Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Mills Gone, Pelts close

"The clubs have apparently agreed a figure of £2million for Mills, who was only at City for a season."

Didn't Celtic offer £3m?

No that's what we wanted but they refused. I hope to god that they are paying 100% of his wages in this agreement.

I was wondering about the wages in this deal as well. I've not seen any details on it yet. We can probably expect a couple of season long loans at City when we get close to our spending limit so maybe we'll only be paying part of their wages so it'll probably even itself out. NP knows what he's doing

We asked for £3m, they went elsewhere.

No that's what we wanted but they refused. I hope to god that they are paying 100% of his wages in this agreement.

Ahh alright! And I should say they are, or paying most of them otherwise we wouldn't of accepted it since Pearson wants to cut the wage bill

Mills had a clause in his contract on appearences. Has this got something to do with it as well?

Not sure how much and how many appearences but surely that saves us a couple of million alone. I just hope pearson has guaranteed players coming or we are very short.

Is morgan good enough?

St ledger got plenty of experience at euro 2012 against world class opposition

Is morgan good enough?

On the evidence so far, for me he is.

St ledger got plenty of experience at euro 2012 against world class opposition

Experience of getting run ragged. Was like watching him against Millwall all over again.

I had high hopes for Matt Mills when he joined. I thought the fee was too high, but after seeing him for Reading and Doncaster Rovers, I really did think he would be a commanding centre back at this level. I stated last year I didn't agree with him becoming Captain, but his performances on TV for Reading, and especially against us over the last few years, made me believe he would be essential. However, his performances made me change my opinion. Some silly red cards when Sven was here, and then this rumour about a bust up with Pearson was always going to be the final straw. His attitude doesn't appear to be good enough, especially for a 'Captain', at least St Ledger got his head down and worked hard to get back into the team.

I'm not sad that Mills is leaving, he can be another person's problem for a short time. He will be back next year unless Bolton think he is worthy of the agreed price.

On the other hand, I'm unsure about Peltier. A lot of opposition goals did come through him, either down his side or at his back post down the other side, but I thought he would at least sit in as a squad player. The £350,000 fee is a little short of my expecations, but if only one team bids, what is the point in keeping him?

Nigel Pearson was a solid centre back throughout his career, so I'm not going to argue with the decisions. I have faith in Wes Morgan and Sean St Ledger at centre back, I just hope we have enough cover.

I had high hopes for Matt Mills when he joined. I thought the fee was too high, but after seeing him for Reading and Doncaster Rovers, I really did think he would be a commanding centre back at this level. I stated last year I didn't agree with him becoming Captain, but his performances on TV for Reading, and especially against us over the last few years, made me believe he would be essential. However, his performances made me change my opinion. Some silly red cards when Sven was here, and then this rumour about a bust up with Pearson was always going to be the final straw. His attitude doesn't appear to be good enough, especially for a 'Captain', at least St Ledger got his head down and worked hard to get back into the team.

I'm not sad that Mills is leaving, he can be another person's problem for a short time. He will be back next year unless Bolton think he is worthy of the agreed price.

On the other hand, I'm unsure about Peltier. A lot of opposition goals did come through him, either down his side or at his back post down the other side, but I thought he would at least sit in as a squad player. The £350,000 fee is a little short of my expecations, but if only one team bids, what is the point in keeping him?

Nigel Pearson was a solid centre back throughout his career, so I'm not going to argue with the decisions. I have faith in Wes Morgan and Sean St Ledger at centre back, I just hope we have enough cover.

Agree with pretty much all of that. Especially about Peltier. I was saying all last season on the Orange boards that he was always out of position too far up the pitch. As a result, we were always being caught out on the break down his side. Konch tended to stay behind his winger so he was usually able to cover his own position on a breakaway while Peltier was usually up by the corner flag. It might have helped if we'd had strikers who didn't keep losing the ball but we didn't so he should have stayed behind and inside his winger, let the winger do the wingers job and covered his own position

Guest MattP

If they go fine but i'm sick of making such a loss

Peltier 750k > 350k

Mills 3.5 m > Loan or 1.5 m

You should expect to make a loss if you allow yourself to considerably pay over the odds.

Unfortunately our fans werent complaining last year when they were happy to see these ridiculous fees being shelled out for players (though I admit I think most thought it was all coming out of Top's pocket rather than in loans to the club at the time)

If they go fine but i'm sick of making such a loss

Peltier 750k > 350k + £520k+ saved if he's on as little as £5k a week

Mills 3.5 m > Loan or 1.5 m + £3.9m+ saved in wages and bonuses if he's on £25,000.

That £350K fee really annoys me.. I don't care if he had a bad season We should still want at least £500-£600K minimum

Well if he had a bad season, then people aren't going to pay close to what we paid are they?

Would someone pay £45 million for Torres after the season he had? Would they pay £32 million for Carroll? We overpaid.

I agree with the decision to allow these players to leave - I'm not happy with the losses we're sustaining though. I cannot see the wisdom in allowing Mills to go to Bolton on loan. I bet Coyle and Gartside can't believe it.

I hope we've got some bloody good players to come in. I'll admit I'm getting a little nervous now as this looks a little bit like a fire sale. Bamba for less than a Mill? Pelts for less than half of what we paid for him? Something's up somewhere along the line. Maybe it was Sven's stupid spending in the first place.

I agree with the decision to allow these players to leave - I'm not happy with the losses we're sustaining though. I cannot see the wisdom in allowing Mills to go to Bolton on loan. I bet Coyle and Gartside can't believe it.

I hope we've got some bloody good players to come in. I'll admit I'm getting a little nervous now as this looks a little bit like a fire sale. Bamba for less than a Mill? Pelts for less than half of what we paid for him? Something's up somewhere along the line. Maybe it was Sven's stupid spending in the first place.

I don't think there's any 'maybe' about it mate.

Sven AND the Board appear to have made some ridiculous decisions last season and it seems that they were pretty much banking on going straight up.

Matt Mills in terms of transfer fees and supposed wages is looking now as it was a bit of bad business right up there with the acquisition of Akinbyi.

The chickens, it would appear, are coming home to roost.

NP is taking some massive gambles. Let's hope they come off.

I can only assume he has some quality signings up his sleaves

Well if he hasn't then God knows how the bookies are making us promotion favourites?

The off setting of Mills I can understand. The sale of Bamba I have mixed views about.

Even the sale of Peltier I can just about accept, although I think the supposed price is derisory.

But perhaps getting rid of Konchesky... That I don't get? Financially maybe, but in terms of on-the-field playing personnel? No

He was one of our best players last season... Just go back and look at the 'player of the season thread'... Kasper, Nuge and Konch regularly mentioned, with the latter bringing up the rear.

Archived