Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Legalise cannabis?

Legalise?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marijuana be legal?

• Yes
    • No

Guest MattP
19 minutes ago, Buce said:

It's odd how people differ, isn't it?

I think it's possibly my favourite smell.

Ugh, I don't know how. When I walk into a pub garden and smell it I want to be sick and then land a right hook on whoever blew it out. It's so vile.

Most people I know who don't partake in weed always love the smell of it when they catch a whiff and say something like "that makes me wish I smoked weed!". 

My fiancee who's never tried it always goes on about liking the smell - unless I've got some dank blues which 'stinks the entire house out'. 

She's not a fan of that lol. 

Just now, MattP said:

Ugh, I don't know how. When I walk into a pub garden and smell it I want to be sick and then land a right hook on whoever blew it out. It's so vile.

bit of an OTT reaction tbf. especially coming from someone who finds thatcher attractive... I assumed you had a stronger stomach... lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

You actually smoke it in the house? That's awful.

Why would anyone do that?

I don't smoke it at all actually - I use a vaporiser which means there is no combustion of the material at all, nothing burns, nothing smokes. 

It simply heats the weed up to a temperature of approx. 160-200deg causing the THC to turn into a vapour which you then inhale.

I've never smoked inside the house - cigarettes, weed or otherwise.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

One man's meat etc.

Tbh, I feel the same way about the smell of booze on someone's breath.

15 minutes ago, daz*dsb said:

bit of an OTT reaction tbf. especially coming from someone who finds thatcher attractive... I assumed you had a stronger stomach... lol

Touché! lol

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Buce said:

One man's meat etc.

Tbh, I feel the same way about the smell of booze on someone's breath.

lol

Not really a fair comparison, you don't manage to float your breath out 15 yards away to offend someone.

25 minutes ago, MattP said:

lol

Not really a fair comparison, you don't manage to float your breath out 15 yards away to offend someone.

True enough.

Tbf, I never smoke anywhere where I could offend anyone - the garden or the countryside usually.

4 hours ago, MattP said:

The argument for legalising cannabis has to be better than "something else is worse" though - I'm still on the fence on it, hard one for me as I believe in personal freedom but as I've said before I've seen what the drug has done to one of my friends.

I respect that you have concerns with regards to your friend's problems, but could that be offset by other underlying issues? As James said, legalisation gives you the chance to rid of stigmas around its usage and therefore make those with issues more receptive to help. In fact that's my argument as to why all drugs should be legalised (although Class As should be handled in a pharmaceutical manner with prescription system), it allows those with dependence feel like they won't be criminalised for reaching help. Like I said in my original post, I don't use any drugs other than alcohol, I rarely even use pharmaceuticals unless it can't be help, I honestly believe legalisation would have great social benefits, lower crime, lower dependency rates and taxable benefits.

Regardless, I hope your friends reaches the light at the end of the tunnel and finds his feet, I've known people with drug addictions and it's horrible to see what they can become. I hope he can find some peace :) 

• Like 2

Guest MattP
50 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I respect that you have concerns with regards to your friend's problems, but could that be offset by other underlying issues? As James said, legalisation gives you the chance to rid of stigmas around its usage and therefore make those with issues more receptive to help. In fact that's my argument as to why all drugs should be legalised (although Class As should be handled in a pharmaceutical manner with prescription system), it allows those with dependence feel like they won't be criminalised for reaching help. Like I said in my original post, I don't use any drugs other than alcohol, I rarely even use pharmaceuticals unless it can't be help, I honestly believe legalisation would have great social benefits, lower crime, lower dependency rates and taxable benefits.

Regardless, I hope your friends reaches the light at the end of the tunnel and finds his feet, I've known people with drug addictions and it's horrible to see what they can become. I hope he can find some peace :) 

I did explain this a few months so I'll try and find it - I can't write it out again as it upset me too much last time.

He badly needs help but he won't seek it, he's a total hermit now unfortunately, tragic as ten years ago he's was an amazing person to share time with. If he did have problems then they never showed.

some people's problems don't show until something brings them to the surface. 

tbf, drugs aren't for everyone - no drug, alcohol or weed is for everyone. 

some people take drugs to extremes when they have little willpower or self-control. 

weed, the same as anything - if abused can effect people negatively. 

I've pushed things to extremes over the years - especially when raving back in the early 00's. most weekends out on it; speed, coke, 2, 3, 4, 7? whatever pills over the course of a night / weekend. i always knew when to stop though - it was a lot, but I knew it was enough. i never let my weekend fun bleed into my working week (well, maybe once or twice) but for the most part I knew where the line was and not to push it. I never did crack / heroin / LSD even though I had the chance to do all of them if I wanted - because I couldn't guarantee myself that it was safe or that I wouldn't be able to help myself. if I thought there was the slightest chance my addictive personality would grab hold of something - I wouldn't try it.

even now - I'll enjoy weed most days for a few months and eventually go "right, daz - enough for now, it's making you a bit lazy / put a few pounds on / etc." and give it up again for a few months. I get my head clear, get in shape, get on track and eventually when I'm bored of the clarity that sobriety brings me then I'll go back to enjoying the haziness that weed brings. 

as they say - everything in moderation.

using any mind-altering substance whether it's beer / weed / mushrooms / pills, etc. ANYTHING that changes your mind-set from clean > inebriated should be treated with respect and self-control. 

but yeah - lose your self-control or have underlying mental issues already and you'll run into problems, obviously.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see Old Bill has a sense of humour:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-40548746

'Police left a light-hearted note saying "sorry we missed you" after digging up a cannabis plantation.

Thames Valley Police received a tip off the drugs were in woodland near Oxford on Saturday.

Officers left a notice which read: "Ooops! Sorry we missed each other, but feel free to call me on 101 so we can discuss a deal. Lots of love, TVP xx."

The force tweeted that they had left the note because "#WeveGotManners".

The drugs were discovered in woodland between Wolvercote Mill Stream and the A34 near Oxford.

Thames Valley Police said the drugs were "seized and destroyed". No-one has been arrested.'

8 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Not especially impressed by young couple walking away from the Western Park festival openly smoking joints. Wouldn't have minded as much if they weren't pushing a baby in a pram

What specifically is your objection?

Guest MattP
15 minutes ago, Buce said:

Being in charge of a infant whilst intoxicated?

Even me, a borderline alcohol, completely leaves the drink alone if babysitting. 

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

Being in charge of a infant whilst intoxicated?

Even me, a borderline alcohol, completely leaves the drink alone if babysitting. 

I wasn't condoning it.

I wondered if it was that or the second-hand smoke being blown over the child (or something else entirely).

2 hours ago, Buce said:

Well to be honest my objections are a bit vague.

There's presumably an issue with second hand smoke as if I can smell it from yards away the kid in their care must be breathing in at least some of it.

I think I'm more worried about the casual normalisation of something that isn't yet generally accepted, and a bit irritated at what I see as naivety. Yes, you may not get arrested, but you'll get judged by people, and although that matters not a jot when it's busybodies like me, if it's, I dunno, your older kid's teacher, your boss, your social worker, your gran's mate, your mum or dad or whatever it just seems like there's a risk of making your life harder than it would otherwise be for little advantage.

I expect this makes no sense at all.

If they were smoking it in their own kitchen after they'd put their kid to bed I wouldn't give a toss.  Don't disable the smoke alarm though, kids!

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

34 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well to be honest my objections are a bit vague.

There's presumably an issue with second hand smoke as if I can smell it from yards away the kid in their care must be breathing in at least some of it.

I think I'm more worried about the casual normalisation of something that isn't yet generally accepted, and a bit irritated at what I see as naivety. Yes, you may not get arrested, but you'll get judged by people, and although that matters not a jot when it's busybodies like me, if it's, I dunno, your older kid's teacher, your boss, your social worker, your gran's mate, your mum or dad or whatever it just seems like there's a risk of making your life harder than it would otherwise be for little advantage.

I expect this makes no sense at all.

If they were smoking it in their own kitchen after they'd put their kid to bed I wouldn't give a toss.  Don't disable the smoke alarm though, kids!

I would consider that worse than what they did, tbh. Smoke doesn't stay where it's produced (whether that be  cannabis or tobacco smoke) and particulates settle on all sorts of surfaces and furnishings. I have never smoked weed in the house, for that reason.

• 4 weeks later...

Prohibition does not work. It is not a form of control.

Drug deaths hit record high in England and Wales, new statistics show

ONS says 3,744 people were killed by drug poisoning in 2016, amid warnings over danger of former ‘legal highs’ and synthetic opioids such as fentanyl

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/drug-deaths-england-and-wales-3744-overdose-poisoning-legal-highs-new-psychoactive-substances-a7872241.html

The mind baffles to why you'd want to Smoke cannabis/weed/what you bloody call it, in the first place.

I lived at uni for a year and my houses mates were all in the kitchen rolling joints then smoking it. Safe to say the kitchen smelt awful for a good week. They thought they were solid, whereas they all looked like a bunch of total bellends to me.

My view is probably vague, but I really don't get it at all. Should definitely not be legal.