Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oadby Fox

Beckford told: Prove to me you're worthy

I think people need to get off on the league/cup goals argument as the ones that still rate him will use the cup goals to justify their side and the anti fans will discount them to justify their side.

The question for me is whether you think he has proved value for money or not. He undoubtedly has a talent there. We have all seen it and has all the attributes to be a top striker, certainly in this division. The problem for me (and I defended him numerous times) is that he does not put enough effort in. I am not talking about chasing around Ian Hume style but he does not seem to care enough. It is not so much a bad attitude he has more just a non-plus one.

He has been a failure as he was bought to be the pivotal striker to take us up but has massively under-achieved when you think how much we paid for him and the wages he is on. I really want him to do well but he has had enough chances imo and just has not done anywhere near enough to warrant being that pivotal striker he was bought for.

Anyway looks like Leeds will be taken over sooner rather than later and I guess he can then go back to his spiritual home and be adored again. Be a good move for all 3 parties and they should have the money to give him an acceptable offer albeit probably less than he is on now.

It's not even down to value for money it's whether by his performances on the pitch, his attitude to training and his 'fit' into the team tactics/style of play means he should be in the squad instead of one of the other forwards.

Pearson, who sees him much closer than we do, who determines the tactics/style of play obviously thinks he shouldn't.

I would like to see him running onto some of Knockys amazing thru balls but i think he's had too many chances now.

I hate that term "lover" when people try and defend one of there own players. (I'm neither a lover or a hater by the way.)

Well at this moment in time Nugent shouldn't be dropped, so if he went out wide Beckford up top we would miss Vardy.

Vardy has been making the runs for Knockaert, unfortunately I'm struggling to remembering at any point saying Beckford has been making lots of runs today.

If we play the 3 up top we need to press high up the pitch like we did against hull and burnley second half, again I just don't see it from him. He's frustrating to watch and I would rather us free up his wages and either put that towards another player or use our other options.

I also hate the word lover too, I shouldn't have put that but Pearson has won 2/2 in a new system and deserves praise. We can't play everyone. I don't hate beckford and never have wanted him to fail. He has had his chance and I would much rather keep the young lads happy who are the future of our club.

I was speaking to a Derby fan at work about Beckford saga,and he reckons its the same scenario as when Dean Sturridge played for them.

Very good striker.. but as soon as he was given a big contract he was not the same player

Not saying Beckford is any different ..but may be he is earning that much and is made for life.. that his love for the game its not there no more.

Beckford = very poor ROI

Beckford = questionable attitude

Beckford = non delivery of his remit/so called forte..... goal scoring

Beckford = all hype no substance

IMO some players do not fit certain clubs JB does not fit ours! I also feel he won't be a prolific scorer anywhere he goes unless its League1 as I just think he's not really that good.The only way to find that out is when he leaves and for me that can't come soon enough.

Good question, putting aside his vastly superior work rate and team effort, lets look at their games to goals ratio, unfortunately not the greatest of samples so far on Vardys part as he has only played 7/8 games.

League

Beckford 4.33

Vardy 3.5

League and Cup

Beckford 2.93

Vardy 2.66

Do you tongue vardy's ring piece!!! vardy this vardy that!!

tbh vardy should be on 6 or 7 goals already some of his chances he has had!!!

if jermaine had missed them!!!

Also i hope we keep beckford 15 goals aint the worst return in the world i have seen worse at leicester over the years.

Maybe we should keep him get to the play off semi and he scores the winner oh wait it wouldn't count babs etc wouldn't celebrate it!!

i was hoping from more becks when he signed and he has been hit and miss but that is football i think he should be given another chance as he may think right act together jermaine going to knuckle down and get my act together on my last chance here.

who was the last leicester player to get 20 goals at this level?

Do you tongue vardy's ring piece!!! vardy this vardy that!!

tbh vardy should be on 6 or 7 goals already some of his chances he has had!!!

if jermaine had missed them!!!

Could you please tell me where I have gone on about Vardy, seriously I would absolutely love you to find them. Please waste your time and look because you will have a very long night.

The post you quoted was in reply to someone in a way asking why Vardy hadn't been dropped for Beckford. The stats show exactly why he hasn't been, do you have a problem with that.... I even included cup goals for the Beckford cup goal fans.

If Jermaine had missed them, but improved upon last years strike rate and also worked his balls of the team I would be pleasantly pleased and surprised.

Also i hope we keep beckford 15 goals aint the worst return in the world i have seen worse at leicester over the years.

When you get your tongue out of Beckfords ring piece (I can say that because you did), you will realise there may be some with worse records, but they won't have been so costly.

Maybe we should keep him get to the play off semi and he scores the winner oh wait it wouldn't count babs etc wouldn't celebrate it!!

What on earth are you talking about, how old are you?

Debate between the merits of Vardy and Beckford as a striker for our club don't even get to first base for me because there's no comparison between the two.

Vardy is an excellent centre-forward but far more than that he is an outstanding and tireless team player and a seemingly natural partner to Nugent or anyone else with an 'appeth of intelligence.

Vardy's not only scored goals, had a goal unjustly disallowed and been in the position to miss some really good opportunities but he's been utterly selfless and time and again he's fed a potential chance for himself to a colleague he considers to be in a better position.

On top of that he chases people down with enthusiasm often putting them under sufficient pressure to force a possession-losing clearance and he never stops making dangerous runs or taking up threatening positions for the benefit of himself and others.

Vardy might make the same mistakes every centre-forward makes at times but he never draws his wages on false pretences. The bloke's a 100 per center. I'd have him my team any time and I'm quite sure most of his team-mates feel just the same.

In contrast i mentioned very early on how often Beckford seems to ignore the runs of better-placed players to the point where you could understand em not bothering to make em.

He's one of the worst centre-forwards I've seen for holding up the ball, his close control is so clumsy at times and it's as if he plays the game as an individual rather than a team player which means that, if he isn't scoring, he's almost always a disappointment.

I don't care what he might be with other managers or at another club. What I've seen of him here is not what I'd ever dream of paying £34,000 a week for or even a tenth of that.

I love flair players and talented individuals but you need everyone to lend a hand when you're in football's equivalent of the trenches because that's how you win the games you might not look like winning.

Sadly, Beckford seems like the last blade I'd want in the trenches.

Archived