Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
desertfox86

Waghorn

Yeah it was nice to see him score, see no reason why he can't be used as third choice as he was in the Play-Off season and in the last couple of months he's started playing like that again. Wood and Nugent looks lethal and Waghorn isn't a bad option in case of injury or suspension, not sure if he's going to be such a good option off the bench but now that he's back to his best he might find it easier to slot into the side as he did yesterday.

This post exemplifies what I've been trying to say Mark. I've never 'abandoned' or 'slated' Waggy, neither did I see him as an obvious first choice striker. Now we have our two clear first choice strikers. Nuge and Wood. With Waggy champing at the bit to come on when needed its happy days. I hope.

:thumbup:

This post exemplifies what I've been trying to say Mark. I've never 'abandoned' or 'slated' Waggy, neither did I see him as an obvious first choice striker. Now we have our two clear first choice strikers. Nuge and Wood. With Waggy champing at the bit to come on when needed its happy days. I hope.

:thumbup:

I've never said you'd abandoned him and did accept that suggesting you were slating him was a little over the top. I felt that he could start games regularly, do well for us and still be in a side challenging for a play-off position, you didn't seem to think that. We'll probably never know, but I'm glad that we're in agreement over how he should be used now that Wood is here.

Yeah it was nice to see him score, see no reason why he can't be used as third choice as he was in the Play-Off season and in the last couple of months he's started playing like that again. Wood and Nugent looks lethal and Waghorn isn't a bad option in case of injury or suspension, not sure if he's going to be such a good option off the bench but now that he's back to his best he might find it easier to slot into the side as he did yesterday.

Provides a extra options. I think he could also do a good good job in a wide/advance midfield area as well!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been saying it since Beckford went, and we do need another striker it is blatent.

(RE Vardy and Waghorn now being able to score enough) I know. Amazingly half the forum seem to be having trouble though.

Take out his little purple patch three years ago and what are you left with.

More like 600 odd I bet.

As I've said I work with Statistics, they are bollocks, you can maniuplate them to prove anything you want, Waghorn had a flurry of goals 3 years ago and it is keeping his average down. I could use that to make Beckford look like a top European striker with a goal every 174 minutes :-/ It's rubbish.

The fact of the matter is simple, he is not scoring enough goals, and if he doesn't start to score goals we need someone in in January.

They aren't comparable. At all, you are fortunate Cardiff have somehow managed to find their way to the top of the league again otherwise your arguement would have no weight at all. I don't know why you've posted Palace's up there, the partnership of Murray and Zaha have got 7 more goals than Nugent and Vardy, I wouldn't be complaining they had 19 between and we'd more than likely be top now if that was the case. Especially if Vardy or Waghorn were capable of playing like Zaha.

So aside from Cardiff lets have a look at the other teams in the top half, well as I have said. Borough have 2 or 3 scoring 5-6 goals and they are in the market for a striker as they see it as an area of weakness. Millwall - Wood, Henderson, Keogh. Hull. Hull Aloko (8) Simpson (5) and had Matty Fryatt not got injured we all know he can contribute double figures if he plays.

Even Brighton, another club how have been quite public about their lack of striking options to the point were Poyet has actually threatend his strikers with being replaced, have Ashley Barnes and Craig Mikel Smith who have scored marginally more goals than Vardy and Nugent.

What have we got below them, Watford, Deeny (6), Vydra (7) Forest Whilst hardly prolific all three of them have scored more than Vardy. Blackburn have got tons of options even with Best injured and Rhodes still bedding in.

Our striking options are among the worst in the top half, above you can see teams managing injuries with decent replacements. Our main striker gets injured, we are in serious Sh1t.

I have no issue with Vardy remaining at the club given time he could well come good it's a massive step up, however Waghorn in the mean time can link up and hassel people till the cows come, a striker needs to score at least some goals.

Someone want to tell me I'm wrong now?

Dying to hear you justifying not signing Chris Wood, dying.

Me too .... because Waggy was easily good enough and was going to fire us into the prem .... and we absolutely did not need another striker ..... Presumably the service Wood has had would have led to Waggy scoring 6 in 3???

Ladbrokes taking bets I see.

4/5 Manwell Pablo wins debate

4/1 Mark_W wins debate

2/1 All the comments get deleted

5/1 The debate turns into an argument about Beckford

10/1 The "discussion" i.e Waghorn slagging match lasts beyond tomorrow

100/1 Waghorn himself signs up to Foxes Talk, and joins in

Perhaps rather than being selective you should quote a few more posts. Stuff like me saying if the money is there to buy a better quality striker we should do so.

This has made you look like a prat I'm sorry to say.

Wood has made a fantastic start but today he was gifted two goals by terrible goalkeeping. Waghorn hit the bar 5 times in 4 games and saw goalkeepers produce incredible saves so he has been so unlucky. Not to say that Wood hasn't provided the missing link that we've required but we didn't NEED a striker but the signing of Wood has given us a new dimension and an edge that should benefit us in the long run. Waggy has been one of our better players when he's been on the pitch from what I have seen so far.

Perhaps rather than being selective you should quote a few more posts. Stuff like me saying if the money is there to buy a better quality striker we should do so.

Not like Babs to be right... Again.

You were right about one thing, that we need more options up front to compete with Cardiff, waghorn is one of those options, so is vardy, we will need to use all of them between now and the end of the season, and futacs too, injuries could play a big part in the run in so it is good that we have 5 quality strikers on the books. Wood has had a cracking start to his Leicester career and looks like the real deal got a few assists in there too, but lets not get carried away, it was only hudders and Bristol.

Dying to hear you justifying not signing Chris Wood, dying.

You asked if the four posts you made were wrong, I'm not going to justify not signing Chris Wood, just point out that not everything written in those posts is correct.

I've been saying it since Beckford went, and we do need another striker it is blatent.

Since Beckford went?

See that would suggest that you thought Beckford was an adequate option upfront. Yet so far Waghorn and Vardy have both put in better performances than Beckford did for 80% of last season, so I fail to see how Beckford leaving correlates with us needing a new striker, if you were happy with Beckford then you should surely be happy with Waghorn and Vardy who contribute more and who have both had a better first half of the season than Beckford had last year.

It isn't a hard concept to understand Waghorn and Vardy will not score a sufficient amount of goals.

I know. Amazingly half the forum seem to be having trouble though.

Depends on what you consider a sufficient number of goals. As I said after 23 games, if we had repeated our goal tally in the second half of the season we would have bettered what champions Reading managed last year in terms of goals, would that not have been sufficient?

Take out his little purple patch three years ago and what are you left with.

More like 600 odd I bet.

As I've said I work with Statistics, they are bollocks, you can maniuplate them to prove anything you want, Waghorn had a flurry of goals 3 years ago and it is keeping his average down. I could use that to make Beckford look like a top European striker with a goal every 174 minutes :-/ It's rubbish.

The fact of the matter is simple, he is not scoring enough goals, and if he doesn't start to score goals we need someone in in January.

If you take out 'his little purple patch' three years ago you're left with a season in which he was injured and a season when he was either not played by Sven or stuck out on the wing by Sousa. I think it'd be a lot fairer to remove those two spells myself. I think it's clear to see that Waghorn has been much closer to the player we had on loan in recent weeks as opposed to the player we've had play sporadically for the last two years. The goals will (if he starts games) and already have begun to come with that. The stats you have been provided with by me in the past have always been goals per minutes played in the Championship which is as fair as you're going to get, I don't change the way I judge players, but it would suggest that Martyn Waghorn is a perfectly sufficient striker for a club chasing a top six finish.

They aren't comparable. At all, you are fortunate Cardiff have somehow managed to find their way to the top of the league again otherwise your arguement would have no weight at all. I don't know why you've posted Palace's up there, the partnership of Murray and Zaha have got 7 more goals than Nugent and Vardy, I wouldn't be complaining they had 19 between and we'd more than likely be top now if that was the case. Especially if Vardy or Waghorn were capable of playing like Zaha.

So aside from Cardiff lets have a look at the other teams in the top half, well as I have said. Borough have 2 or 3 scoring 5-6 goals and they are in the market for a striker as they see it as an area of weakness. Millwall - Wood, Henderson, Keogh. Hull. Hull Aloko (8) Simpson (5) and had Matty Fryatt not got injured we all know he can contribute double figures if he plays.

Even Brighton, another club how have been quite public about their lack of striking options to the point were Poyet has actually threatend his strikers with being replaced, have Ashley Barnes and Craig Mikel Smith who have scored marginally more goals than Vardy and Nugent.

What have we got below them, Watford, Deeny (6), Vydra (7) Forest Whilst hardly prolific all three of them have scored more than Vardy. Blackburn have got tons of options even with Best injured and Rhodes still bedding in.

Our striking options are among the worst in the top half, above you can see teams managing injuries with decent replacements. Our main striker gets injured, we are in serious Sh1t.

I have no issue with Vardy remaining at the club given time he could well come good it's a massive step up, however Waghorn in the mean time can link up and hassel people till the cows come, a striker needs to score at least some goals.

I disagree. Cardiff this season have not got a single goalscorer on double figures (still), they're running away with the league. Last year Reading won the Championship with their top goalscorer Adam Le Fondre managing just 13 goals (one more than Nugent has about half way through the season), none of their other players had more than 8 goals to their name (A tally Andy King, Anthony Knockaert, Jamie Vardy and Martyn Waghorn all look set to beat). Yes we have a better attack and are more likely to succeed with Chris Wood, but to say that it was an absolute necessity, that we had no chance of challenging without doing so is naive. We have one of the best defenses in the league and prior to Chris Wood signing we had an adequate strikeforce. I'm delighted we've signed him, but don't think that his scoring goals is proof that other players can't or that we couldn't challenge for a play-off position which is what we all expected, prior to his signing.

Me too .... because Waggy was easily good enough and was going to fire us into the prem .... and we absolutely did not need another striker ..... Presumably the service Wood has had would have led to Waggy scoring 6 in 3???

Once again you fail to understand what the word need means. I think it's fair to say that the majority at the start of the season expected us to finish in the play-offs. My expectations haven't changed because of a few brilliant games and a few awful games I still expect and anticipate a play-off finish. In order to achieve a place in the top 6 we did not NEED to sign Chris Wood. I'm glad we have, but it was not a necessity. We were already in a play-off position prior to the signing of Chris Wood and we were starting to turn our form around prior to Chris Wood joining the club. Don't get me wrong I'm ecstatic that he's joined the club, but I don't believe not signing him would have stopped us getting into the play-offs so I don't think we needed him, obviously we'll never know for sure.

In conclusion, Nigel Pearson has done a great job in signing a top player, he has put us in a much better position to challenge for Automatic Promotion, I am delighted that he has joined the club. That does not make your posts correct, we could and I am certain would have challenged for at least the top six finish that we all expected at the start of the season and clubs like Reading (who had a similarly strong defence) and Cardiff have shown and are showing that you do not need two incredible goalscoring strikers to be at the top of the nPower Championship. The success of Chris Wood does not prove that our other players would have been incapable of pushing us into the position we genuinley NEED to be in.

When in Rome mate lol

EDIT: Sorry Mark I really can't be bothered to read all that I got 5 lines in and got bored! Might have another go later.

Archived