Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Legalise cannabis?

Legalise?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marijuana be legal?

• Yes
    • No

My next door neighbour is 83, with crippling arthritis, she grows her own (a strain with a high CBD content) and (only) because of that, she manages to live a normal, relatively pain-free life.

She thinks it's absolutely scandalous that she is denied what is an effective treatment, and that every day she risks acquiring a criminal record for daring to treat herself.

• Like 2

Weed is one of the only drugs of it's kind that grows naturally across the planet and is effective without some form of extraction process / manipulative growing. 

It has proven medicinal properties.

To think that we've gone out of our way to ban and criminalise a plant that was put on this earth to help us is incredible really. 

Maybe 40 years ago when we knew less, perhaps we didn't understand the science but to persevere with this line of thinking with the knowledge we have now is pure stubbornness. 

I'm inclined to think that big pharma probably has a massive say in this country - considering they're most likely very deep in the pockets of our politicians.

I mean who will buy all of the expensive opiate painkillers, the cancer drugs, the epilepsy drugs and treatments when everyone realises marijuana / CBD is a viable solution without the addiction and the cost? 

Edited by daz*dsb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Is there anybody on here that doesn't smoke cannabis but would if it were legal?

I ask because I suspect the proportion of the population that would like to try drugs but don't want to do anything illegal is not large

I might do if it were legal but would probably do it a few times a year. I can't imagine there are many potential "problem" users out there who are put off by prohibition.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I might do if it were legal but would probably do it a few times a year. I can't imagine there are many potential "problem" users out there who are put off by prohibition.

Exactly.   And if anybody buys the gateway argument because a lot of people who take hard drugs tried weed first you should take the time to consider that close to 100% of cannabis users drank alcohol first so you'll have to get rid of that too if you want to be consistent in your logic.

As has been covered already the only reason there appears to be a link is because the sort of person who takes an interest in weed for recreational purposes is clearly already inclined to experimenting with new mind-altering substances.  In my experience most people find the low-key, generally comedown-free buzz of cannabis far more preferable as a regular experience to the more extreme states caused by harder chemicals and the associated downtime that ensues.  I dabbled in harder chemicals in my late teens but no drugs aside from weed and alcohol grab my interest these days, despite the guy I buy my grass from regularly showing off his collection of exotic chemicals

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

It's interesting to note that the posters with the least tolerance to legalization (and use in general) are largely Right-wing politically.

We care about others.

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Roughly translatable as "I know fvck all about both substance use and the secure estate."

Do yer reckon? Do you know what it's really like to be chased round by a chocolate biscuit, have you ever spent 10 minutes drinking a pint of lager and put down a full glass, have you ever seen a yorkshire terrier with a hundred legs, have you ever driven into a ditch at 5 miles an hour because you were concentrating on the windscreen wipers, have you ever had a bedroom window turn into a fish or experienced the delights of witches dancing around your head whilst your trying to get out of a maze with no exit. Gateway drug...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Do yer reckon? Do you know what it's really like to be chased round by a chocolate biscuit, have you ever spent 10 minutes drinking a pint of lager and put down a full glass, have you ever seen a yorkshire terrier with a hundred legs, have you ever driven into a ditch at 5 miles an hour because you were concentrating on the windscreen wipers, have you ever had a bedroom window turn into a fish or experienced the delights of witches dancing around your head whilst your trying to get out of a maze with no exit. Gateway drug...

The fact that you decided to indulge in acid isn't cannabis's fault - it's yours. Blaming alcohol would be a stronger gateway drug argument - something that actually impairs the decision making process... and users being sent to prison is a silly idea as they'll certainly become dependent on substances in jail!

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

The fact that you decided to indulge in acid isn't cannabis's fault - it's yours. Blaming alcohol would be a stronger gateway drug argument - something that actually impairs the decision making process... and users being sent to prison is a silly idea as they'll certainly become dependent on substances in jail!

and if it had led to cocaine and heroin it would also have been my fault, but i would still have ended up a druggie and that's why its a gateway drug. 

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

I wouldn't smoke it... But put it in a brownie or cookie and I am there!!

Plenty of great ways to enjoy weed without combustion. Vaporising is very popular these days with a variety of portable and desktop vaporizers available. It simply heats the material via convection or conduction and the THC in weed activates at about 150deg+. Many have adjustable temperature settings allowing you to change the type of high you experience - closer to 150 is a bit more heady, takes the edge off like a single beer and closer to 200 is more 'sit on the sofa and eat a whole bag or doritos whilst watching Seinfeld episodes b2b2b2b2b2b2b'. It's not all big spliffs and bongs anymore. 

Something for everyone! 

9 minutes ago, daz*dsb said:

Plenty of great ways to enjoy weed without combustion. Vaporising is very popular these days with a variety of portable and desktop vaporizers available. It simply heats the material via convection or conduction and the THC in weed activates at about 150deg+. Many have adjustable temperature settings allowing you to change the type of high you experience - closer to 150 is a bit more heady, takes the edge off like a single beer and closer to 200 is more 'sit on the sofa and eat a whole bag or doritos whilst watching Seinfeld episodes b2b2b2b2b2b2b'. It's not all big spliffs and bongs anymore. 

Something for everyone! 

Yep, definitely more than one way to skin a cat although this one isn't for me 

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/21/you-should-be-putting-weed-up-your-anus-instead-of-smoking-it-doctors-advise-6524139/

10 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Shandy's a gateway to liver disease. Sherry trifle too. 

Go on then, tell me one person in the history of mankind who when lying on his deathbed, blamed his parents for his failed liver as a result of eating sherry trifle when he was a kid.

2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Yep, definitely more than one way to skin a cat although this one isn't for me 

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/21/you-should-be-putting-weed-up-your-anus-instead-of-smoking-it-doctors-advise-6524139/

Hah, funny you should mention that.

The walls of the anus are probably the most receptive part of the body for the quick ingestion of drugs. Not only does that area ingest the highest quantity of the active ingredients in the drug, it also does it the quickest.

Putting a pill up your bum used to be talked about quite a lot in the rave scene.

I have to say, a vaporiser is just fine for weed though tbf lol.  

4 minutes ago, daz*dsb said:

The walls of the anus are probably the most receptive part of the body for the quick ingestion of drugs. Not only does that area ingest the highest quantity of the active ingredients in the drug, it also does it the quickest.

Putting a pill up your bum used to be talked about quite a lot in the rave scene.

I'm guessing a tube of smarties would be overkill though ?

5 minutes ago, daz*dsb said:

I had a mate that had a phobia of swallowing pills, so when we were on the rave scene his inclusion in activities was slightly different. Fortunately he didn't need any assistance being on the same level :D 

Legalise ALL drugs.  Get proper information out there about the positive and negative side effects so people can make informed choices about their consumption. Tax them so that those that suffer the negative, long lasting side effects that create serious harm to their physical and mental health, can be cared for.

• Like 1

Bit bonkers that we're having a conversation about whether smoking a plant should be legal or not and whether the government should tax it. It's a plant ffs.

For everyone that says it's a gateway drug, what about all the people who have tried/smoke weed but haven't done anything else? I've smoked occasionally with friends for a few years now but have never really had an interest in pills or powders. I know plenty of people who are the same and most of the people I know who have done other things were anything but angels before they smoked weed.