Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
desertfox86

Waghorn

Can't believe people are still moaning about Waghorn, the kid looked like Wayne Rooney on saturday! If he didn't have technique he wouldn't be a corner and free kick taker. The one thing he lacks slightly is composure, which in 5 years time when he is Nugents age range he will probably have. I think he is getting better and better.

The 6 efforts that have hit the woodwork would, most probably, have been slotted away by a better finisher.

Rubbish, one of the two agains Derby was pushed onto the bar by the keeper with Waghorn doing well, the other a free-kick, nothing to do with his quality as a striker. The Sheffield Wednesday chance was a decent way out and I think it's harsh to criticise him for hitting the bar there. The Leeds chance was at a ridiculous angle and I doubt there's anyone who would of finished that one. I don't remember all of them, but that comment is just ridiculous Col.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

The 6 efforts that have hit the woodwork would, most probably, have been slotted away by a better finisher. If they had been, we'd be top of the league I think it's fair to say.

Goal scoring is an art, an instinct if you like. And the difference between scoring and not is a really fine margin.

Here's the rub... Do you continue to trust and rely upon Waghorn, an enthusiastic, hard working young player and ACCEPT the misses? Or do you look to find the striker who could take more chances than they miss?

It's a tough call and one Pearson will have to address. Personally, I think he'll stick with Waggy.

I think he'll stick with Waghorn too, and IMO that will prove to be a good decision. And yes, i know where you're coming from, but you can't say for instance that his effort against Leeds was a 'miss.' It was a great piece of skill to get it on target, let alone hit the bar with.

I'm a Waghorn fan, but i'm not here to wind all the anti-Waghorn brigade up. Just simply stating i think he will be very valuable for us now this season. His goalscoring record will improve and even if he did only score 2 in 5 for the rest of the season i wouldn't be too frustrated at that. That would leave him with near enough 15 goals and his link up play has been excellent in recent games. He has more than proved his worth to this side and it's getting a bit boring having to continually defend him.

Nugent is our goalscorer as i see it for this year, and the rest chip in with goals. Very few sides have more than one player who will score 20+ in a season.

I think he'll stick with Waghorn too, and IMO that will prove to be a good decision. And yes, i know where you're coming from, but you can't say for instance that his effort against Leeds was a 'miss.' It was a great piece of skill to get it on target, let alone hit the bar with.

I'm a Waghorn fan, but i'm not here to wind all the anti-Waghorn brigade up. Just simply stating i think he will be very valuable for us now this season. His goalscoring record will improve and even if he did only score 2 in 5 for the rest of the season i wouldn't be too frustrated at that. That would leave him with near enough 15 goals and his link up play has been excellent in recent games. He has more than proved his worth to this side and it's getting a bit boring having to continually defend him.

Nugent is our goalscorer as i see it for this year, and the rest chip in with goals. Very few sides have more than one player who will score 20+ in a season.

Great post.

:thumbup:

I'm sure that's what Nige will do.

Rubbish, one of the two agains Derby was pushed onto the bar by the keeper with Waghorn doing well, the other a free-kick, nothing to do with his quality as a striker. The Sheffield Wednesday chance was a decent way out and I think it's harsh to criticise him for hitting the bar there. The Leeds chance was at a ridiculous angle and I doubt there's anyone who would of finished that one. I don't remember all of them, but that comment is just ridiculous Col.

Don't agree mate to be honest.

A good, in-form striker buries their chances. They don't allow the keeper to 'make a save'.

Did you see the Derby keeper 'make a save' when Nuge came on and took his chances?

It was the same keeper who had saved a couple of Waggy efforts earlier in the same game, yet he got nowhere near Nugent's.

What you seem to do Mark is almost to try to make my posts into some sort of Waggy bashing.

They aren't. If you read them I've stated Waggy has been exceptional recently, in terms of effort and build-up play.

But I'm still not convinced he's an ace goal scorer. You are... Fair enough.. I'm not yet.

So you don't want Waghorn because he's not as good as Nugent. Nugent is on track for 20 goals this year. How many teams have been promoted with two strikers scoring that amount, not many because it doesn't happen much?

He doesn't need to be scoring as much as Nugent, he just needs to chip in with a half decent number. And playing as he is he wil do.

People were after a 20 goal striker... Now only having two of them is good enough.

Don't agree mate to be honest.

A good, in-form striker buries their chances. They don't allow the keeper to 'make a save'.

Did you see the Derby keeper 'make a save' when Nuge came on and took his chances?

It was the same keeper who had saved a couple of Waggy efforts earlier in the same game, yet he got nowhere near Nugent's.

What you seem to do Mark is almost to try to make my posts into some sort of Waggy bashing.

They aren't. If you read them I've stated Waggy has been exceptional recently, in terms of effort and build-up play.

But I'm still not convinced he's an ace goal scorer. You are... Fair enough.. I'm not yet.

I'm not saying you're bashing him (at the moment), I'm just saying that the shots that hit the bar were difficult chances generally, so it's a little harsh and naive to say that a better striker would have scored them. You have to take into account the difficulty of the chances, it's far too simplistic to just say 'a better striker would have scored them' when that's simply not true with quite a few of those chances, surely you can see that.

I don't think he's an 'ace goalscorer', but I also don't think we need two.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

The 6 efforts that have hit the woodwork would, most probably, have been slotted away by a better finisher. If they had been, we'd be top of the league I think it's fair to say.

Goal scoring is an art, an instinct if you like. And the difference between scoring and not is a really fine margin.

Here's the rub... Do you continue to trust and rely upon Waghorn, an enthusiastic, hard working young player and ACCEPT the misses? Or do you look to find the striker who could take more chances than they miss?

It's a tough call and one Pearson will have to address. Personally, I think he'll stick with Waggy.

Not necessarily. The effort at Sheffield Wednesday was a curling effort, as was one of those against Derby. They weren't gilt-edged chances.

I'm not saying you're bashing him (at the moment), I'm just saying that the shots that hit the bar were difficult chances generally, so it's a little harsh and naive to say that a better striker would have scored them. You have to take into account the difficulty of the chances, it's far too simplistic to just say 'a better striker would have scored them' when that's simply not true with quite a few of those chances, surely you can see that.

I don't think he's an 'ace goalscorer', but I also don't think we need two.

He is still being bashed for his misses against wolves, Burnley, Brighton and Birmingham when he wasn't fully match fit, and was snatching at chances and blazing them over, I do wish he had put that one away at wolves, that would have set him off on the right path and given him the confidence to bang them in regularly.

Hopefully his recent performances and goals and assists will give the fans the confidence in him that Nigel has, his technique has improved massively now he is match fit, and I don't think he has blazed one over for weeks now, but sadly that won't stop the criticism from some.

He is still being bashed for his misses against wolves, Burnley, Brighton and Birmingham when he wasn't fully match fit, and was snatching at chances and blazing them over, I do wish he had put that one away at wolves, that would have set him off on the right path and given him the confidence to bang them in regularly.

Hopefully his recent performances and goals and assists will give the fans the confidence in him that Nigel has, his technique has improved massively now he is match fit, and I don't think he has blazed one over for weeks now, but sadly that won't stop the criticism from some.

He's starting to win them over, I haven't heard anyone suggest he shouldn't start another game for Leicester because of his performance in the warm-up. Edit: Recently.

I'd lost faith in him here, I didn't think he had the ability to return to his best and would be better off leaving the club. However, his performances in the last few weeks have been outstanding and I'm delighted to be proven wrong. He's been holding the ball up, bringing others into play, his touch has improved immensely, scored a couple and perhaps should've had a couple more. His composure and accuracy infront of goal has been impressive, and I believe that he and Nugent could form a top partnership this season providing they both stay fit. Perhaps we could still do with another striker in January with that extra bit of experience up front to help us over the line, ala Jason Roberts, but for now I'm happy with Nugent and Waghorn as the first choice partnership. Waghorn really seems to have turned a corner recently, and long may his current form continue.

From where i was on Saturday his first free kick looked as if itd been fluffed forcing the keeper into a save. Looking back it was a cleverly disguised attempt on goal. Always loved the lad and qas disappointed that he came in for some undeserved stick since the playoff season.

Without doubt my favourite city player in a long long time

It's nice to see the fans behind the goals looking less frightened when Waggy is going to strike the ball. If he's now hitting the crossbar, then something is improving somewhere somehow. If you take the ratio of where the ball used to go to where it's going now, then we might find Waggy putting them away much more often and sooner than we think. It's only a matter of a foot more!

• 4 weeks later...

Deserves massive praise and respect for his improvement in form over the past couple of months imo. Ok so he's never going to be a 20 goal a season striker for us but he's a great option off the bench now and it takes a bit of pressure of Nugent. I think any combination of wood, waggy and Nuge will be a successful partnership. With waghorn sort of being the forgotten man at the start of this season it's felt like a new signing having him back.

I'm sure some will disagree but well done to the lad I say! And yes I know he scored when we already had the game won yesterday

Yeah it was nice to see him score, see no reason why he can't be used as third choice as he was in the Play-Off season and in the last couple of months he's started playing like that again. Wood and Nugent looks lethal and Waghorn isn't a bad option in case of injury or suspension, not sure if he's going to be such a good option off the bench but now that he's back to his best he might find it easier to slot into the side as he did yesterday.

Deserves massive praise and respect for his improvement in form over the past couple of months imo. Ok so he's never going to be a 20 goal a season striker for us but he's a great option off the bench now and it takes a bit of pressure of Nugent. I think any combination of wood, waggy and Nuge will be a successful partnership. With waghorn sort of being the forgotten man at the start of this season it's felt like a new signing having him back.

I'm sure some will disagree but well done to the lad I say! And yes I know he scored when we already had the game won yesterday

Always stuck by Waghorn. Even when everybody I knew were knocking him saying he was no good, I knew he would come good for us. It is obvious that Pearson fills him full of confidence, and this is testament to his good recent form. The volley yesterday would have gone 10 yards over a few months ago, great confidence to go for it first time.

Archived