Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

What if anything would stop you.......

Nothing specific for me, but I'm just slowly being turned off by the gradual eradication of everything that made me proud to call myself a Leicester supporter when I was younger.

The main reasons for me are... we have horrible soulless stadium sponsored by some company stationed halfway across the globe owned by men form whom this club is just a stocking filler, marketing men and safety officers at the club who wish they could completely replace the presence of lads in my age bracket with families who have more money than sense, being made to feel like a second class citizen because you demand to enjoy yourself your way at a game instead of accepting the top-down dictated "matchday experience" edict, a jazzed-up PHG to be "down wit da kidz", ticket prices, the "Premier League at all costs is all that matters" mentality of our moronic fans, ****ing funfairs outside the ground, Kevin Barclay, and the general despair that I don't see a reverse in these trends at all. Ever.

Non-league, trips abroad and Cup awaydays with City may well be the only things that keep me keen on football in the future.

Nothing specific for me, but I'm just slowly being turned off by the gradual eradication of everything that made me proud to call myself a Leicester supporter when I was younger.

The main reasons for me are... we have horrible soulless stadium sponsored by some company stationed halfway across the globe owned by men form whom this club is just a stocking filler, marketing men and safety officers at the club who wish they could completely replace the presence of lads in my age bracket with families who have more money than sense, being made to feel like a second class citizen because you demand to enjoy yourself your way at a game instead of accepting the top-down dictated "matchday experience" edict, a jazzed-up PHG to be "down wit da kidz", ticket prices, the "Premier League at all costs is all that matters" mentality of our moronic fans, ****ing funfairs outside the ground, Kevin Barclay, and the general despair that I don't see a reverse in these trends at all. Ever.

Non-league, trips abroad and Cup awaydays with City may well be the only things that keep me keen on football in the future.

It's for many of these reasons that I love going to watch Kettering as for me it's a 'purer' experience. Although even that's not the same since the club moved from Rocky Road to Nene Park. You haven't experienced a lack of atmosphere until you watch a team play in their now defunct local rival's den. Weird.

Change in my working pattern means I can't get a season ticket anymore but that doesn't mean I have stopped 'supporting' Leicester.

I think the only thing that would change that would be if we did a Wimbledon/MK Dons and moved. Even if we had a Phoenix club like AFC Wimbledon I'm sure I wouldnd have the same feelings as I do for the 'old' Leicester City.

Sitting next to Bernie

lol when i first returned in 2009... my first game in 15 years took my wife, her City suporting cousin and his Direby supporting wife. got to our seats...5 mins before kick off Bernie took his seat next to us.

he spent the next ten minutes abusing Warnnooockkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk... youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... carrnnnnnnnnnnnnnntttttttttt..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh... GRAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. (we were playing Direby)

Turned to the cousin sitting next to him and said "dont worry mate, i wont hurt you" :thumbup:

If anything... this was the best reason to come again :) If you want atmoshpere and the feeling of Filbo again... sit next to Bernie, all the sounds, sights and smells of the 70's

......actively (attending) supporting Leicester City Football Club, where would you draw the line or is there no line you wouldn't cross?

Eg.

Band as a permanent fixture at all home games playing non-stop music?

No games played on a Saturday @ 3pm?

Strictly enforced seating?

Further massive hikes in ticket prices?

Stadium name change to something stupid sounding e.g The Lady-boy Bowl :P

Kit colour change?

Name Change?

Relocation?

Or maybe there's something else that would impact on you and stop you going.

My line was crossed two season's ago - the cost of matches, the quality of football, foreign ownership, imbecilic buying strategies, piss poor manager selection/retention, ramping-up club debt, shocking salary payments, kit changes, matches being moved too frequently, dreadful treatment of the fans at matches and the experience of having to sit near morons wherever I was in the stadium (Lisa & davieG not included).

To my mind I still love Leicester City FC but I hate the club...it's not my team any longer, it's a badly run business and I can not love it anymore than I could express my devotion to Jeyes Glass Polish. Each and every time I have been to a match over the last two seasons I've left glad I didn't pay for the tickets and have no desire to rush back.

I do watch as many games as I can online but find myself doing other things at the same time such is the lack of grip they have on me.

While I totally agree with you Daggers , I think the same thing could be said about pretty much every club in the top flights .

The whole ethos of football is not so much about enjoying the game on the day , meeting new people in pubs and clubs up and down the country , but on a total tribal need to win and be successful mentality .

Success at Leicester city was always going to be a hit or miss affair in pretty much the same way as almost every other club , and no one set of supporters seemed to have an unshakeable belief that their team should have to win trophies .

Any success was accepted as a bonus .

Although there were teams that seemed more dominant , 20 years ago , they were never seen in the same way as the top 4 or 5 are now , We could compete to a degree with them , but nowadays there seems to be total dominance at the top , and the rest are now viewing success as a prolonged run in the top flight .

I don’t actually see much hope of it changing in the near future because it’s an unstoppable juggernaut imo , so I’m pretty much as resigned as you are to a few snatched games on line , and memories of when it was all seemed so different and so much better

Maybe it’s all rose tinted specs though .

While I totally agree with you Daggers , I think the same thing could be said about pretty much every club in the top flights .

Yep, I don't disagree for a minute.

My American mate watches college sports for a similar reason as I now prefer to watch non-league.

lack of effort/ambition would kill it for me. Whenever i walk away from a game and fell that we had no ideas and players gave up. that's when i feel like quitting.

Lost count of the number of times I felt like this way over the last 9 years or so.

Last season was the the first time I've not been to a single home game in 14 years.

......actively (attending) supporting Leicester City Football Club, where would you draw the line or is there no line you wouldn't cross?

Eg.

Band as a permanent fixture at all home games playing non-stop music?

No games played on a Saturday @ 3pm?

Strictly enforced seating?

Further massive hikes in ticket prices?

Stadium name change to something stupid sounding e.g The Lady-boy Bowl :P

Kit colour change?

Name Change?

Relocation?

Or maybe there's something else that would impact on you and stop you going.

Good thread this to be fair. I think pricing is playing a part and is for me, the absolute worst aspect of modern football in this country by a clear mile, absolutely no doubt about it I think.

Bayern Munich have a policy that they put making fans being able to afford the games above everything else. Leicester and majority of English clubs don't even consider this an issue, let alone do anything about it.

Strictly enforced seating at Leicester, meh, they'll never get the whole ground sat, absolutely simple as, if you're THAT bothered about standing up - you can, although something's got to be done because the rules are simply contradictory, inconsistent and absolutely stupid.

Saturday 3pm is becoming a treat almost which is a joke. I can accept games being moved for TV but some of them are just plain obscene, they also need to announce the TV games with the fixture lists, seeing as fans often make plans/book tickets for trains and then have that totally flushed down the shitter.

Kit colour is an extremely funny one, I never even considered it a reality until this Cardiff situation but it's scary, the reality is I'm blue forever and if Leicester were to change to red for example, our fans would still refer to us as blues and that's that.

The rest I can't be arsed going on about until I'm less tired.

My line was crossed two season's ago - the cost of matches, the quality of football, foreign ownership, imbecilic buying strategies, piss poor manager selection/retention, ramping-up club debt, shocking salary payments, kit changes, matches being moved too frequently, dreadful treatment of the fans at matches and the experience of having to sit near morons wherever I was in the stadium (Lisa & davieG not included).

To my mind I still love Leicester City FC but I hate the club...it's not my team any longer, it's a badly run business and I can not love it anymore than I could express my devotion to Jeyes Glass Polish. Each and every time I have been to a match over the last two seasons I've left glad I didn't pay for the tickets and have no desire to rush back.

I do watch as many games as I can online but find myself doing other things at the same time such is the lack of grip they have on me.

We'll never be pleased then. We have been crying out for years for some investerr, and now we moan abour the music being played on he pitch!

I totally agree with the point about the amount of games being moved from 3pm saturday kick offs. Do we really need that much footy on t.v.? Years ago you'd get a match on sunday and we'd sit down as a family and watch it. Now there is that much on I can't be bothered to watch it. I mean games like Wolves v fulham, think I'll mow the lawn.

I've probably gone the other way and its football on tv I've lost interest in.

I'd support city through any relegation! I wouldn't and I couldn't continue this love affair if we were no longer 'Leicester City Football Club' it just wouldn't be the same so I'd give up on football all together if our name changed! Actually, i guess I would watch the footie because I love football but I'd be a neutral forever more!!

I totally agree with the point about the amount of games being moved from 3pm saturday kick offs. Do we really need that much footy on t.v.? Years ago you'd get a match on sunday and we'd sit down as a family and watch it. Now there is that much on I can't be bothered to watch it. I mean games like Wolves v fulham, think I'll mow the lawn.

The same thing has happened to my dad, I guess it's an age thing! He remembers the 'good old days' when 'we would all gather around our TV's at 10am to start watching the FA cup final', football is a huge business now, TV coverage is only going to increase! I'd never complain I don't think....maybe I will in 10 years

The same thing has happened to my dad, I guess it's an age thing! He remembers the 'good old days' when 'we would all gather around our TV's at 10am to start watching the FA cup final', football is a huge business now, TV coverage is only going to increase! I'd never complain I don't think....maybe I will in 10 years

Your right and its such a shame as i think this saturation has taken something from the game. Do we really need Friday night matches, Saturday lunch and tea times with two or three following on Sunday before we finish with the Monday night game. Saturday evening you would know where your were in the table without having to work out were you will be once the fixtures had all been played.

I can remember one November when we were in the prem a friend who had missed the first game of the season turned to me and pointed out it was the first 3 Saturday 3pm kick off he had been too so far. ****ing November!

Football is a money pit. The players wages are extreme and the transfer fees ridiculous but Sky made it this way and as long as that particular goose keeps on laying the golden egg, clubs will have to continue feeding it with money provided, in the main, directly or indirectly from us, the run-of-the-mill fans, who expect LCFC to be able to afford a run in the Prem and to have the (expensive) upper-level players to achieve this.

People won't pay Sky to watch "ordinary" teams. Certainly not in the volume of subscribers needed to ensure Sky keepes chucking money in. So Sky pays huge amounts to the Prem clubs in order for them to buy the top players to maintain their position at the top of the pile. If Andy Carrol cost £50 million the knock on effect of that is agents of other, less "skillful", (I know, I know) players will negotiate inflated contracts and unless fans pay more in ticket prices and affiliated products the clubs like ours can't afford those players. (I know what I'm trying to say but it's not coming across very well)

I can't afford a season ticket and I rarely get to go to any games. When I do go it's a forgettable experience and it would only take an increase in the arrogance of the fvcking stewards to completely put me off.

The Thai owners. Completely ruined it for me. The matchday experience of Thai dancing before the game, the fairground etc ..... It's a football ground, we should be making it as hostile as possible for the visiting fans and players.

If we go up, it won't seem no where near as good as when we got promoted in '96 and '02 with MON and Adams respectively, as the amount we have spent we should be going up.

Band as a permanent fixture at all home games playing non-stop music? No. Wouldn't be for this idea but the idea is small-time and we already have a drum which doesn't bother me too much.

No games played on a Saturday @ 3pm? That wouldn't totally stop me but it'd limit me.

Strictly enforced seating? Said before that if you want to stand, you'll be able to. I don't rate our numbers standing at home (although I'm a hypocrite at the minute but intend to move) but they will never ever get our whole ground sat. Never.

Further massive hikes in ticket prices? Yes. This will eventually stop me. If things carry on like this.

Stadium name change to something stupid sounding e.g The Lady-boy Bowl? The stadium name is already fairly embarrassing so no. Lady-boy bowl lol nothing like that could happen.

Kit colour change? Said earlier but we'll always be blue no matter what people try and tell us, if our owners tried a red kit stunt we'd still be referred to as blues and I'd like to think we'd emphasise this.

Name Change? Again, no. Leicester Fosse would've been different I suppose, depends what sort of name change you're talking.

Relocation? Depends where we were relocated to. The clubs traditions are going down the pan anyway and have been for years so a lot of these would just be further kicks in the teeth. Very few of these would single handedly stop me going yet on the whole they might.

The whole ethos of football is not so much about enjoying the game on the day , meeting new people in pubs and clubs up and down the country , but on a total tribal need to win and be successful mentality .

Success at Leicester city was always going to be a hit or miss affair in pretty much the same way as almost every other club , and no one set of supporters seemed to have an unshakeable belief that their team should have to win trophies .

Any success was accepted as a bonus .

That is probably the most accurate thing that anybody has posted on this thread, and it is all through football, this sense that we should be winning things and if not then nothing else matters.

I have often said the performance is more important than the result, I would much rather watch a team give it their all and lose, but coming off the pitch proud in knowing that they lost to the better team, but not for want of trying, than see us never get out of 2nd gear and win without breaking a sweat, or just playing really negative cynical football and snatching a win.

This win or bust mentality has seen the demise of a number of clubs and a rise in the amount of booing and jeering and hate towards our own players. This weekend I went to the FA Trophy at Wembley, York vs Newport, I had a great time because I was there with my mates and we didn't really care about the result (one was from York and another was Welsh, so there was a bit of rivalry, I spent the whole game cheering on Ashley Chambers and repeatedly telling anyone who would listen that he was our youngest ever player).

If as fans we focussed on actually being a part of a club rather than on how successful that club was we would all be a lot happier.

That is probably the most accurate thing that anybody has posted on this thread, and it is all through football, this sense that we should be winning things and if not then nothing else matters.

I have often said the performance is more important than the result, I would much rather watch a team give it their all and lose, but coming off the pitch proud in knowing that they lost to the better team, but not for want of trying, than see us never get out of 2nd gear and win without breaking a sweat, or just playing really negative cynical football and snatching a win.

This win or bust mentality has seen the demise of a number of clubs and a rise in the amount of booing and jeering and hate towards our own players. This weekend I went to the FA Trophy at Wembley, York vs Newport, I had a great time because I was there with my mates and we didn't really care about the result (one was from York and another was Welsh, so there was a bit of rivalry, I spent the whole game cheering on Ashley Chambers and repeatedly telling anyone who would listen that he was our youngest ever player).

If as fans we focussed on actually being a part of a club rather than on how successful that club was we would all be a lot happier.

Nice one mate. I thought Ashley played pretty well setting up both of the York goals.

Play off final next Sunday too for York.

That'd be pretty mint. Proper grounds, proper supporters watching football the way it should be watched.

"I like goals, assists, impact, victory, success... but it seems many prefer badgekissing, glorious failures, hardworking nearly-men and gutsy losers."

"I like goals, assists, impact, victory, success... but it seems many prefer badgekissing, glorious failures, hardworking nearly-men and gutsy losers."

I think we'd all prefer " goals, assists, impact, victory, success" but we don't get to chose. We just pick our team and hope for the best.

Archived