Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How could we improve the team?

We'll never have the perfect team. Finishers - Beckford, Nugent, Waghorn, Vardy (at some point I'm sure) ,Sclupp. We have the best attack in the league. No more tinkering. These players can achieve promotion and they have the manager to carry it through.

If Waghorn's a finisher so am I lol

Ive said countless times how we can improve this team. Don't anyone listen? lol

Jay Emmanuel Thomas at Ipswich is good now. He's gonna become very good. Watch this space.

:thumbup:

It's a shame he isn't very good already or we'd be top of the league right now. :mad:

As for the squad I think it is interesting that most people haven't been able to name realistic targets and that's because good players that will actually improve our side are not easily identifiable. I'd try and hold out until January unless we suffer some injuries and our hand is forced and even then only sign someone who, on paper at least, will be a definite improvement on what we have.

Having said that Pienaar would be a cracking signing. :giggle:

It just really struck me how difficult it would be to IMPROVE the team... sure... getting a couple of people in for cover might helpthe SQUAD but I was more thinking of improving the team.

All i could really think of is that Kyle Naughton is back at tottenham isnt he? I dont think RDL is doing terribly at all.... and im not sure if we could persuade Tottenham to let him come back down to the championship but he has only played once in the league, i think... but I do think he would be an improvement....

It's short sighted to say we're doing fine and therefore we don't need to add anyone.

I'm not saying we're desperate but we're 10 games in, if we lose on Saturday we could potentially be outside the top 6 I think.

As someone has said we've only got the 7th best attack, so there's room for improvement. We're all pleased with how things are going at the moment but even so, I think if we're honest we know we're not blessed with a load of natural finishers. Vardy is doing well on the whole but he's shown he can be guilty of missing chances.

And thats not even really the issue, if he or Nugent get injured, which looks the case this week, we've not really got great striking options on the bench. Futacs isn't a goalscorer, Waghorn's not shown much worthwhile form for quite some time, Schlupp is unproven and I don't think Pearson favours him in a front 2 and at the moment it's looking like we can forget about Beckford. So the way I see it is we've got 4 strikers and 2 aren't particularly good.

Of course I'm not saying these players aren't capable of doing a good job but I'm not convinced we don't need a bit more as a safety net. I said a month or so ago that if Beckford wasn't in Nigel's plans I think we will need a new striker at some point and I stick by that. We don't necessarily need one right away but at some point in the season I think we will. A loan from a Premiership club may well do the trick, I'm not suggesting throw £8m at someone for a striker Nicky Maynard style.

To answer an earlier question I don't have anyone particular in mind, I'll leave that to big Nige. :thumbup:

I can't believe people seriously consider schlupp as a viable left back option because of a 10 minute cameo!

Desperate times called for a desperate measure. So a left back back up for me. Konchesky is quality though I know on here the jury always seems to be out on that.

I like waggy but we need him to be in the same form as the playoff campaign for him to be seriously relied upon

Didn't he start his career at left back?, played there under Sven a couple of times, played there in pre-season plus his cameo. He's always looked good there and is perfectly capable of playing anywhere down the left as well as up front. I wouldn't be worried if Pearson chose to start him there this season

It's short sighted to say we're doing fine and therefore we don't need to add anyone.

I'm not saying we're desperate but we're 10 games in, if we lose on Saturday we could potentially be outside the top 6 I think.

As someone has said we've only got the 7th best attack, so there's room for improvement. We're all pleased with how things are going at the moment but even so, I think if we're honest we know we're not blessed with a load of natural finishers. Vardy is doing well on the whole but he's shown he can be guilty of missing chances.

And thats not even really the issue, if he or Nugent get injured, which looks the case this week, we've not really got great striking options on the bench. Futacs isn't a goalscorer, Waghorn's not shown much worthwhile form for quite some time, Schlupp is unproven and I don't think Pearson favours him in a front 2 and at the moment it's looking like we can forget about Beckford. So the way I see it is we've got 4 strikers and 2 aren't particularly good.

Of course I'm not saying these players aren't capable of doing a good job but I'm not convinced we don't need a bit more as a safety net. I said a month or so ago that if Beckford wasn't in Nigel's plans I think we will need a new striker at some point and I stick by that. We don't necessarily need one right away but at some point in the season I think we will. A loan from a Premiership club may well do the trick, I'm not suggesting throw £8m at someone for a striker Nicky Maynard style.

To answer an earlier question I don't have anyone particular in mind, I'll leave that to big Nige. :thumbup:

Futacs isn't a goalscorer? He scored in his pre-season games, he scored against Burton, he scored for our under 21s and he's scoring for the under 21s at international level. How is he not a goalscorer? Because he's a target man? Well, he's a target man that scores goals. He's scoring when he gets a chance to play, what more can he do?

Futacs isn't a goalscorer? He scored in his pre-season games, he scored against Burton, he scored for our under 21s and he's scoring for the under 21s at international level. How is he not a goalscorer? Because he's a target man? Well, he's a target man that scores goals. He's scoring when he gets a chance to play, what more can he do?

That's hardly Championship level. Think he scored four for Portsmouth last season.

That's hardly Championship level. Think he scored four for Portsmouth last season.

5 in a rubbish team. Under 21 internationals isn't championship level? Most under 21 players will come from this level or it's equivalent in other countries or higher and I repeat, what more can he do but score when he gets a chance to play?, which he's doing

And his goal against burton was an absolute cracker :thumbup:

Not unless they are handing out 4 points for a win nowadays. Whoever is 6th has 17 points, we have 21. Poor research, do you work for the Mercury!!

Sell Gallagher that is how you could improve the team.

Alan Judge from Notts County looks a prospect,last season he racked up with 12 assists and 10 goals

This season so far he has 5 assists and 2 goals

If we are after a striker I would go for Jason Roberts from Reading he has that experience and know how of seeing out promotion from this division.

Here's a radical thought.......

How about getting the best from the players we already have?....... :dunno:

In forward areas I think we have tremendous potential but are not even close to realising it. There is lots more to come from Knockaert, Marshall and Vardy for a start.

Movement and flexibility is the key, we are bringing the ball out of defense nicely, but there are still not enough options for our defenders/midfielders to hit.

Lose Knockaert and we are in deep shit, apart from him only Dyer really 'shows' for the ball, and useful as he is, he is not going to get the job done.

Here's a radical thought.......

How about getting the best from the players we already have?....... :dunno:

In forward areas I think we have tremendous potential but are not even close to realising it. There is lots more to come from Knockaert, Marshall and Vardy for a start.

Movement and flexibility is the key, we are bringing the ball out of defense nicely, but there are still not enough options for our defenders/midfielders to hit.

Lose Knockaert and we are in deep shit, apart from him only Dyer really 'shows' for the ball, and useful as he is, he is not going to get the job done.

We have Marshall and to a lesser extent Gallagher that could fulfill that role between the midfield and strikers.

We have Marshall and to a lesser extent Gallagher that could fulfill that role between the midfield and strikers.

Do you have any confidence that;

a) NFP would actually give either of them that role?

b) Would they be able to play it effectively?

Genuine question, given the fact that NFP still seems to think that he is actually playing Knockaert wide right. I am still concerned that we are only a poor performance or two away from having Knockaerts 'licence to roam' revoked in favour of a more rigid 4-4-2...... :dunno:

I doubt Knocky would take any notice -probably pretend he didnt understand

I would hope so....... :):thumbup:

My worry is this:-

With Knockaert playing in the hole NFP has the opportunity to set us up to take advantage of that, ie a 'proper' 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 setup.

I feel that this would suit our players well but it means NFP would have to play with one central striker and get the wide men to attack the box, after all in this setup they are primarily strikers, not wingers. Is he prepared to do that?

At present I would have to say not, he has been setting us up as a kind of lopsided 4-4-2, a more attacking version of the setup that was tried in the playoff season.

I would hope so....... :):thumbup:

My worry is this:-

With Knockaert playing in the hole NFP has the opportunity to set us up to take advantage of that, ie a 'proper' 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 setup.

I feel that this would suit our players well but it means NFP would have to play with one central striker and get the wide men to attack the box, after all in this setup they are primarily strikers, not wingers. Is he prepared to do that?

At present I would have to say not, he has been setting us up as a kind of lopsided 4-4-2, a more attacking version of the setup that was tried in the playoff season.

Except we've played a 4-2-3-1 on more than one occasion this season with Knocky in the hole, you just refuse to acknowledge this

Archived