Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Legalise cannabis?

Legalise?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marijuana be legal?

• Yes
    • No

I tried some whilst at University Halls.

There were a few of us lads trying it. Got to say the kitchen smelled fresh as a daisy and created a relaxed environment.

Not bothered what some other house mate said, just because he didn't join in and experience the good the product generates..

:whistle:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adster said:

The mind baffles to why you'd want to Smoke cannabis/weed/what you bloody call it, in the first place.

I lived at uni for a year and my houses mates were all in the kitchen rolling joints then smoking it. Safe to say the kitchen smelt awful for a good week. They thought they were solid, whereas they all looked like a bunch of total bellends to me.

My view is probably vague, but I really don't get it at all. Should definitely not be legal.

You don't get it because you've not tried it, I suspect. I don't like the smell and wouldn't smoke inside but that's not a reason not to smoke it.

Just now, ajthefox said:

You don't get it because you've not tried it, I suspect. I don't like the smell and wouldn't smoke inside but that's not a reason not to smoke it.

Ive tried it and think it's dangerous, most people that I know that smoke the shit, do harder drugs, and unfortunately that for me means a no

7 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Ive tried it and think it's dangerous, most people that I know that smoke the shit, do harder drugs, and unfortunately that for me means a no

On the other hand, nobody that I know that smokes it even drinks alcohol, much less uses harder drugs. 

16 hours ago, Buce said:

On the other hand, nobody that I know that smokes it even drinks alcohol, much less uses harder drugs. 

I guess that's dependent on your experience. It's all dependent on what your experiences are with cannabis.

From what I've seen, it's pointless and stupid. Probably I only think that because I've only ever seen a few occasions where my housemates did it, and they looked like morons to be honest. They probably were doing it to "fit in", rather than use it as a come-down.

Each to their own, though. I accept I don't really know much about it myself.

1 hour ago, Adster said:

I guess that's dependent on your experience. It's all dependent on what your experiences are with cannabis.

From what I've seen, it's pointless and stupid. Probably I only think that because I've only ever seen a few occasions where my housemates did it, and they looked like morons to be honest. They probably were doing it to "fit in", rather than use it as a come-down.

Each to their own, though. I accept I don't really know much about it myself.

But you could argue the same about alcohol.

• Like 1

Just now, Finnaldo said:

But you could argue the same about alcohol.

I totally agree! I also don't drink and I also think getting drunk is pointless and stupid from my opinion. But it's each to their own, isn't it.

• Like 1

Guest BlueBrett

Not going to bore anyone with my life story but truth be told I have a habit/addiction that goes back 15 years and I must admit at times it has been a problem. Over that period I must have spent upwards of 50k on the stuff and in the past I've often prioritised picking up over making sure there's enough food in the fridge. There's no denying that all the smoking I've done has made an indelible mark on my personality and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Ambivalent I guess, same as most things! (I think that might be another symptom tbf) I like the fact that I'm chill and softly spoken but I'm probably overly introspective and i tend to feel a bit uncomfortable in large groups. Just can't be arsed at all to engage in classic lads banter  -maybe I'm over it, maybe I'm just jaded- and I get annoyed when people are unnecessarily loud in public. Wouldn't say im a recluse by any stretch but it's probably fair to say I'm prone to being a bit anti social..I mean I've spent the last god knows how many Saturday nights in a row getting high on my own at home (which is exactly what I do every other night anyway).

For me weed has been a kind of comfort blanket. Its a weapon against boredom and my own lack of imagination about how to fill my free time. Wouldn't say it engenders apathy as such, I do still care about things but it certainly makes it easier to turn a blind eye to my problems. I struggle to get out of bed every morning and I'm definitely a bit dopey for the first couple of hours at work although nobody has ever said anything. I also lose things all the time which is bloody annoying. All in all the cumulative impact has hit me hard in the brain, lungs and pocket and that's to say nothing of all the relationships I've either damaged or let slide as a direct result of being a stoner. I was with a girl for 9 years but we split up 18 months ago due largely to my refusal/inability to 'grow up' and I'm pretty sure the weed was a major factor in her forming this impression of me.

Having said all this, I still believe cannabis should be legal. The arguments for it are so well versed there's no point in me regurgitating them. I agree with virtually all of the economic, social, crimminal and public health lines and I feel that the availability of quality legal weed would also be beneficial to my own personal situation. I hate picking up, hate agonising over whether so and so will have anything in, hate feeling like an anti social scumbag, hate risking my career/livelihood on a daily basis and hate buying shit weed!

More than any of this though, I just do not recognise the authority of the government to tell me whether I may or may not smoke. I'm respectful and private about my smoking and whether it's good bad or indifferent for me it's my business and I reserve the right to make my own decisions about my private life, even if that means getting everything wrong, consistently underachieiving, smoking myself to an early grave and closing the show with a really poorly attended funeral.

3 minutes ago, Adster said:

I totally agree! I also don't drink and I also think getting drunk is pointless and stupid from my opinion. But it's each to their own, isn't it.

In that case are can't really argue with your stance!

In my case I've never smoked it but have plenty of friends who have and continue to. I think it should be legal, obviously with the restrictions and protection other substances get. That said, it should be noted that although it's argued it's not addicted it's easy to get into a routine or rout in which you're smoking almost every day and that can seriously affect your productivity. It happened to my friend and it took a serious shaking in his personal life to sort himself out, he's lucky he's at Uni where he could afford to be as slack or he could have been in serious trouble. Luckily though he's straightened out and whilst still smoking, it's in moderation.

I guess that's the thing, I likely won't ever smoke and I'm pro-legalisation, but I still think those who choose to smoke should be well aware of the issues you can develop on not necessarily an addiction but a routine that's hard to break. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Steven said:

As much as I feel sorry for anyone who has lost someone to this, it's complete bollocks to try and blame anything else, he died of a heroin overdose because he took heroin.

You can't absolve personal responsibility from your own life.

I'll probably die of something connected to alcohol and it will be no one's fault but my own if I do.

What if her sons had had adequate support around them to not turn to heroin in the first place? 

I know this is a crass generalisation but for the most part, happy people don't wind up on heroin anyway. You have to have come to a point in your life to take that road where you were probably going to find some way to fvck yourself up regardless. 

I get the "if it was legal it'd be safer" for party drugs, yknow, bit of E, coke, mdma whatever. Makes sense, make sure you're getting a pure product and enough education to use it responsibly. 

But in this day and age I don't think people seriously get in to heroin because it's fun and cool really do they? They get in to it because their lives are already shit. 

I'm probably being a bit unfair but still. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What if her sons had had adequate support around them to not turn to heroin in the first place? 

I know this is a crass generalisation but for the most part, happy people don't wind up on heroin anyway. You have to have come to a point in your life to take that road where you were probably going to find some way to fvck yourself up regardless. 

I get the "if it was legal it'd be safer" for party drugs, yknow, bit of E, coke, mdma whatever. Makes sense, make sure you're getting a pure product and enough education to use it responsibly. 

But in this day and age I don't think people seriously get in to heroin because it's fun and cool really do they? They get in to it because their lives are already shit. 

I'm probably being a bit unfair but still. 

Not sure about the "support" part, but let's be honest here, if you are the parent of a drug abuser, and you find out what they are doing and you do absolutely NOTHING to stop it, then you can't then blame anyone else when shit goes wrong. 

If I was caught with heroin at 18, my dad would have slapped me so hard I'd never think of touching the stuff again. This mum and dad just paid off the dealers, said nothing to anyone and then wondered how the problem wasn't magically fixed. 

I'm all for regulating and legalising drugs, but to blame the lack of regulation as the sole reason for a druggies death is nonsense. For all this "addiction" crap, it all starts out with a choice. 

3 hours ago, MattP said:

As much as I feel sorry for anyone who has lost someone to this, it's complete bollocks to try and blame anything else, he died of a heroin overdose because he took heroin.

I'll probably die of something connected to alcohol and it will be no one's fault but my own if I do.

Quite. When it comes to taking drugs the Government will not allow me to exercise personal responsibility.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2017 at 14:17, BlueBrett said:

Not going to bore anyone with my life story but truth be told I have a habit/addiction that goes back 15 years and I must admit at times it has been a problem. Over that period I must have spent upwards of 50k on the stuff and in the past I've often prioritised picking up over making sure there's enough food in the fridge. There's no denying that all the smoking I've done has made an indelible mark on my personality and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Ambivalent I guess, same as most things! (I think that might be another symptom tbf) I like the fact that I'm chill and softly spoken but I'm probably overly introspective and i tend to feel a bit uncomfortable in large groups. Just can't be arsed at all to engage in classic lads banter  -maybe I'm over it, maybe I'm just jaded- and I get annoyed when people are unnecessarily loud in public. Wouldn't say im a recluse by any stretch but it's probably fair to say I'm prone to being a bit anti social..I mean I've spent the last god knows how many Saturday nights in a row getting high on my own at home (which is exactly what I do every other night anyway).

For me weed has been a kind of comfort blanket. Its a weapon against boredom and my own lack of imagination about how to fill my free time. Wouldn't say it engenders apathy as such, I do still care about things but it certainly makes it easier to turn a blind eye to my problems. I struggle to get out of bed every morning and I'm definitely a bit dopey for the first couple of hours at work although nobody has ever said anything. I also lose things all the time which is bloody annoying. All in all the cumulative impact has hit me hard in the brain, lungs and pocket and that's to say nothing of all the relationships I've either damaged or let slide as a direct result of being a stoner. I was with a girl for 9 years but we split up 18 months ago due largely to my refusal/inability to 'grow up' and I'm pretty sure the weed was a major factor in her forming this impression of me.

Having said all this, I still believe cannabis should be legal. The arguments for it are so well versed there's no point in me regurgitating them. I agree with virtually all of the economic, social, crimminal and public health lines and I feel that the availability of quality legal weed would also be beneficial to my own personal situation. I hate picking up, hate agonising over whether so and so will have anything in, hate feeling like an anti social scumbag, hate risking my career/livelihood on a daily basis and hate buying shit weed!

More than any of this though, I just do not recognise the authority of the government to tell me whether I may or may not smoke. I'm respectful and private about my smoking and whether it's good bad or indifferent for me it's my business and I reserve the right to make my own decisions about my private life, even if that means getting everything wrong, consistently underachieiving, smoking myself to an early grave and closing the show with a really poorly attended funeral.

Hey man, i've been in the same spot too, there's ways to get better - realistic ones at that.

I've cut down a massive amount - i initially gave up for a decent while just on a wave of life changes, reworkings, splitting up with my girlfriend (who was really dragging me down) - the release from all that gave me enough momentum to have a few weeks without - and that made a massive difference for me. I made an effort to get around my family more, my sisters wedding is this weekend so been lots to get stuck into the past few weeks, it helped me realise that i do like smoking, however i enjoy it a lot more now when i have it less. Less is more.

Things have got a lot cheaper, i've got a balanced life, i enjoy the one smoke every now and then so much more than the numerous on a daily basis. Got a job interview next week as well so things are moving back in line. People might think it's odd this approach in someways, but i didn't just start smoking for no reason, i enjoyed it, just like how others enjoy a drink - so i'm in a much better place with my reality realigned back in a straighter manor.

Small steps is a good way to look at it, as long as you've got a few bits to go do outside of sitting at home it's possible, that cycle needs to be broken up briefly. It might help you feel a bit better about things - and a bit more engaged in the real world. Lots of support anyways man, it's difficult but possible!

On 8/4/2017 at 15:46, Innovindil said:

Not sure about the "support" part, but let's be honest here, if you are the parent of a drug abuser, and you find out what they are doing and you do absolutely NOTHING to stop it, then you can't then blame anyone else when shit goes wrong. 

If I was caught with heroin at 18, my dad would have slapped me so hard I'd never think of touching the stuff again. This mum and dad just paid off the dealers, said nothing to anyone and then wondered how the problem wasn't magically fixed. 

I'm all for regulating and legalising drugs, but to blame the lack of regulation as the sole reason for a druggies death is nonsense. For all this "addiction" crap, it all starts out with a choice. 

lollollol 

Most heroin addicts would pull their own teeth out for a fix, you think your dad giving you a thrashing would pull you off the stuff?

The only way to get addicts off that shite is serious support and rehab, and that requires them coming forward to receive help. However from what I've read and seen most are either too scared or too ashamed to come forward because it's stigma as a crime. The only solution I can see is for it to be seen for what it really is: an extreme addiction that requires serious rehab to recover from.

On 04/08/2017 at 15:14, MattP said:

Yes - you'll be urinating on a homeless person and he'll beat you death probably.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...