Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Beckford - will he go or will he stay?

That would be a plain stupid thing to do. Firstly you're selling to a rival and secondly who would you replace him with, who is a PROVEN regular goalscorer at this level who wouldn't cost millions ? West Ham probably want to offload Maynard, who we bid crazy money for this time last year, but he hardly set the world on fire there and there is no one else who immediately springs to mind as a replacement.

If we didn't get anyone that leaves us with Futacs, definitely unproven, Schlupp, who's still learning, or, and I scare myself when I say this, Waghorn who was good in League One Championship, what, three years ago.

Stick with what we've got and look at the way we play to get the best out of the strikers we have because we clearly aren't doing that at the moment.

Edited for you.

Beckford back with Larry Grayson then, no surprise, bet he will bag loads lol

That would be a plain stupid thing to do. Firstly you're selling to a rival and secondly who would you replace him with, who is a PROVEN regular goalscorer at this level who wouldn't cost millions ? West Ham probably want to offload Maynard, who we bid crazy money for this time last year, but he hardly set the world on fire there and there is no one else who immediately springs to mind as a replacement.

If we didn't get anyone that leaves us with Futacs, definitely unproven, Schlupp, who's still learning, or, and I scare myself when I say this, Waghorn who was good in League One, what, three years ago.

Stick with what we've got and look at the way we play to get the best out of the strikers we have because we clearly aren't doing that at the moment.

Waghorn didn't play for us in League One, he came on loan the following season, helping us into the play-offs. He hasn't had much of a chance since. As well as the Beckford to Huddersfield rumour there's also a Gallagher to Huddersfield rumour. They can have them both for 3mil as far as i'm concerned. Let's have some players who produce consistently for a change

A replacement for Beckford? We have Vardy, Nooge, Waggy, Schlupp, Futacs, and Knocky prefers playing up front I believe than on the wing...

Yes, as that's only two players I would currently trust. And one of them it's only based on three games, and we know from history that's not long enough.

Whilst I agree... 16 league goals last year can't really be sniffed at in a team that created and scored fewer chances / goals than most in the league.

I understand what you are saying but he is no better than Nugent on the evidence I have seen, he is very similar to him by all accounts, if we sell Beckford I would hope we would get a striker with pace and that can find the back of the net on a consistent basis probably the most difficult thing we could do with out any money, unless Walsh senior has a gem lined up or two.

I understand what you are saying but he is no better than Nugent on the evidence I have seen, he is very similar to him by all accounts, if we sell Beckford I would hope we would get a striker with pace and that can find the back of the net on a consistent basis probably the most difficult thing we could do with out any money, unless Walsh senior has a gem lined up or two.

Well replacing him with someone who scored 7 more league goals is a step forward for a stater. Buying someone who can score on a consistent basis in this league will cost a fortune. Rhodes is costing a bomb and he's done nothing in this league.

Who knows, there a people out there.

Lets be completely honest though, if he does go and we have to get in a replacement Pearson will not sign any of the players we want at Leicester as he isn't that type of manager....

Fryatt would not suprise me at all, hopefully he pulls something out the bag but getting rid of Beckford without a replacement as good if not better to a rival is a bad move for us!

Funny how the Beckford to Huddersfield thread has 4 pages with only fourth official saying he expects them to look at him. Where as the Gally thread, which local yorkshire radio having reported on is alot quieter. People love an unsubstantiated panic on here!

Waghorn is not good enough, and I doubt he ever will be. Schlupp is not good enough yet, but could be one day. Futacs is not up to first team yet, but maybe regular bench as the season progresses. If Beckford goes, we will need at least one replacement, but only one if we play 4-3-3, or a variation, where the front three would include:- Knockaert, Marshall, Nugent, Vardy, one other, maybe Futacs and Dyer as further choices.

Then a midfield trio from:- Drinkwater, King, James ( who I think is shaping up well ), a new one, and Danns the way he can be. Marshall could be included in the front three or the midfield three if necessary.

I still do not like 4-4-2.

Only thing that bugs me slightly about is is why he started the season. If he was always going to leave why not start with Nuge and Vardy, assuming they're first choice, give them confidence and let their partnership develop. Surely he's well known enough to not have to put him in the shop window.

Archived