Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danno

Physical presence

Really starting to think our inconsistency is caused by a lack of physicality in the team, especially in away games. We have very little height or strength throughout the starting XI, apart from Futacs. Probably one of the reasons why we get dominated in midfield so often?

To be fair not many teams have the physical strength of the stoke of the championship (wolves).

But it doesnt help when going forward either. Why NP believed we would score goals today by playing the ball wide and crossing into nuge and vardy is stupid.

Johnson, Berra and stearman will take that all day. Get futacs on, and play vardy left wing, nugent right, marshall at center forward, and james and drinky holding.

Some of us were calling for this all summer but for one reason or another it never happened.

We don't have a physical ball winner, we also don't have a main source of creativity. Instead of having all these box to box midfielders (King, Danns, Drinkwater, James, Wellens - they're all much of a muchness with Danns being the stand out) the main objective should have been to secure a creative midfielder, I can't see Pearson signing Koren or a player that offers this with the abundance of average central midfielders already at the club,

Dyer needs replacing ASAP but again, can't see Pearson doing it. It's effort and endeavour over class now.

To be fair not many teams have the physical strength of the stoke of the championship (wol

But it doesnt help when going forward either. Why NP believed we would score goals today by playing the ball wide and crossing into nuge and vardy is stupid.

Johnson, Berra and stearman will take that all day. Get futacs on, and play vardy left wing, nugent right, marshall at center forward, and james and drinky holding.

Nugent right wing? Marshall center forward ?? How about Kasper at left back and beckford partnering Waghorn at centre back? Let's see how many players we can play out of position that will win us games.

for the record we haven't been dominated in midfield, we have missed a lot of chances has had a few to many sloppy moments in the back line. Moore is young and still learning his trade so unfortunately this is going to happen. A fully fit Whitbread could solve this problem. After a summer of transfer speculation Konchesky has looked shakey, hopefully his goal will give him confidence.

Leaving us only needing to put the ball in the back of the net. I am not sure if we can get players with more ability than Beckford, Nugent, Vardy and Waghorn at this level. Confidence seems to be the issue. We need to stick with a pair and build up there confidence.

A strong defensive midfielder would've been largely superfluous today. We didn't lose because we couldn't get the ball off of them. In fact, they were probably as guilty as we were of gifting possession. We needed someone who could actually make pretty straight-forward passes, but too often we threw it away under little pressure. Whether that was down to a lack of ability or just mental focus gone astray, I can't really say. Judging by the improvement in the second half, I suspect it was the latter. No doubt we might need a strong tackler in the middle of the park on other days, but today wasn't one of them I'd argue.

A strong defensive midfielder would've been largely superfluous today. We didn't lose because we couldn't get the ball off of them. In fact, they were probably as guilty as we were of gifting possession. We needed someone who could actually make pretty straight-forward passes, but too often we threw it away under little pressure. Whether that was down to a lack of ability or just mental focus gone astray, I can't really say. Judging by the improvement in the second half, I suspect it was the latter. No doubt we might need a strong tackler in the middle of the park on other days, but today wasn't one of them I'd argue.

The improvement in the 2nd half coincided with their big strong midfielder going off injured.

Suddenly we had more time and space and didn't have to track his runs.

The improvement in the 2nd half coincided with their big strong midfielder going off injured.

Suddenly we had more time and space and didn't have to track his runs.

DD had already improved by then, and Knockaert was already doing damage so I don't think it was down to that, although it certainly made life in the middle of the park easier as you suggest.

Either you match the opposition players at something or you beat them by doing something else. Fine, we were always going to be outmuscled by that Wolves side, but did we outclass them? Did we pull their defenders all over the place, work the (crap) goalkeeper with good shots, beat them for pace, beat them for skill? The answer is we didn't.

We weren't going to win any headers from crosses or otherwise, so why did we persist in putting in crosses, why did Kasper keep booting it long? Why didn't we have enough about us to play through them?

And why when we kept doing these things did we not at least bring Futacs on?

I'd like to ask Nigel these questions, it's what he needs to be asking himself. Our squad obviously lacks certain kinds of players.

Either you match the opposition players at something or you beat them by doing something else. Fine, we were always going to be outmuscled by that Wolves side, but did we outclass them? Did we pull their defenders all over the place, work the (crap) goalkeeper with good shots, beat them for pace, beat them for skill? The answer is we didn't.

We weren't going to win any headers from crosses or otherwise, so why did we persist in putting in crosses, why did Kasper keep booting it long? Why didn't we have enough about us to play through them?

And why when we kept doing these things did we not at least bring Futacs on?

I'd like to ask Nigel these questions, it's what he needs to be asking himself. Our squad obviously lacks certain kinds of players.

Exactly...... :thumbup:

We did none of these things because we insisted in trying to take Wolves on man to man. Their physicality put us under pressure so our passing game fell apart (1st half) and we went long with predictable results.

We needed to be tighter and more compact in midfield, at least one extra player so we could hang onto the ball and run Wolves big men into the floor, but we tried to take them on one on one without cover and without support and were made to pay.

Archived