Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Scottish Football

Tonnes of standing in the SPL, guess thats why they are so pro safe standing.

Yeah this is what I was thinking. Obviously the likes of Celtic have a decent sized faction of 'ultra like' fans. Didn't realise the rest of the clubs did too.

Just a shame they have crap football to watch

It looks exactly how i see most of scottish football, shite lol . There's no other word for it the standard's awful.

But it always seems more passionate than our division(s). I'm not getting into the standard of football debate, but Rangers and Celtic were always the top two, challenging, and no other team had the quality/consistency to maintain that standard. Is it like our Premier League? we only have the two Manchester clubs competing? I think we have the better quality, but some of our big clubs (Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and recently Chelsea) dont compete like United and City.

Let's not forget we have some decent Scottish players in our Country... Charlie Adam, Steven Fletcher, Darren Fletcher, James Morrison, Barry Ferguson, Steven Naismith, Robert Snodgrass, Steven Whittaker etc. Plus, the quality what Hibernian produce has been pinched by the likes of Celtic and Rangers in the past, much like Crewe and West Ham in our Country.

Plus, Celtic's run in the European Cup this year proves they have something.

Guest MattP

Plus, Celtic's run in the European Cup this year proves they have something.

Yes a bent referee in two games against ten man Spartak and managing to kick a Spanish team off the pitch once.

Edited by MattP

I do hope the SPL don't go down the EPL route:-

SPL chiefs must revise the scheduling of evening kick-offs for powderkeg clashes in the wake of ugly scenes at the Edinburgh derby, the Justice Secretary has warned.

• A ballboy was spat at by at least two supporters

• Claims Hibs’ Irish defender Tim Clancy was spat at during the game

• Reports of sectarian chanting

• A barrage of coins were reportedly thrown by both sets of supporters

• Widely reported accounts of a lit flare landing at the feet of young Hibs fan

Kenny MacAskill MSP said the level of disorder witnessed at Tynecastle on Thursday night – which saw fans allegedly spit into the face of a young ballboy and reports of a flare being hurled at Hibs fans – demonstrated a clear link between all-day drinking and widespread thuggery inside football grounds.

Speaking just hours after the “unacceptable†scenes, Mr MacAskill called for football chiefs to launch a review into late kick-off times which 
created the conditions for 
prolonged drinking and fuelled disorder.

Mr MacAskill said: “There is no denying the link between public disorder at football matches and alcohol abuse, and late kick-off times do 
nothing to help this – these matters need to be addressed.

“These most recent incidents of crowd disorder only reaffirm this. The behaviour witnessed last night is totally unacceptable and clearly shows the football authorities that the problem is not just an Old Firm one but is more widespread.

“I would therefore strongly urge the football association to review the issue of fixture 
timing.â€

The timing of the Justice Secretary’s intervention has raised the spectre future evening kick- off times for Edinburgh derbies could be kicked into touch.

Hibs-supporting Independent MSP Margo MacDonald said the timing of certain fixtures should now be called into question. She said: “I don’t think the timing of all evening games need to be reviewed – just certain ones. This fixture was moved to a time to suit television which allowed people who had been drinking too much because of the holidays to display reprehensible 
behaviour. Violence and flare throwing have no place in football. It’s disgusting behaviour.

“It could be that this is a welcome juncture to review the timing of our most problematic evening kick-offs.â€

SPL bosses are yet to receive the match report from their own monitor, and are wary of commenting on events and the possibility of a review of evening kick-offs before viewing this dossier – the report is expected to be lodged early next week. Evening kick-offs have drawn heavy criticism in recent weeks after trouble also flared during Celtic and Dundee’s Boxing Day Clash at Dens Park.

Fighting among fans, coin throwing and fireworks offences were all reported and five people have been reported to the procurator fiscal over alleged offences at the match.

Derby match commander Superintendent Jim Leslie, of Lothian and Borders Police, believes fans had too long in the pub before kick-off. He said afterwards: “What we had was an evening kick-off on Boxing Day where football fans had ample time to get through a lot of alcohol.â€

This latest warning from the Justice Secretary comes after police confirmed they are 
questioning a schoolboy over allegations he spat in the face of a ballboy during the ill-
tempered match.

The 13-year-old, who is understood to have handed himself into police following a backlash on the social network site Twitter, is the second 
suspect to be investigated over the incident after police yesterday confirmed an arrest had been made inside the ground.

Hearts security chiefs are understood to be reviewing CCTV footage of suspected crowd trouble amid claims of coin throwing and a lit flare being hurled into the Hibs support in the Roseburn Stand and landing at the feet of a child.

Hibs fan Danny Sweeney was sitting just feet away from the device, which he believes was hurled by home fans in the Wheatfield Stand.

He said: “It hit a barrier on the middle concourse and dropped at the feet of a wee boy. I think it was his father who jumped up and kicked it away. It was either a flare or smoke bomb. The kid was very upset. There’s no need for this kind of thing at football, it could have been a lot worse.â€

A second Hibs fan, John Paul Blair, condemned the throwing of the flare. The eyewitness to the shock incident said: “The flare was emitting maroon smoke. It was actually a true flare, and not a smoke bomb. It hit a Hibs fan walking on the Roseburn stand concourse, and landed at the feet of a six-year-old fan. This is a serious criminal offence which carries a prison term. The child, or someone else could have been seriously burned by the flare. As it is, the Hibs fan has a scorch mark on his jacket which saved him from physical injury.â€

Hearts FC have confirmed they are aware of a flare or smoke bomb being thrown during the game.

It is understood the club is carrying out inquiries to establish exactly what happened during the incident.

Meanwhile, Hibernian FC has vowed to take “appropriate action†against the spitting offenders but would not be drawn on whether sanctions could mean a lifetime ban. A club spokesman said: “Hibernian FC cannot condone 
any form of unacceptable behaviour. Once we have been notified of the individual’s details through the protocol agreement we have in place with Lothian and Borders Police then appropriate action will be taken against the individual.â€

Mike Reilly, chairman of Hibs Supporters Association, said: “What happened at the derby was disappointing. Maybe the players on the park don’t help much when you see some of the ridiculous tackles that were going in.

“The vileness was there at that game which never used to be there in years gone by. There’s a bit of hatred coming across now and it’s hard to pinpoint why that is.

“Some games seem to be on a knife edge with trouble. I wish it could be like Liverpool and Everton, where families sit together in the same stands.

He added: “To be brutally honest, we were worried there might be problems when the late kick-off was announced. I would have preferred it to be earlier but I think all football fans would like to go back to 3pm fixtures on a Saturday.

“The Hibs Supporters’ Club in Sunnyside wasn’t any busier than usual and I didn’t see any more drinking than normally would have been done before a game. But I agree with the Justice Secretary that drinking all day before a 7.45pm kick-off on a holiday is maybe not the best thing. I don’t see why you can’t have an afternoon kick-off.â€

Lothian and Borders Police have vowed to hunt down people who take items such as flares to games. They said: “Unacceptable behaviour extends to sectarian, racist or homophobic chanting and we will pursue those responsible – either during the game or after.â€

Troubled times at night matches

A NUMBER of evening SPL fixtures have been marred by trouble over the years.

On Boxing Day, yobs threw coins and set off fireworks at Dundee’s clash with Celtic at Dens Park. Police had to mop up skirmishes among the 3000-strong travelling support, right.

In January 2002, crowd trouble marred a late match between Aberdeen and Rangers. The game was held up for 20 minutes as home fans climbed on to the pitch after Dons player Robbie Winters was hit by a coin thrown from away fans.

In February last year, a 13-year-old Hearts ballboy was struck in the lower back by a coin thrown from the Celtic crowd during a late-night clash.

This came less than a year after Hearts fan John Wilson ran on to the pitch at Tynecastle and lunged at Celtic manager Neil Lennon.

Rangers chief executive Charles Green believes the club should quit Scottish football if the proposed 12-12-18 reconstruction plans are pushed through.

The proposed merger between the Scottish Football Leaguespacer.gif and Scottish Premier League, which would see the two top divisions split into three groups of eight after 22 games, could be implemented as soon as next season, with both sets of clubs voting on it at the end of January.

But Green told RangersTV: "If this does happen what is the point of us finishing the season? Why should we send players out to get broken noses - like Ross Perry last week - or have players getting surgery when no-one can get promoted and no-one can get relegated.

"We might as well have a winter break now til next August. I can't see any point in carrying on with meaningless matches.

"In what league do you win a division and then end up playing the same teams again the following season? There is no meaning to it, in reality.

"My advice to the board of Rangersspacer.gif is the quicker we can leave Scottish football the better. I can't see anything that is going to transform the finances, the status or the excitement.

"On first glance, of course, there is nowhere for us to go because FIFA have made their feelings known on cross-border leagues.

"Hand on heart today there isn't an option but that doesn't mean we shouldn't start looking for an option."

http://www1.skysport...sals-go-through

After what went off in Manchester a few years ago, there's not a Chief Constable in England who would accept Rangers joining an English league.

This is just Green bumping his gums again because Rangers weren't at the meeting where they decided to restructure.

Green is going on about Fifa and FAs not liking cross borders leagues and such. What about Swansea and Cardiff then?

Also try and make sense of this wacky league structure:

a Premier League of 12 teams, a Championship of 12 teams and a National League of 18.

The top two divisions would split after two rounds of fixtures in which teams had met home and away.

These eight clubs would have their points re-set to zero then meet twice, home and away, with the bottom four clubs being relegated at the end of the season.

The bottom eight clubs in the lower division would also play-off against one another.

The top eight clubs would then meet a further twice home and away, while the bottom four clubs would play against the top four from the Championship.

From BBC

WTF?

Edited by Les-TA-Jon

Tell you what though it would be interesting to see them in our league.

No it wouldn't!

Anyway, I'm amazed Green is so against it. It sounds shit to me but it also sounds like a "Get Rangers back to the Premier League as quickly as possible", project. If as expected the go up this year, rather than still being two divisions away from the top flight they'll be one promotion away.

No it wouldn't!

Anyway, I'm amazed Green is so against it. It sounds shit to me but it also sounds like a "Get Rangers back to the Premier League as quickly as possible", project. If as expected the go up this year, rather than still being two divisions away from the top flight they'll be one promotion away.

But he'd prefer to be in the EPL.

But he'd prefer to be in the EPL.

Well that's obvious but it's not going happen so he can piss off. He owns a Scottish team in the Scottish League, and they are being fast tracked to the top flight. He should be happy.

Green is going on about Fifa and FAs not liking cross borders leagues and such. What about Swansea and Cardiff then?

When Swansea and Cardiff joined the english leagues there wasn't a bloody welsh league for them to play in in the first place. Major difference between that and the huns doing some sabre-rattling because they aren't getting their way.

It's not about being champions.

It's the principle, they didn't want rangers when it suited them, but they're realising without us the spl is nothing.

Exactly.

The league isn't important now and they can see it, Celtic's average attendance has dropped to 45,000 and that's only going to get lower as the boredom gets even worse as they forge further clear. It's a good job they got through the groups of the CL.

Let them wallow, the boycott of any clubs away tickets should happen for ten years minimum to make them suffer for their petulance in relegating Rangers. Dundee Utd is the first of many, hit them in the pocket.

Edited by MattP

Exactly.

The league isn't important now and they can see it, Celtic's average attendance has dropped to 45,000 and that's only going to get lower as the boredom gets even worse as they forge further clear. It's a good job they got through the groups of the CL.

Let them wallow, the boycott of any clubs away tickets should happen for ten years minimum to make them suffer for their petulance in relegating Rangers. Dundee Utd is the first of many, hit them in the pocket.

How are the other clubs the petulant ones here?