcoming talent.

There's also a couple of decent boozers nearby, The Salmon & Ball....a proper east end pub, supposed once owned by Bobby Moore. The Dundee Arms is ok too, it's 2 mins from York Hall. I've spotted boxer's in there post fight having a drink & chatting to people. 

It's a great day/evening out overall. 

Edited by STEVIE B
  • Like 3

I’m so glad Usyk won and how the Fury judge gave it to Tyson is ridiculous.

Fury’s old man is embarrassing and that’s another reason why I’m glad he lost. All of Fury’s showboating was cringing, just trying to belittle Usyk.

And Fury claiming he lost because of the Ukrainian war is pathetic.

• Thanks 1

Can’t understand how Fury got one judge having him ahead and another having him so close. At most he won 3 rounds. 

Usyk was excellent. Incredible how, after losing those middle rounds he turned it back on its head. 

I think he knocks him out in the rematch. 

• Like 2

Anyone saying that was close enough to be called a draw is having a ****ing laugh. 

Fury utterly outboxed and made himself look like a **** in the process..... Because he is 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Wortho said:

I’m so glad Usyk won and how the Fury judge gave it to Tyson is ridiculous.

Fury’s old man is embarrassing and that’s another reason why I’m glad he lost. All of Fury’s showboating was cringing, just trying to belittle Usyk.

And Fury claiming he lost because of the Ukrainian war is pathetic.

I

15 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Can’t understand how Fury got one judge having him ahead and another having him so close. At most he won 3 rounds. 

Usyk was excellent. Incredible how, after losing those middle rounds he turned it back on its head. 

I think he knocks him out in the rematch. 

I don't know much about boxing, but it looked like fury was suffering from tiredness towards the end. He doesn't look like an athlete and it showed in this fight. Usyk could have done another 5 rounds to look at him go.

• Like 1

didn't notice it during the coverage but appareantly that prat John Fury was shouting over Furys trainer in the corner telling Tyson he was winning and just needed to stay behind this jab for the last few rounds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Anyone saying that was close enough to be called a draw is having a ****ing laugh. 

Fury utterly outboxed and made himself look like a **** in the process..... Because he is 

John Fury headbutting the smallest man in the room, and coming off worse 😅

1 minute ago, turlo said:

didn't notice it during the coverage but appareantly that prat John Fury was shouting over Furys trainer in the corner telling Tyson he was winning and just needed to stay behind this jab for the last few rounds!

In Usyk’s corner it was calm, in contrast to Fury’s where it was bedlam. 
Fury doing the histrionics was embarrassing, it’s alright doing it but you have to back it up.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, turlo said:

I couldn't believe what I was hearing from his corner. 

Absolute nonsense 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turlo said:

He is an absolute cretin, Tyson has Sugar Hill & Andy Lee in his corner, 2 great boxing men and his dad is stood there shouting over them, embarassing man

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wortho said:

Why did the ref save Fury from being knocked out? Should’ve given him a count or preferably let Usyk finish him off!!

I think in hindsight after I hammered the ref earlier, cos of how Fury got up after being pollaxed by Wilder  we know Fury has massive resolve.

Fury touched the bottom rung therefore its classed as a knockdown as the rope stopped him hitting the canvas.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Where are people rating Usyk now in terms of all time heavyweights after that?

Very very hard to put into perspective  when a boxer is still active.

How do you rate him against the greats of Ali, Frazier, Marciano, Louis, Lennox, Tyson, Foreman, Holyfield...fvck knows🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Where are people rating Usyk now in terms of all time heavyweights after that?

I still think he gets beaten by prime Lewis, Ali, Tyson, Holyfield and to a degree both Klitchkos. 

He comes across as a great person, great heart but question marks remain on his body. 

Uysk / Dubois could have gone a different way. 

Fury / Nganou could have gone a different way.

Also, with Parker beating Wilder, question marks hang over how good Wilder is, thus querying Fury. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing a fit Ruiz vs Uysk, as that‘s an intriguing matchup. 

Then again, I’d still liked to have seen Bowe Vs Lewis, pre Holyfield defeat but that never happened. 

You could draw a line under this entire era but I think it will be looked back on with more fondness once all the big names retire. On any given day, due to the size of everyone, one punch makes a massive difference as we saw with Ruiz / Joshua.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

His legacy will be looked at in a wider context than just heavyweight- cleared up as an amateur and unified 2 divisions as a pro. He's one of the all time greats.

It’s difficult to judge era on era. 

The size of Heavyweights in Marcianos days were so much smaller. You would think someone like Fury in that era would have just dominated due to his size and ring skill.

Even when you look at boxing matches from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s etc, we’re all just suggesting our opinions on something that is ambiguous. Uysk will go down in history as an all time great. However, he could get knocked out by someone like Kabayel in his next fight and opinions change. 

One punch makes such a huge difference. 

Joshua pre Ruiz was unstoppable in many peoples eyes. He changed after that fight. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sly said:

Uysk / Dubois could have gone a different way. 

Narh, no it couldn't.

Quite a few people have made this point since that fight and I agree with them completely, Usyk might have been hurt and probably was playing for a bit of time but if the ref had said it wasn't a low blow he'd have been back on his feet in a flash and would have carried on the fight.

You saw Usyk got rocked a little in the middle of the fight last night, yeah he needed a round or so to recover, then he got straight back on and if anything improved.

Daniel Dubois isn't beating Usyk with 50 goes at it.

Edit: and Andy Ruiz isn't beating Usyk with 100 goes at it lol

Edited by Finnegan

40 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Well, only one other man in history has been undisputed at cruiser and then heavyweight and he (Holyfield) didn't manage an Olympic gold medal while Usyk did. Nobody has been undisputed at all in his generation.

He's done it beating probably the two best other heavyweights in the world and not ducking anyone, with very little time to work the rest of the field and adapt to the weight.

To top it all off he's about six inches shorter than most of the current top heavyweights and he's unbeaten in his professional career. 

So. Probably pretty high. 

Agree, he’s definitely in the top 10 of both Heavyweight and Cruiserweight rankings. 

Cruiserweight he’s easily in connection for best ever against Jones and Holyfield.