Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Basil Brush

What Position is essential?

Where to improve the squad?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What position are we in most need of?

• Keeper
    • Left back
    • Right back
    • Centre half
    • Left wing
    • Right wing
    • Centre midfield Defend
    • Centre midfield Attack
    • Striker Target man
    • Striker Pace

I have gone for left wing, we need better players out wide, we won't get anywhere with Gallagher, Marshall and Dyer. We need a quality winger to go with Marshall on the other wing.

A centre back is also needed, think we need a new striker just Nugent, Beckford and Vardy isn't strong enough, think Schlupp and Harry P will be loaned out, still think Waghorn maybe loaned or sold aswell.

Then either a right-back to replace Peltier or another central midfielder, yes people have said why do we need another one for, but Wellens is injured, King was poor last season, Drinkwater not a fan of him, James we will see and Danns is crucial this season I reckon.

But we needed a goalscoring central midfielder, someone who can attack and create chances, Koren would be perfect.

So still think we need 4 more signings, three positions are essential and that's centre back, wing and striker.

Target Man. We can't hold the ball up with Nugent and Beckford, it was obvious last season. Kasper launches it too long, the strikers don't hold it and the ball comes back. I haven't ever seen Vardy play, he looks like a big lad. Perhaps he is a target man, but we do need one.

I also think we need a left midfielder to replace Dyer.

I dont think JACE was saying it was essential to improve GK at all, though. That's why he put in the second line about us being in need of CM.

Goalkeeper, in general, IS the most essential position on the pitch (JACE's point). However, it's one of the positions which (thankfully) isn't essential for us to improve, and I don't think anybody is disputing that...

Ok I take that on board

I dont see the absolute need for a target man upfront.

We have 4/5 good strikers already, 2 of which have already proven they can cause problems to most Championship defences.

Not all teams have a target man, its not essential.

We basically need at least 1 centre back and a wide player..... Simples!

We could get a defensive midfielder but at least one would need to go first.

We have 4/5 good strikers already, 2 of which have already proven they can cause problems to most Championship defences.

This.

The strikers we have, especially Beckford, Nugent, Waghorn and Schlupp, are all the same-type player/striker. Yes they can cause problems, but none of them can hold the ball up... Last season was a prime example, and even England at Euro 2012 highlighted that, the ball keeps coming back because our 4/5 strikers can't hold up the ball.

Yeah, not all teams have them, but most do, especially teams that play more direct like we will/do.

The strikers we have, especially Beckford, Nugent, Waghorn and Schlupp, are all the same-type player/striker. Yes they can cause problems, but none of them can hold the ball up... Last season was a prime example, and even England at Euro 2012 highlighted that, the ball keeps coming back because our 4/5 strikers can't hold up the ball.

Yeah, not all teams have them, but most do, especially teams that play more direct like we will/do.

I agree to a point but Nugent can hold a ball.... as can Waghorn as he proved a few seasons ago when he replaced Fryatt while playing under NP.

Spain didnt play with a hold up player. They played football through the middle and got full backs bombing on. Yes thats an extreme example but the old fashioned 'hold up' striker isnt that necessary now, it just gives a different option. There was many games last season where Beckford and Nugent tore teams to bits plus with addition of Vardy, that can only be good

Also dont see the absolute need for a centre mid....

James is unproven but looks like he could be a gem, Danns will be a big player for us and Drinkwater is improving and will be quality.

Yes King had an average season by his standards as did Wellens but bit harsh to write both off, particularly King.

NP will not buy any more centre mids unless he sells one.

I know people mention a tough holding midfielder but not always essential either as West Ham proved last season and Swansea the season before

I went for Centre Half. We now only have two (with maybe De Laet for cover). I personally think the defence is the key to a successful side. Look at Reading and QPR the year before. They were the tightest defences in the league and they both ended up winning it. There were teams that scored more than them, but they still ended up the league winners.

After that I still think we could do with a Defensive Midfielder, for the same reasons above, if we don't concede goals, I think we can do very well.

Finally a target man striker. I think someone like Ricky Lambert would be fantastic. I actually think that Kevin Davies will do really well in this league, maybe he's even an outsider to finish top scorer. I like the combination of big man/small man up front, a bit like when we had Deane and Dickov. So I think a good target man could be the key to us scoring more goals as well.

If we could get these 3 strong physical players to add to the ones we already have, we certainly shouldn't be out muscled like we have been in recent seasons. I think those are pretty much all we need to challenge for a top 2 spot. They need to be quality in the position though, not just bodies for bodies sake.

I went for Centre Half. We now only have two (with maybe De Laet for cover). I personally think the defence is the key to a successful side. Look at Reading and QPR the year before. They were the tightest defences in the league and they both ended up winning it. There were teams that scored more than them, but they still ended up the league winners.

After that I still think we could do with a Defensive Midfielder, for the same reasons above, if we don't concede goals, I think we can do very well.

Finally a target man striker. I think someone like Ricky Lambert would be fantastic. I actually think that Kevin Davies will do really well in this league, maybe he's even an outsider to finish top scorer. I like the combination of big man/small man up front, a bit like when we had Deane and Dickov. So I think a good target man could be the key to us scoring more goals as well.

If we could get these 3 strong physical players to add to the ones we already have, we certainly shouldn't be out muscled like we have been in recent seasons. I think those are pretty much all we need to challenge for a top 2 spot. They need to be quality in the position though, not just bodies for bodies sake.

I must admit, we do need to be more physical. Thats something NP said he'd sort at the end of last season so i'd expect a few more signings yet

True, but I can't think of too many forwards of that height who have been successful as a target man. Cannavaro is probably the exception to the rule and the continental game is somewhat more technical than the hoofball that is played in the Championship at times, so he may not come up against the Steve Howard type forward that often. It also suggests Vardy can play as a winger - I'm not surethat a target man and winger have similar qualities.

when things are not going as planned sometiimes you need to change it, changing a like for like striker wont always have an effect.

and if vardy is used more out wide, schulpp out on loan, leaves nugent n becks as main strikers, and waghorn as sub.. not enough imo..

when things are not going as planned sometiimes you need to change it, changing a like for like striker wont always have an effect.

and if vardy is used more out wide, schulpp out on loan, leaves nugent n becks as main strikers, and waghorn as sub.. not enough imo..

What about young Tom Hopper?

True, but I can't think of too many forwards of that height who have been successful as a target man. Cannavaro is probably the exception to the rule and the continental game is somewhat more technical than the hoofball that is played in the Championship at times, so he may not come up against the Steve Howard type forward that often. It also suggests Vardy can play as a winger - I'm not surethat a target man and winger have similar qualities.

yeah fair play he probably hasn't been brought it for that role, was just saying not to right him off for anything for his height alone. your right though Cannavaro was an exception, it was all down to how high he could jump much like Tim Cahill And in fairness I can remember Cannavaro getting absolutely pummelled by Bobby Zamora in a uefa cup game, however he was way past his best at that point.

Hopper is in the same mould as the other strikers.

Have you seen him play for the academy/reserves? Because while I've only seen him the once against Swindon he looked more than capable of doing the role that Howard has been used in. :dunno:

Have you seen him play for the academy/reserves? Because while I've only seen him the once against Swindon he looked more than capable of doing the role that Howard has been used in. :dunno:

Fouling people and shouting at the officials?

Archived