Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The Long Championship Season

We are doing really well so far this season. I hold my hands up and admit better than I expected.

But it's a really long season. The winter looms with some wetter pitches and the probable likelihood of picking up injuries.

If we get injuries to our better players (eg. Knocky, Drinky and Wes and Nuge) have we got the calibre of player to replace them in the squad?

Is this squad ok how it is or do people think Nige should really go for it (given our great start) and add more players in January?

Personally, I think that Danns/James could replace Drinky if needed. And Waggy/Schlupp could come in for Nuge.

But what about Wes? If he gets injured I think we'd have a tough job on to replace him.

Have we got a good enough SQUAD or do you think Pearson will be looking at reinforcing? Should he, or not?

Opinions please.

I think Nig is trying to build a squad mentality even though the team is picking itself at the moment. I think if you look at some teams we have a solid enough squad to meet the demands. we are playing well and i think confidence breeds results. Given a good run of games i think we have a number of players who could do a job if required.

There's always the loan market if things get particularly worrying!

We will invariably hit a spot of bother at least once or twice this season and I expect Nigel to react accordingly. He's always used the loan market to good effect and although our squad might seem a little small right now, we're still in a position where we can get players back who are on loan or we can make loan signings ourselves and I like that.

We have a squad capable of what Mr Pearson intended, one that can challenge for promotion.

If we are in that position in Jan I fully expect him to add 1 or 2 players to give us that final bit of class to push for automatic.

We are doing really well so far this season. I hold my hands up and admit better than I expected.

But it's a really long season. The winter looms with some wetter pitches and the probable likelihood of picking up injuries.

If we get injuries to our better players (eg. Knocky, Drinky and Wes and Nuge) have we got the calibre of player to replace them in the squad?

Is this squad ok how it is or do people think Nige should really go for it (given our great start) and add more players in January?

Personally, I think that Danns/James could replace Drinky if needed. And Waggy/Schlupp could come in for Nuge.

But what about Wes? If he gets injured I think we'd have a tough job on to replace him.

Have we got a good enough SQUAD or do you think Pearson will be looking at reinforcing? Should he, or not?

Opinions please.

The biggest fear, as you have identified, would be losing Morgan and I think how we deal with that will largely depend on how Whitbread turns out. I think if Wes was out for any length of time an experienced defender would have to be brought in, either on loan or as a permanent signing in January. I think if Schmeichel was out we would also have to bring someone experienced in. The rest of our squad is okay for depth I think and I wouldn't want to see signings for the sake of it.

I would expect Pearson to add another signing in January to bolster our squad for the run in, provided of course he has the funds available to do so. I very much doubt that what we have now will have to last out the whole season.

Opinions please.

This could have been such a good poll. Dissapointed.

We don't need to collect players for the sake of it, we don't want to be bringing in young untested premiership youth team players. What we want are some experienced heads that aren't going to be expecting to play every week but are capable of stepping in and doing a job.

I don't know of any off hand that are available, but that is what we should be looking for as an emergency loan, I don't know if Hibbert is still available and if he would be willing to play a squad role, in January we shouldn't really sign anyone who doesn't clearly strengthen the first team.

Hoping ZW steps in now and establishes his place. short term schulpp can cover LB but not sure how he would get on longer..

Waiting to see how richie does on loan as even though pre season i was one wanting to get rid seeing him on sky he seemed to have lost a load of weight and could come back fresh. also need to know whats happening with danns

Would like to see another striker here though

Isn't the biggest danger if we lose Schmeichel for any length of time? It's always a problem with keepers because the only cover is another keeper, whereas with outfield players there's always someone who can fill in, at least for a while, and we do have a pretty good squad overall. I've not seen Logan much, but I don't think he could do what Schmeichel does for us.

Meh... we will be promoted by January, so no need to worry :):thumbup:

Seriously, given his success in the markets so far im sure we will see a couple of players in, if he lets those that are on loan go out. I think the squad we have (including our players out on loan) is pretty strong so unless there is some good business to be done i dont expect too much action.

Good thread Col - we're doing well at the minute, but we can't afford to rest on our laurels. The good thing is, Pearson will be planning for stuff like this - I'm sure he's got plenty of ideas for emergency loans or transfers in January dependent on our situation. Plus you know with Pearson he will always be looking for improvement from the squad, regardless of our run of results.

It might sound funny but I never even contemplated the idea of losing Morgan to injury, the guy just seems like an absolute rock - feels like he's been playing for Leicester for years already, even though in reality it's only been a few months. The guy is absolutely awesome and you're right - if we lose him, we're going to struggle to replace him. This is why Whitbread needs to come into the side now and make the CB starting berth alongside Morgan his own, because if Whitbread reaches the level I think he can, then if we DO lose Morgan to injury at some point, then I'll be a lot more confident if we have St Ledger or Moore playing alongside an in-form Whitbread.

I think if we lose anyone defensively to injury then we'll get a loan in, but I think it's more likely that they will be brought in to make up the numbers in the squad rather than to start every game. I really rate Shane Duffy from Everton and I'd love to see him come here on loan.

One player who I'd love us to buy in January (doubt it'll happen, but a boy can dream) is Mark Davies. If Bolton are still in the doldrums come January and we're still flying high, who knows? He provides something very different to the central midfielders we've got at the minute and if we ship out Danns and Wellens in January, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility, then we are going to need some more CMs.

Archived