Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Scottish Football

Dear me. Just watched the highlights. I work with a lot of Scottish lads who keep telling me the Scottish premiership is stronger than the English championship. Hibs had McGovern and Maybury and Hamilton had Jason Scotland who ran the show. What a terrible terrible league the SPL is.

I don't really get why people bang on about the SPL being shit.

The quality is less than England but so what? So is the Danish league, the Belgian league, the Czech league - basically every other league system in the world.

Outside of the top, say, six nations the quality of football gets remarkably shit. Not helped by those six nations picking up any decent players the rest or the world produces.

Should the Scottish stop supporting their local teams? Should the Danish? The Icelandish? The Hong Kongers?

Seriously, if you don't want to watch Scottish football, it's pretty easy to avoid. If you choose to and you know it's not got even a fraction of the money and talent that the Football League has (let alone the prem) what the **** are you moaning about?

• Like 1

I don't really get why people bang on about the SPL being shit.

The quality is less than England but so what? So is the Danish league, the Belgian league, the Czech league - basically every other league system in the world.

Outside of the top, say, six nations the quality of football gets remarkably shit. Not helped by those six nations picking up any decent players the rest or the world produces.

Should the Scottish stop supporting their local teams? Should the Danish? The Icelandish? The Hong Kongers?

Seriously, if you don't want to watch Scottish football, it's pretty easy to avoid. If you choose to and you know it's not got even a fraction of the money and talent that the Football League has (let alone the prem) what the **** are you moaning about?

True but the other leagues you are comparing it to have always been shit. The Scottish Premier used to be a good league with some top players including several England regulars. It is the sharp decline in quality over the past 10-20 years that is hard to explain.

If it's possible the SPL just got shitter.

Well, no.

"The Rangers" are deservedly in the lower league because they cheated. Hearts are deservedly in the lower league because they financially mismanaged their affairs. Hibs are deservedly in the lower league because they played generally terribly and specifically worse than the Accies in the playoff.

The SPL contains clubs which are deservedly there. 

If you think the SPL was shite to begin with, well that's another argument, but it didn't just get shiter. 

Edited by Vacamion

True but the other leagues you are comparing it to have always been shit. The Scottish Premier used to be a good league with some top players including several England regulars. It is the sharp decline in quality over the past 10-20 years that is hard to explain.

As was subsequently established, the England regulars in the SPL could only be afforded by cheating by "Old Rangers".  Those players shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Edited by Vacamion

We bang on about it because we find it amusing....and we don't like them.

We're not moaning, just pointing and laughing like football fans do.

The rest? Yeah, we know it all, thanks for sharing.

You see, I don't get that mentality, in football and in general.

Why take the piss out of a clearly inferior league? It's like ripping it out of the boy who is picked last every time you played football in school as he was too short/fat/tall/uncool/unfit. It's the same idea when it comes to LCFC - I love my team, but I don't understand massive hatred/pisstaking towards other teams. LCFC winning makes me happy, not other (inferior) teams losing.

Surely there's funnier ways to be...well, funny.

Why take the piss out of a clearly inferior league? It's like ripping it out of the boy who is picked last every time you played football in school as he was too short/fat/tall/uncool/unfit. It's the same idea when it comes to LCFC - I love my team, but I don't understand massive hatred/pisstaking towards other teams. LCFC winning makes me happy, not other (inferior) teams losing.

This is kind of what I was getting at. I get (and encourage) piss taking in sport, it's part of the fun of it. Derby lose to QPR in the play off final, give them both barrels, great.

Scotland drop points to shit teams like Lithuania, Moldova, Macedonia etc that they should beat? Laugh all you want.

Pointing out there's no money in their league and it's comparable in size, attendance, budget and quality to League One is just... stating the obvious?

Well, no.

"The Rangers" are deservedly in the lower league because they cheated. Hearts are deservedly in the lower league because they financially mismanaged their affairs. Hibs are deservedly in the lower league because they played generally terribly and specifically worse than the Accies in the playoff.

The SPL contains clubs which are deservedly there. 

If you think the SPL was shite to begin with, well that's another argument, but it didn't just get shiter. 

How do you think it will be affected next year, with three of the top five supported clubs not in it?

This is kind of what I was getting at. I get (and encourage) piss taking in sport, it's part of the fun of it. Derby lose to QPR in the play off final, give them both barrels, great.

Scotland drop points to shit teams like Lithuania, Moldova, Macedonia etc that they should beat? Laugh all you want.

Pointing out there's no money in their league and it's comparable in size, attendance, budget and quality to League One is just... stating the obvious?

yeah but it winds people up, whether it's obvious or not. 

• Like 1

Hey, i'm with you (and Finnegan tbh) but i was playing devils advocate (badly) by saying.. so what? We all know it's basic rotten human nature to take that mentality and it's not going to be any less prevalent in football fans so what's the point in bitching about it. The majority of us know better (inequality of euro footy finance - to use a technical term) but we choose to ignore that. Maybe some of us feel we can indulge in that mentality in football related matters because it 'doesn't really matter' and it's just 'part of the game'.

That might well be a big load of nonsense, sorry.

I just find it fairly asinine and childish, although there's a whole section of lad culture that take pride in being asinine and childish. Which is depressing enough as it is.

It's as boring as having to hear "omg Barca / Spain are so dull" every time they're on telly. You're not "winding people up", "trolling" or anything else, you're just making yourself look a simp to anyone with a brain. If you don't enjoy it, don't partake.

• Like 1

yeah but it winds people up, whether it's obvious or not. 

Exactly my point. Just don't understand the mentality of baiting someone like that for the laughs. Obviously some people think differently, though.

Hey, i'm with you (and Finnegan tbh) but i was playing devils advocate (badly) by saying.. so what? We all know it's basic rotten human nature to take that mentality and it's not going to be any less prevalent in football fans so what's the point in bitching about it. The majority of us know better (inequality of euro footy finance - to use a technical term) but we choose to ignore that. Maybe some of us feel we can indulge in that mentality in football related matters because it 'doesn't really matter' and it's just 'part of the game'.

That might well be a big load of nonsense, sorry.

Just because it's prevalent now doesn't mean it has to be liked.

Actually, I believe that such piss-taking and hatred is actually a reflection of the tribal part that takes football too seriously, rather than the other way round. Like you said, at the end of the day it is just a game.

lol not sure saying scottish football is shit is "#LADbanter" but hey ho. 

i've never said it was funny, was a good joke, wasn't childish etc, i just said it's true and it winds people up. look at this thread, finners and leicsmac getting their knickers in a twist because someone said scottish football was shit. they said it, got a reaction, they'll say it again. 

scottish football is shit in terms of quality, it's depressing to watch in the most part too. i'll give it a go if nothing else is on, like yesterday, and it just backs up the idea that it is shit. 

• Like 1

How do you think it will be affected next year, with three of the top five supported clubs not in it?

Of course there will be less money for SPFL clubs when attendances are lower.  Hamilton Accies average attendance was less than 2,000 and Hibs was over 10,000.  Conversely, the clubs in the 2nd tier will benefit from increased attendances.

Most of the clubs up here are slowly getting the message that Scotland is a small country with impoverished clubs and crumbling infrastructure, so the best way to achieve success is to "grow your own" talent rather than buying 2nd rate foreigners.  Even the Old Firm, realising that money is tight, have stopped snapping up every talented player from the smaller clubs and parking them on their benches.

You could understand it that Partick Thistle and St Johnstone went for young Scottish players, but even Dundee Utd and Aberdeen have gone down that road in recent years.  It can only be good for the development of the Scotland national side, who, let's face it, have suffered massively from the way the game was run in the last 20 years.

In the the long run, the woes of The Rangers and the Edinburgh Clubs will make clubs cut their cloth properly.

Of course, Sellick should win the league in a procession, but the league split, the playoffs etc will make the rest of the league more competitive and, I hope, a decent watch on the occasions I amble down to Firhill and watch Partick Thistle throw away a lead in the last 5 mins...

:)

Edited by Vacamion

i've never said it was funny, was a good joke, wasn't childish etc, i just said it's true and it winds people up. look at this thread, finners and leicsmac getting their knickers in a twist because someone said scottish football was shit. they said it, got a reaction, they'll say it again.

scottish football is shit in terms of quality, it's depressing to watch in the most part too. i'll give it a go if nothing else is on, like yesterday, and it just backs up the idea that it is shit.

I agree with you about Scottish football in general. My argument is more with people that use the bloody obvious as a stick beat people with, in life as in football. It's daft, surely there's more creative humour about?

But as you said, people just do it get a reaction, and some people seem to get off on winding people up. Fair enough.

Edited by leicsmac

Scottish football, Andy Murray, University, Stoodents, Arsenal all but a few I may look 'childish' 'sad' for doing but hey it gets a reaction.

:doh: I've let my secret slip lol

I'm not denying they are my opinions and feelings on the matters but the fact it gets reactions add to the fun.

Edited by Matt

Scottish football, Andy Murray, University, Stoodents, Arsenal all but a few I may look 'childish' 'sad' for doing but hey it gets a reaction.

:doh: I've let my secret slip lol

I'm not denying they are my opinions and feelings on the matters but the fact it gets reactions add to the fun.

Genuine question here...what do you actually get out of it? Does it give you a rush?

I'm genuinely interested in the reasons.

Genuine question here...what do you actually get out of it? Does it give you a rush?

I'm genuinely interested in the reasons.

Like I say they are my opinions, they are my feelings the fact it winds people up is just funny. What do I get out of it? Nothing really, cos' i'm not gonna change opinions and i'll argue my opinion and make me point know.

What I will say is in the past is I have been know to agree to disagree, take people's points on board and give people chance to change my opinion, i'll always listen to other people's opinions unlike many on here who just result to abuse and not willing to listen.

I don't think the opposite to someone just to wind them up, but if I do think the opposite and winds them up well it's their problem is all I can say

Like I say they are my opinions, they are my feelings the fact it winds people up is just funny. What do I get out of it? Nothing really, cos' i'm not gonna change opinions and i'll argue my opinion and make me point know.

What I will say is in the past is I have been know to agree to disagree, take people's points on board and give people chance to change my opinion, i'll always listen to other people's opinions unlike many on here who just result to abuse and not willing to listen.

I don't think the opposite to someone just to wind them up, but if I do think the opposite and winds them up well it's their problem is all I can say

Ah right, so you don't get a kick out of it, you just think its a funny side effect of stating your opinion in the way that you do.

Fair enough. I remember Wimbledon last year.  :P

Kudos to you for sticking to your guns but being able to change if swayed. Don't ever change on Arsenal being tossers, though.  :ph34r:

• Like 1